hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Left by mutual consent!

Would you take (young) children to a cup final v The Rangers?

• Having been involved in an unpleasant incident involving drunken Celtic fans a few years ago when our group had several kids in tow I made a decision not to attend games against Celtic or The Rangers with young children. I would also extend that to games at Tynecastle but I never go to them anyway. I find the atmosphere vile.

I like to think things have moved on from the 70s when a visit to Easter Road from Rangers really was a hideous experience on the terraces (even though we often beat them on the pitch!) but judging by some of the neanderthals shown celebrating the win over Celtic on the Scottish news last night it was as though these people had emerged from a land that time forgot. Anyone from outwith Scotland tuning in to that really would have had their eyes opened to an aspect of this country that undermines the SNP's attempts to portray it as somehow 'better' than England.

I have known and worked alongside a number of very decent fans of Celtic and The Rangers, but the bigger the club the bigger the proportion of idiots and I suspect next month's final may not be a pleasant place for young children in and around the stadium.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

• Having been involved in an unpleasant incident involving drunken Celtic fans a few years ago when our group had several kids in tow I made a decision not to attend games against Celtic or The Rangers with young children. I would also extend that to games at Tynecastle but I never go to them anyway. I find the atmosphere vile.

I like to think things have moved on from the 70s when a visit to Easter Road from Rangers really was a hideous experience on the terraces (even though we often beat them on the pitch!) but judging by some of the neanderthals shown celebrating the win over Celtic on the Scottish news last night it was as though these people had emerged from a land that time forgot. Anyone from outwith Scotland tuning in to that really would have had their eyes opened to an aspect of this country that undermines the SNP's attempts to portray it as somehow 'better' than England.

I have known and worked alongside a number of very decent fans of Celtic and The Rangers, but the bigger the club the bigger the proportion of idiots and I suspect next month's final may not be a pleasant place for young children in and around the stadium.

You've got to keep youngsters away from our very own assholes as well, remember.

Think it depends how you are going through.

If you are on a supporters bus you will be parked at the Hibs end of the ground so should be able to get in and out relatively easily. I woudn't be taking young children and getting the train or driving through.

Lets be honest , both sets of fans dont exactly like each other and its a 3pm kickoff on a Saturday so plenty time for a pre match bevvy. I woudn't be surprised if there are pockets of trouble before and after the game.

I don't think it will be a very nice atmosphere, but I think everyone should be safe enough if your sensible its shocking that people have to make decisions like this though everyone should be able to just turn up without worrying about what is around you and what could happen

I for one would not take young children to any old firm game - in particular one against The Rangers. Nothing but intimidation, threatening behaviour, likely to spill over into violence at any second. Their vile songs and neanderthal behaviour are a disgrace. They engender fear in adults, never mind young children.
    Keep the children Safe!

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    I don't think it will be a very nice atmosphere, but I think everyone should be safe enough if your sensible its shocking that people have to make decisions like this though everyone should be able to just turn up without worrying about what is around you and what could happen
    I think it could be a bit tense.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    I personally wouldnt be taking my laddie to the game, i hate that club and everything they stand for but each to their own i suppose

Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post

No I wouldn't!!

My 3 kids 7 & 9 are ST holders and will all be attending the final, their choice. They are already fully aware how vile the majority of the Orcs are, and despise The Rangers as much as the rest of us.

If anything I think it makes them even more proud to be hibby's!

Bring it on, can't wait.

First Team Breakthrough Seekyit's Avatar
    I was thinking about this yesterday. I've watched Hibs at Hampden 10 times in the last 10 years and always driven through and parked in the same spot then walked to the ground. There's always been a few of us including children, colours visible, no problems.

Might take a different approach this time.

My mate's Dad always used to get tickets to cup finals when we were kids so I've been to a few not involving Hibs.

There is always a different atmosphere when Rangers are involved, and it's not just us that brings it out in them. I was in the family section (mixed fans although predominantly Rangers) at the 3-3 League Cup final between Rangers and Aberdeen and I reckon it would have been just before my 10th birthday. TBH I thought much of what went on was hilarious although we were quite close to scrapping with some fairly unpleasant young Rangers fans. It was funny looking back when we had to ask my mate's Dad (who is a lawyer) what all this f*** the pope and the IRA stuff was all about. I don't think I turned out to bad after being exposed to it all - you know it's unacceptable, that it isn't the way you should behave and being subjected to it reinforces the fact that you don't like it rather than draw you in.

I suppose it depends on what you're prepared to expose your kids to and at what age - people are definitely more protective and less likely to take risks than they were 30 years or so ago. And tbh for all I thought it was quite funny and never really felt threatened, when I have kids I won't be taking them near games involving Rangers or Celtic until they're well into their teens.

Vile club with the worst set of supporters possible. Horrible to be around.

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    I won't be taking my youngest (6) or my daughter (14).
    Sorry state of affairs but there you go.
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

I was looking forward to a day out with my 8 year old son (we are both ST holders) at the final, but he's already decided that he doesn't want to go because it's The Rangers we are playing. His argument is that I wouldn't take him to a Hibs v The Rangers game at ER, so why Hampden? I explained about segregation, and supporters buses parking at the right end of the stadium. I also told him that he could be witnessing history in the making and he could be one of only 22,000 living people on this planet who have seen Hibs win the Scottish Cup in the flesh, but he's made up his mind. His choice and I know he'll be fine with that!

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Quote Originally Posted by sleeping giant View Post
    I won't be taking my youngest (6) or my daughter (14).
    Sorry state of affairs but there you go.
    Surprised your 14 yr old accepted that.

Mine has already got his day planned...
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    The problem with that lot comes when both sets of fans 'mingle'.

If you are driving, park at Kings Park ave area and you shouldn't have too many issues on way to the game - IMO its not as difficult to avoid them at Hampden as it is at Ibrox.

Post game on the 21st - whatever the result - one set of fans will be long gone before the other heads out.

I really don't like them, but at least you can spot them a mile away - spotting Celtic fans can be more tricky !

Quote Originally Posted by Gatecrasher View Post
    I think it could be a bit tense.
    Tense, I reckon it could get a bit nasty, especially if we win.

Unless your on a supporters bus that is going straight to Hampden then I wouldn't even think about taking kids to the game.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    I wouldn't take Chuck Norris to the game.

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    No way could I keep my 11yr old away, and that's WITH the trouble he experienced with Rangers fans earlier in the season. I'm comfortable that I won't encounter any of their fans except for inside the stadium.

I will still be taking my 11yo girl...but she knows it will be disgusting even in our end.

It's always the minority who spoil it for the rest.. as a previous poster said the 3:00 KO will give plenty of time for people to get sozzled. At the match on sat some Muppet beside me in f3 row bbb was having to be restrained by his drunken mates for the whole first half because he took offense to someone criticizing his language, the guy he was berating had a 5/6 year old child beside him who was obviously scared.. Thankfully he calmed sown the the second half.
    Last edited by pacoluna; 18-04-2016 at 12:49 PM.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    Tense, I reckon it could get a bit nasty, especially if we win.

Unless your on a supporters bus that is going straight to Hampden then I wouldn't even think about taking kids to the game.
    In 79 most of the trouble involved the supporters busses. Weren't many that day that returned home with their glazing intact.

Take them, don't live your life differently in fear of them.

When they start singing their bigoted *****, we should drown it out with one of our songs about football.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    I will still be taking my 11yo girl...but she knows it will be disgusting even in our end.
    Yep, forgot to say that in earlier post.

I took my (then) 9YO to the Falkirk game, was in the "family" section and the behaviour and state (drunk and drugged) of some of our fans was beyond belief.

So, while the Huns are and can be horrible, its possible the worst bit of the day might be inside the ground !!!

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    I'll be taking my 5 year old son. There's no way I'd let the fact that a lot of their supporters are animals get in the way of our chance to see Hibs win the cup side by side. Plus the way we'll be travelling through means i doubt we'll come into contact with any of them.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibeeg

Would you take (young) children to a cup final v The Rangers?

I'm taking mine but to be honest not looking forward to it. After them witnessing our own fans fighting each other due to getting so drunk they can't control themselves it's always been a worry taking them back there and can only be worse considering our opponents but I do not believe my kids should miss out because of this or we let these idiots win.

Hoping that kids are allowed in all stands like the last time as if there's a cheaper family section that would be a disaster like the Hearts game was.

I don't know any of their songs as its never interested me so I don't get worked up about what they sing since I don't understand them anyway and the kids are the same.
    Last edited by hibee; 18-04-2016 at 01:04 PM.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    We'll be heading in early for lunch and turning up to the stadium early. Will try and avoid the Huns at all costs.

Doubt I'll be wearing any club colours other than my "cup final" t-shirt, which'll be safely concealed under my jumper until we get to the stadium. Sad state of affairs but when that club's behavour is condoned via the inaction of the governing body, police and stewards then we can do **** all about it.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    There's no right or wrong answer to this, as a parent it's a decision only you can make.

Should be a 18 rated match, mair chance of getting a ticket that way! :-)

My 6 year old boy will not be coming with to this one, only because his mum won't allow it.

He doesn't know yet, all he's spoke about since leaving hampden on Saturday is the final. I'll buy him his ticket tho and try and convince his mother to change her mind.