hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Danny Handling Question

What's evident is our midfield's legs have gone - not only that, but that they've been missing that creative spark. Plenty of drive for most of the season - McGinn, McGeouch, Henderson & Fyvie all offer that - but that extra creative playmaker is what we've been missing since Scott Allan left. You need that edge to compliment the drive that we do have in midfield, and in my opinion, until the wheels fell of at the end of February, we were scraping past teams without that extra creative quality from midfield.

Danny Handling has been injured for the majority of the season, but has been on the bench a few times these last few weeks. For the first part of last season when we went on that run, he put in some good performances and played his part at the tip of the diamond. Maybe giving him a run would freshen up the dynamic in the middle of the park? We need someone to align the midfield with the forwards and on paper he's the player we have in the squad whose game is most suited to achieving that.

The squad's there to be used and we've not seen enough of that from Stubbs. I don't expect him to entertain this idea at any point, but it just thought it'd be an interesting option to discuss.

What do the rest of you think? GGTTH.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I'd give him a go, he'd be like a new signing and realistically we have little to lose in the next 2 games.

@hibs.net private member
    I spoke to a couple of our midfielders tonight and they are adamant that their legs are fine and are relishing the challenges ahead.

Promising Youngster DownInAlbion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I spoke to a couple of our midfielders tonight and they are adamant that their legs are fine and are relishing the challenges ahead.
    To be fair I highly doubt the players are going to tell fans if they are feeling fatigued or not!

As for the DH question, if he's looking for an opportunity to prove himself, now's the time!

We won't see Danny on the pitch unless there is an injury crisis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    No he wouldn't improve our midfield.

Handling will do what he always has - show just enough promise to encourage his remaining supporters and tease the rest of us into wondering if he should be given another chance, without sustaining that level for long enough to actually deserve the backing he's already had.

He can have a decent career at a lower level than Hibs, but we have better players than him.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

I suspect he will be in stubbsy's future plans otherwise why would he have got a 4 year contract?

Quote Originally Posted by pacoluna View Post
    I suspect he will be in stubbsy's future plans otherwise why would he have got a 4 year contract?
    That'll be the same Stubbsy that told him he we free to find another club before he got injured.

Good question, given that he signed it just after Stubbs arrived and so the new manager hadn't seen him play.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    That'll be the same Stubbsy that told him he we free to find another club before he got injured.
    If i had just signed a 4 year contract for the team i support i wouldn't be in a rush to find a new club.Plus he is regularly on the bench which suggests he is in his plans

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    We won't see Danny on the pitch unless there is an injury crisis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Given we can't name a full bench surely that time has come?

Not for me I do not think he brings anything to our squad

Left by mutual consent!
    You know things are getting bad when Danny Handling is getting touted as our saviour.
    Before he got injured he hardly set the heather alight. Do you honestly think he is going to be any better now?

@hibs.net private member
    I suspect that Stubbs will take a look at him between now and the beginning of next season to evaluate whether he can play any part for hibs, he obviously didn't think so at the beginning of this season. If not he'll be told he can find another club or loaned out. I wish Danny all the best in his continued recovery but given that he was struggling to make an impact when we didn't have the midfield personnel we have now I very doubt he'll play any future part in hibs plans.

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think Danny Handling is there purely as a body on the bench.

I haven't seen enough in him to make me believe that he is going to improve things

He is also nowhere near match fit for the high pressure, high intensity games we are facing

Its obvious Stubbs either doesn't trust or rate any of our Under 20's

I refuse to believe Shaw is a worse bet, given their present goal scoring form than Dagnall or a chronically and permanently injured Farid.

The rate the Under 20's are getting punted out the door at the moment would back that up.

I know May is unpopular in some quarters but we needed a root and branch review of our youth structure as Hanlon would be the last to come right through the structure and claim a regular and lasting place, that's an appalling result for the money we spend on it.

We seem to recruit decent enough players and then fail to develop them.

I think he might be a good option for the next couple of games to give others a rest, especially as we'll need the likes of McGinn and Henderson to be fully fit/sharp for the playoffs and cup final.

@hibs.net private member Fergus52's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zazu rafike
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    He would when McGinn and Fyvvie can't sprint properly like in the second half against dundee utd and towards the end of the Rangers game.

First Team Breakthrough since90plustwo's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: FIN1875
    If i had just signed a 4 year contract for the team i support i wouldn't be in a rush to find a new club.Plus he is regularly on the bench which suggests he is in his plans
    Hes a rangers fan

Quote Originally Posted by BSEJVT View Post
    I think Danny Handling is there purely as a body on the bench.

I haven't seen enough in him to make me believe that he is going to improve things

He is also nowhere near match fit for the high pressure, high intensity games we are facing

Its obvious Stubbs either doesn't trust or rate any of our Under 20's

I refuse to believe Shaw is a worse bet, given their present goal scoring form than Dagnall or a chronically and permanently injured Farid.

The rate the Under 20's are getting punted out the door at the moment would back that up.

I know May is unpopular in some quarters but we needed a root and branch review of our youth structure as Hanlon would be the last to come right through the structure and claim a regular and lasting place, that's an appalling result for the money we spend on it.

We seem to recruit decent enough players and then fail to develop them.
    James McDonaugh seemed to be highly rated and was even mentioned by many on here as a possibility to take over after TB. It seems that as successful as his youth team were none of them seem to have/had the Steel, mentality or toughness needed to adapt to first team football. No doubt they had the technique but in the modern game that isn't enough.

Quote Originally Posted by EastCoastHibs View Post
    Hes a rangers fan
    well unless The rangers were after him i wouldn't be in a rush.
    Last edited by pacoluna; 25-04-2016 at 11:57 AM.

First Team Breakthrough since90plustwo's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: FIN1875
    James McDonaugh seemed to be highly rated and was even mentioned by many on here as a possibility to take over after TB. It seems that as successful as his youth team were none of them seem to have/had the Steel, mentality or toughness needed to adapt to first team football. No doubt they had the technique but in the modern game that isn't enough.
    Alot of them were released after we were relegated. Really bad stuff, players being promised contracts but then withdrawn then going into freefall. Alot of them very good players who never had the breaks. David Gold for example is widely regarded by people who played with him as the most technically gifted player they had seen but hes only just started getting gametime for arbroath. Phil Addison another, bright talent but never got the breaks. Hes a much better player than Cummings but JC has had the breaks.

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EastCoastHibs View Post
    Alot of them were released after we were relegated. Really bad stuff, players being promised contracts but then withdrawn then going into freefall. Alot of them very good players who never had the breaks. David Gold for example is widely regarded by people who played with him as the most technically gifted player they had seen but hes only just started getting gametime for arbroath. Phil Addison another, bright talent but never got the breaks. Hes a much better player than Cummings but JC has had the breaks.
    Whilst I don't doubt that there were a few folk let down after relegation and that that is unacceptable and regrettable, I would have to take issue with the rest of your post.

If some of the "talents" you say existed were let go they would have been picked up by other clubs and would have flourished by now, after all we are nearly 2 years on.

That they didn't suggests that talented boys or not there is something in their make up that has prevented them from making it.

I am sure James McDonagh is a lovely man and not without his abilities, but he has singularly failed at Hibs to develop youths completely and roundly enough for their to play for top flight teams.

The only two that spring to mind as exceptions are David Wotherspoon & Lewis Horner at ICT, although doubtless there are other examples.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    He would certainly have to come back as a far better player before his injury to do so, but I would play him in front of Thommo.

First Team Breakthrough
    Thought Scott Martin may have played a part for us this season

Quote Originally Posted by pennyhibee View Post
    Thought Scott Martin may have played a part for us this season
    He has been on loan at Forfar all season and getting great reviews up there

I heard a rumour that prior to his injury he really wasn't applying himself to the extent he should have, it was a case of got the contract, thought he'd cracked it! I hear he has decided to give it his all and I for one want to see him get the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    I heard a rumour that prior to his injury he really wasn't applying himself to the extent he should have, it was a case of got the contract, thought he'd cracked it! I hear he has decided to give it his all and I for one want to see him get the chance.
    You want him to get his chance because he's decided to give it his all lol? That's the least I expect from any player

Left by mutual consent!
    Seems an odd thread as there would be plenty in front of danny handling.

Quote Originally Posted by RAY View Post
    Seems an odd thread as there would be plenty in front of danny handling.

There are but we're looking jaded and fresh legs would be welcome right now, we're still missing McGeouch and Carmichael, one a certain starter and the other a good option from the bench, a wee 30 mins from Handling might come in handy here and there.