hibs.net Messageboard

Snooker World Championship

Started today and the "Crucible curse" strikes again after Ali Carter has just beaten defending champion Stuart Bingham 10-9.

No first time champion has ever successfully defended their title the following year, since the World Championships moved to the Crucible in 1977.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I see Steve Davis has announced his retirement today, about time to be honest. Some player in his time and had a big hand in Hendry's development in the mid 80s with numerous exhibition matches being played when Hendry started out, probably regretted it a few years later.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I see Steve Davis has announced his retirement today, about time to be honest. Some player in his time and had a big hand in Hendry's development in the mid 80s with numerous exhibition matches being played when Hendry started out, probably regretted it a few years later.
    Fantastic player in his day,good guy away from the table too despite his boring tag. Was present at one club opening where he was after dinner speaker, one line he said about the Asian owner of the club brought the house down,it was the 80's though ;-)

Alan McManus currently rolling back the years against John Higgins.

Higgins lead 11-9 but McManus has won three frames in a row and now just needs one more frame to get to the semi finals for the first time since 1993.

Ding Junhui became the first Asian player to reach the World Championship final today after he beat Alan McManus 17-11.

Marco Fu could make it two in a row as he is currently playing Mark Selby in the other semi final. It is tied at 13-13 just now.

Left by mutual consent!
    Brilliant. Marco Fu caught on camera cheating. At the end of the frame both Parrott and Hendry accuse him of cheating.

If you are caught cheating in cycling - 2 year ban. Athletics - 2 year ban. The BBC presenters to a man have since failed to comment on the incident. Why?

Cheating is cheating, regardless if it's pumping EPO into your body or throwing a match. Fu should be banned, IMHO...and don't say he didn't know he moved the red as anyone who has played the game knows when they commit a foul with their hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergey View Post
    Brilliant. Marco Fu caught on camera cheating. At the end of the frame both Parrott and Hendry accuse him of cheating.

If you are caught cheating in cycling - 2 year ban. Athletics - 2 year ban. The BBC presenters to a man have since failed to comment on the incident. Why?

Cheating is cheating, regardless if it's pumping EPO into your body or throwing a match. Fu should be banned, IMHO...and don't say he didn't know he moved the red as anyone who has played the game knows when they commit a foul with their hand.
    I'm watching with the sound down but thought I saw the red move. He must have known he touched that.

As an aside I see over 500M was the Chinese audience for the Ding v McManus match.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I'm watching with the sound down but thought I saw the red move. He must have known he touched that.

As an aside I see over 500M was the Chinese audience for the Ding v McManus match.
    I've played snooker for over 40 years and a player knows full well when he commits a foul. We could argue to the cows come home if the referee has the final call, but if a player isn't being honest at a game like snooker then it's screwed (no pun intended).

Interestingly, the BBC have swept the incident under the carpet and haven't mentioned it since Parrott and Hendry were spewing. The don't have too much live sport to offer and the cynic in me thinks that the call went out so to not upset Herr Hearn as he's their meal ticket.

Cheating is cheating and pregnant is pregnant. There's no in between.

As an aside, I saw Ding fail to declare a foul several years ago at The Masters so maybe it's a Chinese trait. They clearly don't have the integrity of us upstanding, do no wrong Brits.

Edit: What a bad advert for sportsmanship, snooker and fair-play if 500M watched Fu cheat and not declare the foul. That's why he should be banned.
    Last edited by Sergey; 30-04-2016 at 09:31 PM.

Mark Selby beats Marco Fu 17-15.

Excellent match.

Mark Selby v Ding Junhui in the final.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trig View Post
    Mark Selby beats Marco Fu 17-15.

Excellent match.

Mark Selby v Ding Junhui in the final.
    Good to see the cheat is out.

Bit of a procession now. Ding doesn't look like winning a frame, could be a short night.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Bit of a comeback looking possible at the moment.

16-12 and Ding is ahead in the current frame as well.

Still looks like a Selby victory though.

Bit of a comeback looking possible at the moment.

16-12 and Ding is ahead in the current frame as well.

Still looks like a Selby victory though.
    Yep famous last words by me. Rattles off 2 frames in a row just after I said he didn't look like winning one.

Selby needs to settle down a bit imo, looking a wee bit edgy.

Comeback looks on.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Comeback looks on.
    It's not just the fact that Ding's coming back that will worry Selby, it's the fact that he's scoring so heavily.

That's 15 century breaks now for the tournament.

One behind Stephen Hendry's record.

It's not just the fact that Ding's coming back that will worry Selby, it's the fact that he's scoring so heavily.

That's 15 century breaks now for the tournament.

One behind Stephen Hendry's record.
    Horrible miss by Selby there let's Ding in. Stephen Hendry called it a nervous hit and think he's right.

This has happened a few times in the match with Ding clawing back into it, interesting to see if he can take the extra step this time.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent!
    The way the colours are positioned this frame, the match could well go past my bedtime.

Left by mutual consent!
    All the makings of a re-rack

Watching Selby makes me want to get out the 'Peter Ebdons Longest Frames' DVD.

I hadn't realised just how tough he is to watch until the last couple of weeks.

Could be a double celebration in the space of about 15 minutes for the city of Leicester.

Selby "The Jester from Leicester" needs one more frame to win the title.
    Last edited by Sir David Gray; 02-05-2016 at 09:03 PM.

@hibs.net private member _hucks_'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergey View Post

Thats specific to doping - a more apt comparison would be Nibali's antics holding onto the team car at the Vuelta last year. Thrown out of the race, quite right too, but no sign of a 2 year ban for that.