2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bernz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nope, not in Scotland I'm afraid

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36042805
    Due to the context of the game.

2012 anyone?

Was at a dinner a couple of years ago and met one of the top premiership refs (cant remember the name - an age thing!) who said that they have to declare which team they support. Once declared they were not allowed to ref matches of that team. He said the only time that could be relaxed was if there was a testimonial match.

Seems harsh but I suppose it reduces the chances of being accused of bias.

Quote Originally Posted by Milkinho View Post
    Due to the context of the game.

2012 anyone?
    The ref shouldn't have been dropped in 2012 for the team he supports, it should have been for the team he obviously didn't like.

@hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar
    Charleston the referee shouldn't be anywhere near Falkirk or Hibs games. He doesn't even hide his bias.

Quote Originally Posted by 0762 View Post
    Was at a dinner a couple of years ago and met one of the top premiership refs (cant remember the name - an age thing!) who said that they have to declare which team they support. Once declared they were not allowed to ref matches of that team. He said the only time that could be relaxed was if there was a testimonial match.

I don't think it is harsh. It takes pressure and scrutiny away from an individual who more often than not will be doing their best to do a good job irrespective of who they support.

Scottish football is so ridiculously parochial that clubs (or fans of clubs anyway) would rule just about everyone out of being able to referee a fixture. Who would we rule out right now - anyone to do with Raith, Falkirk, Rangers and Hearts?

Remember when Dundee United kicked off a couple of years back because of the strong Hibs presence on the tribunal that decided whether or not Jason Scotland got a work permit? There's no real rivalry there, certainly not enough to corrupt the integrity of guys like Peter Cormack , Tony Higgins and Pat Stsnton.

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 0762 View Post

Don't believe this. Could you imagine any bigot brother supporting ref declaring this and ruling himself out of big games involving them?

Edit: Unless you are talking EPL..?

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    Don't believe this. Could you imagine any bigot brother supporting ref declaring this and ruling himself out of big games involving them?

Edit: Unless you are talking EPL..?
    It's definitely not the case - a current ref who supports St Mirren has ref'd a Hibs v Saints game which Hibs won - his brother was also in the Saints end waiting after the game to pick him up.

Good ref too, very fair - ref'd one of our Derby wins too at ER.

I know I'd find it very difficult to be impartial. I'd red card the Hearts kit man for being ugly if I was a ref !

There's no way we could apply the same kind of thing in Scotland due to the (sadly) large dominance of the bigot brothers amongst fans of Scottish teams.
    Can you imagine if the refs did have to declare their team from the start of next season? I bet the likes of Partick, St Mirren, Killie etc suddenly had these guys claiming to have supported them all their days!

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmc View Post
    There's no way we could apply the same kind of thing in Scotland due to the (sadly) large dominance of the bigot brothers amongst fans of Scottish teams.
    Can you imagine if the refs did have to declare their team from the start of next season? I bet the likes of Partick, St Mirren, Killie etc suddenly had these guys claiming to have supported them all their days!
    I'm going to be controversial Brian and say we should pilot female refs - I recently had the misfortune of having to attend the Hearts St Johnstone game, illuminated by 3 Saints goals 😊

Female assistant was running the line and she was excellent. Also the crowd were confused as to how they berate.....a lot of the age old abuse had to be canned or muted. Watching the Women's Euros and the refs are actually very good, very fair and keep up with play - I think it would also go a long way in promoting women's football at all levels.

Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    I'm going to be controversial Brian and say we should pilot female refs - I recently had the misfortune of having to attend the Hearts St Johnstone game, illuminated by 3 Saints goals 😊

Female assistant was running the line and she was excellent. Also the crowd were confused as to how they berate.....a lot of the age old abuse had to be canned or muted. Watching the Women's Euros and the refs are actually very good, very fair and keep up with play - I think it would also go a long way in promoting women's football at all levels.
    Whilst I wouldn't be against that on principal I'm not sure that(for instance ) a rampant jambo female should be considered any more/less likely to be biased based purely on her sex.

Yeah - don't think the "who does a ref support" rule applies or is real for that matter.

I know one of the top Grade 1 refs well and know which team he supported as a boy. Wouldn't say he's a die hard fan by any stretch of the imagination but when you're growing up, you're not thinking about it are you. The possibility of becoming a top flight ref that is.

It's neither of the Edinburgh teams and not either of the Old Firm but is a Premiership team. He's definitely reffed some of their games. Might even have been one against us a few years back.

And the known Jambo linesman that didn't give Sparkies derby goal....
    Only in Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    I'm going to be controversial Brian and say we should pilot female refs - I recently had the misfortune of having to attend the Hearts St Johnstone game, illuminated by 3 Saints goals 

We did have a female assistant (probably same one ?) run the line at ER a couple of seasons ago. She stood out quite literally for standing up to Willie Collum (it was either Dundee Utd or Falkirk) by telling him that a goal was offside for them. Collum had given it. Ball was on centre spot for kick off but she just stood her ground on East stand side and made Collum run back to find out why. Fair play to her.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig_in_Prague View Post
    And the known Jambo linesman that didn't give Sparkies derby goal....
    Only in Scotland
    Same one iirc that called Jordon Foster offside at Tynie a couple of years back when one of the Jambos was down injured in the box and clearly playing him onside.

Same thing happens to us at St Mirren las week and it goes against us.

Conspiracy? What conspiracy?