hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

STUBBS - "When you critisize one player it affects the whole team"

Says it all peeps, I think the fans need to back whoever is on the field, we don't see what Stubbs sees or know what he knows.

If we want to have a chance of getting out this League and/or lifting a cup, the fans need to play their part to!

GGTTH

2. Log in to remove the advert

He talks some guff. Where is this quote from?

@hibs.net private member
    Precisely the booing of Oxley (in sporadic amounts) after his error was appalling.

We all need to be pulling in one direction.

I think we all forget how young Oxley is and the good saves, one on one stops he has made etc.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes
    Booing is out of order in my opinion but when you make a howler like that the crowd is not going to sound positive about it, I don't know what the players expect? 100% applause all of the time?

I fully back hibs when I see them live, forums like this are a different medium and many of us use them to simply vent, if places like this are causing issues then players shouldn't be reading them. If we include social media like twitter then it's again a platform for knee jerk reactions not prolonged discussions and level headed opinions.

This place is the equivalent of a player walking in to a pub in the 80's or 90's having had a bad game and then taking what everyone says to heart. These discussions always happened, people were always idiots, some people knew more than others, some people were depressing about everything and some were 100% positive. The difference is all of these opinions are now public and last longer than the few minutes they are spoken.

I have posted loads of times out of sheer frustration on a match day that two days later I read it back and know my opinion was stupid and clouded by emotion.

Lets blame the supporters for failing to gain promotion last season and currently sitting 3rd in the championship this year.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by spike220 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Says it all peeps, I think the fans need to back whoever is on the field, we don't see what Stubbs sees or know what he knows.

If we want to have a chance of getting out this League and/or lifting a cup, the fans need to play their part to!

GGTTH
    Stubbsy is 100% correct. The critics have every right to intelligently make their point but please do not boo or similar to hibs players.

Quote Originally Posted by pacoluna View Post
    Lets blame the supporters for failing to gain promotion last season and currently sitting 3rd in the championship this year.
    Where does it say that?

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    Hibs tv

I remember Nish having a go at the boo boys. It was the start of a slippery slope for him. I don't see what Stubbs gains with these comments. Whatever it is he will get it thrown back at him ten fold the next time we go on a poor run. Clumsy and ill advised comments.

@hibs.net private member
    Nobody should be booing at the match but if people have an opinion (yes, even negative), then I don't see why they can't express it on a forum that people seem to get upset about.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    I remember Nish having a go at the boo boys. It was the start of a slippery slope for him. I don't see what Stubbs gains with these comments. Whatever it is he will get it thrown back at him ten fold the next time we go on a poor run. Clumsy and ill advised comments.
    No he is spot on and anyone having a pop at any player during the game needs to have their head looked at. Totally counter productive. Nothing wrong with having opinions however the place to share nonsensical guff is on places like this.

Stubbs put Oxley in that completely unnecessary position so he should look at himself first.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
    Stubbs put Oxley in that completely unnecessary position so he should look at himself first.
    Stubbs picked a winning team. There's nothing to look at.

@hibs.net private member Fergus52's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zazu rafike
    he scored 5 goals in 2 games to get us into europe straight after the interview.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    Nobody should be booing at the match but if people have an opinion (yes, even negative), then I don't see why they can't express it on a forum that people seem to get upset about.
    I'm pretty sure Stubbs meant at the game not online

All about opinions. I think he has every right to say that as we need everybody pulling in the same direction. Booing never helps anybody. Two vital wins is all he should be focusing on,not answering questions about booing. By all means vent your frustration at the end of the game bundling during the game just helps the opposition by unsettling our team.
    Ggtth.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
    we don't see what Stubbs sees or know what he knows.

Coaching Staff
    He's quite right, in my opinion. Fine for people to have opinions. However, the stick Oxley has got and the pure dreamery of people who think that Logan is the answer on the basis of one, albeit very good, performance is a nonsense. Other players also regularly get the treatment from a section of the support. Again, that happens but we have a bad habit at Hibs of going mental about players in a very destructive way.

If folk want to boo, get tickets for the pantomime.

Point missed totally......it was not an attack on anyone, he is telling us how it is: http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/tv/latest

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    How many people need to say that before people take notice and end the "fans fault" pish that stops any sensible debate?

We can ALL make a difference.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    How many people need to say that before people take notice and end the "fans fault" pish that stops any sensible debate?

We can ALL make a difference.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pacoluna View Post
    Where does he say anything even close to that?

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member
    What was noticable last night was that when The Rangers went behind their fans got right behind them with huge vocal support. When their keeper made a clown of himself for our second their fans were not baying for him to be hooked they simply got behind their team all the more. This is true of the fans of most teams and I remember fondly when it was very much the case with our fans at ER too. I cannot understand where we went wrong with this and decided that vicious criticism of our own players is somehow helpful to gaining results. I sincerely wish that a significant number of our fans were not the "sing when we're winning" variety and realised how important the 12th man can be when the team is struggling.

If we must have it, intimidation should be directed at the opposition and maybe even the referee, that has potential to gain advantage. I don't get why our fans do the opposition fans job for them. However, the opposition sure as hell do and play on it every week.

If you are a boo boy then, fair enough, you pay to get in but don't pretend for one minute you are supporting the team on the park.

Any Hibs fan booing our players last night were doing the The Rangers fans job for them.

Stubbs is spot on, booing any player is detrimental to the whole team. It shouldn't happen.

However, it was a completely predictable scenario, and one Stubbs chose to instigate. There was only ever going to be one reaction from the fans after Logan's heroics. I know we can't tell from one game if Logan is actually better consistently, but putting oxley back in was only going to draw more attention to him when he was already a little low on confidence.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by CentreLine View Post
    What was noticable last night was that when The Rangers went behind their fans got right behind them with huge vocal support. When their keeper made a clown of himself for our second their fans were not baying for him to be hooked they simply got behind their team all the more. This is true of the fans of most teams and I remember fondly when it was very much the case with our fans at ER too. I cannot understand where we went wrong with this and decided that vicious criticism of our own players is somehow helpful to gaining results. I sincerely wish that a significant number of our fans were not the "sing when we're winning" variety and realised how important the 12th man can be when the team is struggling.

If we must have it, intimidation should be directed at the opposition and maybe even the referee, that has potential to gain advantage. I don't get why our fans do the opposition fans job for them. However, the opposition sure as hell do and play on it every week.

If you are a boo boy then, fair enough, you pay to get in but don't pretend for one minute you are supporting the team on the park.
    Been going to Easter Road regularly for around 12 years now and the only time I remember it being like this was for the brief spell under Fenlon when we were high up the league and section 43 were noisy every game, especially when whenever we went behind. Made a massive difference IMO, really helped confidence players like Wotherspoon, Doyle and Cairney.

@hibs.net private member
    The treatment of Oxley does effect the team. When he came for the cross from the corner at the end and held it the all went to him. For me that was a sign of unity. That being said most fans just don't have confidence in him. But I don't think he got booed more groan at

Since time immemorial players have been subjected to criticism by fans and that's not going to change any time soon. I don't agree with booing individual players under any circumstances, but they cant and never will be immune from getting panned if they play badly.

However, a player will always keep the fans onside when poor form is accompanied by 100% effort. I can think of a few who fall / fell into that category.

Gareth Evans ..... for a striker he was hardly prolific, but he gave everything in a Hibs jersey.

Ivan Sproul ...... when he was bad he was really bad, but his will to keep going was beyond question .. though frustration sometimes got him in bother

Lewis Stevenson .... is Lewis Stevenson ...... nuff said.

And the latest on the list ( for me at least ) Fraser Fyvie ...... He is prone to the odd bad mistake, he has games where his passing just doesn't come off, but he never ever hides and always looks for the ball ..... I for one am really warming to him.

Which brings us to the obvious subject of Stubbsy's comment:

Up until now Mark Oxley has been ok as our keeper, but no more than that, he ( that I can recall ) has never had a memorable performance, nor has he had an utter Zibbiesque calamity. The corner at the end last night was his best moment in the game .... following the first goal, the fact that he carried the ball over to concede the corner and the clamour to have Logan replace him (which he must have been aware of) he obviously had determined that come what may he was going to claim that corner, no matter what it took. The upshot of all that was that he made the best catch of a ball into his box he has probably made all season.

But there's the problem in a nutshell ...... A professional keeper should be showing that determination to command his area at all times and its hard to make a good case to prove that Oxley does that. Too often he either lacks conviction when he goes for the ball, or he is indecisive about leaving his line and it all adds up to a keeper who gives the impression of being half hearted at times.

If the Mark Oxley who caught that corner last night was the Mark Oxley we see every week there wouldn't be a discussion to be had as to our number one keeper. As it is he now has competition from a keeper who in his one game for Hibs looked like he would be happy to rip off his own leg and chuck it at the ball if it would prevent a goal.

That gives Mark Oxley a problem and Alan Stubbs a selection dilemma ........ no amount of side swipes at the fans will change that, fans who by the way were brilliant last night.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fergus52 View Post
    Been going to Easter Road regularly for around 12 years now and the only time I remember it being like this was for the brief spell under Fenlon when we were high up the league and section 43 were noisy every game, especially when whenever we went behind. Made a massive difference IMO, really helped confidence players like Wotherspoon, Doyle and Cairney.
    Sadly I am going back a little further than that, this is my 51st year attending ER. For me the rot started as we progressed through the 80's when, to be fair, we had some poor teams compaired to the heady days of the Tornadoes. The introduction of over inflated pay to players generally seemed to herald an era when fans, who could only dream of some of the salaries going to players, felt they were owed something. With some justification too, if only it was our players at ER getting those huge wages. The problem is we are berating players trying their best and who do not earn a whole lot more than the average wage.
    Last edited by CentreLine; 21-04-2016 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CentreLine View Post

I agree with what Stubbs said but don't agree with your point, The Rangers fans have already seen their team win the title and beat their biggest rivals in the cup the past few weeks. Of course they'll get behind the team.

Did you hear them last season?