hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Left by mutual consent!

Your favourite Hibs goalkeeper?

Just to deflect a little from the ongoing arguments about the merits of Mark Oxley, how about a more positive goalkeeping thread?

Without question the BEST Hibs goalkeeper I've ever seen was Andy Goram. I'd actually argue he was one of the world's best ever keepers.

Was he my FAVOURITE though? Yes, he probably was. However, as a kid the first Hibs goalkeepers I was really aware of were Jim McArthur and Mike McDonald and I just kind of assumed they were good. Hard to recall if they were though. I only have the haziest memories of Jim Herriot, but I think he was popular with the fans and he certainly played in a terrific Hibs team. What I recall most about these guys is that they mostly played without gloves which must have been a tricky business.

John Burridge was a great character for sure and his enthusiasm rubbed off on the team that went on to win the Skol Cup after the club came so close to disappearing.

My older relatives were big fans of Tommy Younger.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just to deflect a little from the ongoing arguments about the merits of Mark Oxley, how about a more positive goalkeeping thread?

Without question the BEST Hibs goalkeeper I've ever seen was Andy Goram. I'd actually argue he was one of the world's best ever keepers.

Was he my FAVOURITE though? Yes, he probably was. However, as a kid the first Hibs goalkeepers I was really aware of were Jim McArthur and Mike McDonald and I just kind of assumed they were good. Hard to recall if they were though. I only have the haziest memories of Jim Herriot, but I think he was popular with the fans and he certainly played in a terrific Hibs team. What I recall most about these guys is that they mostly played without gloves which must have been a tricky business.

John Burridge was a great character for sure and his enthusiasm rubbed off on the team that went on to win the Skol Cup after the club came so close to disappearing.

My older relatives were big fans of Tommy Younger.
    I think Goram was likely the best...I liked "Supermac" he wasn't the very best, but was capable of some outstanding saves..As a young kid, Jim Herriot was like a star to me...the mud under the eye etc...top class!

Leighton.

Some of the performances he put in and some of the saves he made were incredible.

I thought he was finished and had zero expectation of him when he signed but he knuckled down, grafted away and became a very important player for us.

It was a huge achievement for him to get back in the Scotland squad and even get a game ahead of Goram (who was an immense keeper himself) at one point.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Jim Leighton from my time watching Hibs.

Left by mutual consent!
    Nick Colgan or Daniel Anderson.

Jim Leighton for me.

Goram was outstanding, and Budgie was a character......

Roughie had his moments too......

I have one of Makalamby's gloves, that man had shovels for hands.......

Fav for me is a toughie though.....
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

Jim Leighton for me.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Goram for me. We were lucky to have a player of that calibre. Jim Leighton was top class too.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member Biggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    I think Goram was likely the best...I liked "Supermac" he wasn't the very best, but was capable of some outstanding saves..As a young kid, Jim Herriot was like a star to me...the mud under the eye etc...top class!
    My thought exactly mate.....Jim Herriot, then goram
    "I don't have any regrets about not moving during my playing career. I was born a Hibee, my dad was a Hibee, I will stay a Hibee and I'll die a Hibee." -Lawrie Reilly

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    Leighton was great for us. Struggled latterly with his kicking.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Roughie for me.

Roughie without a doubt.

Goram, hands down. Get it?!

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    I did see Hibs with Goram in goals, but I was too young to really remember it. After Hibs, and at his peak, Goram was unreal though. World class keeper on his day.

It has to be Leighton for my favourite out of the keepers I have real memories of in a Hibs strip.

Quote Originally Posted by stantonhibby View Post
    Leighton was great for us. Struggled latterly with his kicking.
    In his defence he played much of his career before the pass back rule came into force so his kicking wasn't as big an issue until that change. His goal kicks were consistently horrible though.

I know it was a part of his game he worked exceptionally hard on it but his physical issues meant it was always a struggle.

I actually listened to Andy Goram talk about Jim Leighton once, they got on really well despite the Scotland rivalry. He said Jim was a perfectionist and analysed every goal he lost to try and see where he could have done better. Goram said he always felt this wasn't totally healthy as he personally used to be much more able to brush off a mistake or bad game whilst Jim obsessed over it for weeks. He said that he actually eased off a bit on this when he came to Hibs and that probably helped him regain his form.

Goram was the best budgie was my favourite

Jim Leighton

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Alan Rough, followed by Jim Leighton and John Burridge, used to like big Mike MacDonald.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
    Roughie without a doubt.
    Yip class act.

Andy Goram, guy was just different class!

First Team Breakthrough hibbycha's Avatar
    has 2 be roughie , goram a close 2nd , then Leighton

@hibs.net private member R'Albin's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Razza96
    Says something about the quality of 'keeper that we've had in my lifetime that I'd probably have a choice between Williams, Stack and The Monk as they're the only decent keepers we've had. Probably Stack out of that lot.

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    In his defence he played much of his career before the pass back rule came into force so his kicking wasn't as big an issue until that change. His goal kicks were consistently horrible though.

I know it was a part of his game he worked exceptionally hard on it but his physical issues meant it was always a struggle.

I actually listened to Andy Goram talk about Jim Leighton once, they got on really well despite the Scotland rivalry. He said Jim was a perfectionist and analysed every goal he lost to try and see where he could have done better. Goram said he always felt this wasn't totally healthy as he personally used to be much more able to brush off a mistake or bad game whilst Jim obsessed over it for weeks. He said that he actually eased off a bit on this when he came to Hibs and that probably helped him regain his form.
    True enough, I recall one horrible kick from a passback straight to Colin Cameron who put it in to the empty net. However as I said on the whole Leighton was brilliant for us. I remember a penalty shootout at Pittodrie where he saved the pen to put us through only for the ref to order a re-take. Was listening on the radio so had no idea what was going on. Still went through though.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Goram for me, Leighton not far behind. Roughie saved us from a few hammerings as well.

These 3 are some way ahead of the rest as far as I'm concerned although Allan, Heriott, McArthur, McDonald & Budgie were all decent keepers. I liked Daniel Andersson as well.

Jim Leighton, though he never learned to cope with introduction of the pass back rule, Goram was undoubtedly a great keeper, but not much to like about the bigoted hun.

Quote Originally Posted by stantonhibby View Post
    True enough, I recall one horrible kick from a passback straight to Colin Cameron who put it in to the empty net. However as I said on the whole Leighton was brilliant for us. I remember a penalty shootout at Pittodrie where he saved the pen to put us through only for the ref to order a re-take. Was listening on the radio so had no idea what was going on. Still went through though.
    This one ...........

This is how it feels

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Goram was definitely the best, although he was never the greatest at crosses. Shame, what he turned into whilst at the Hun.

Leighton was very good too, disappointing that he went back to Aberdeen when he did. Great character to return tomthe form he eventually found, after the Man U debacle and a not so great stint at Dundee.

Roughie shone in a grim era for Hibs. He was the difference in a few seasons when relegation was calling. Rough also took pelters at times, he too wasn't the most commanding in the box but I suppose he made up for that by otherwise being generally outstanding .

Those guys stand out for me as the three best, by a long way.

Memories of 70's keepers are less clear, Mike McDonald was well liked and he single handedly started at riot when blootered yon Celtic prick (Latchford?) in the baws. Never to be forgotten.

Remember Jim Mc Arthur and Herriot, but more McArthur. He stuck around at Hibs for a long time, even displaced by guys like Mc Donald and Roddy McKenzie.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    This one ...........

Mental decision. He's barely half a yard off his line when he makes the save. You see keepers just about on the 6 yard line now go unpunished.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by R'Albin View Post
    Says something about the quality of 'keeper that we've had in my lifetime that I'd probably have a choice between Williams, Stack and The Monk as they're the only decent keepers we've had. Probably Stack out of that lot.
    It's scary to think that there is now probably a generation of Hibs fans who have come to accept that we always have generally guff goalkeepers.

When I was growing up you almost took it for granted that Hibs would have a quality keeper - there can't have been many clubs during that period who would have had better than Rough/Goram/Burridge/Leighton.