hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Why is Oxley Still In Goal?

It's a genuine question.

I've just seen the goals we conceded yesterday. The first one most keepers would have come off their line when the ball was up in the air and collected it, the 2nd, while well hit, was saveable.

We now have genuine competition for an area of the team that is suspect but Stubbs seems to be cutting off his nose to spite his face with his reluctance to replace the goalkeeper.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Probably because Stubbs believes he is the best keeper at the club?

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Every goal Hibs concede has someone on here blaiming Oxley, and telling us another keeper would have saved it. I wish we had this other keeper, we'd no have conceded a goal this season, prob be top of the league and would have won the cup. Stubbs has real questions to answer about why we keep going with Oxley ahead of another keeper who's obviously brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Every goal Hibs concede has someone on here blaiming Oxley, and telling us another keeper would have saved it. I wish we had this other keeper, we'd no have conceded a goal this season, prob be top of the league and would have won the cup. Stubbs has real questions to answer about why we keep going with Oxley ahead of another keeper who's obviously brilliant.
    But you have to admit our shots to goals against is horrendous. Normally seems the opposition score with their only shot.
    Whereas the goalie against us always seems to play a blinder.

Testimonial Due Stokesy's on fire's Avatar
    Who is Mark Oxley? I thought we had Scape Goat in goals yesterday?

Quote Originally Posted by hibbytam View Post
    But you have to admit our shots to goals against is horrendous. Normally seems the opposition score with their only shot.

I don't know if it's a mistaken perception but the opposition in games I've watched do seem to convert a much higher proportion of their chances than we do.

For instance, we had so many chances in the second half of the LC Final then County just seemed to run up the other end and score with relative ease.

Whether that is down to the keeper or the defence (or even the profligacy of our strikers), I'll leave that for others that attend much more regularly than I do, but I'd like to see if the statistics back up that assertion.

Marl Oxley is an average goalie in an average team sadly we can do alot better and probably alot worse.
    Cant remember the last time he saved us points. Ben Williams for me.

The problem with Oxley now is that there can be absolutely no serious debate about him.

There are those who will criticise him for everything, that's passing no comment on yesterday as I haven't seen the goals yet. They will see what they want to see and lay the blame of almost every goal we lose at his door, Raiths equaliser last week is a good example as there is no way he was to blame. The flip side of course is those who react by labelling all criticism of him as being 'scapegoating' or the work of 'morons' and will put up ridiculus defences even when he has made an error.

It's just another topic on here in which any real debate has been totally stifled because people take entrenched positions and simply refuse to budge.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

If we'd payed a bit more we would have got the real Mark Oxley instead of the hologram version.Might have been better with Joe Butterfingers? I'm just kidding around.He doesn't seem to stop much though does he? Or be commanding at crosses? Part from that he's an ok goalie.

@hibs.net private member greenginger's Avatar
    Has the new goalie been keeping active since his last club, or is he starting from couch-potato mode ?

Quote Originally Posted by hibbytam View Post
    Reasonable to ask questions about Oxley. We're not talking about a single event or blunder but a definite pattern that's emerged. Also, cannot remember the last time he saved our skins in a game or made a telling contribution.

'S' Form
    As we have such a poor keeper, it seems strange that rangers have conceded one goals less than us and Falkirk have conceded the same number of goals. Though not an Oxley fan, it does not appear that he is the problem.

Our main problem all season has been the inability to covert chances by our forwards and mid field. Basically we do not put teams away, even although we usually have most possesion. This is generally due to slow build.

Goals win games not possession as the lesser teams have shown in recent games.

Left by mutual consent!
    Genuinely no idea what anyone sees in him. He must get emptied in the summer and the blue square awaits him. Tony Caigs love child.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Has anyone seen the ICT keepers attempt at both goals yesterday?

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Has anyone seen the ICT keepers attempt at both goals yesterday?
    http://www.footballtube.com/videos/i...ghts--2-4-2016

Stickiest-on pen I've seen in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by FamousSix View Post
    As we have such a poor keeper, it seems strange that rangers have conceded one goals less than us and Falkirk have conceded the same number of goals. Though not an Oxley fan, it does not appear that he is the problem.

Our main problem all season has been the inability to covert chances by our forwards and mid field. Basically we do not put teams away, even although we usually have most possesion. This is generally due to slow build.

Goals win games not possession as the lesser teams have shown in recent games.
    I agree that our lack of goals is a major issue, which can only increase the pressure on the defence. I just feel it's odd that we seem to lose/draw to the only shot(s) that they have on target. I mean they can't all be unstoppable top drawer strikes.

Surely we should be giving the keeper for the semi final a run of games? Tuesday night should defiantly see Oxley dropped.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by itslegaltender View Post
    Surely we should be giving the keeper for the semi final a run of games? Tuesday night should defiantly see Oxley dropped.
    You would hope so. But I can't see it.

Quote Originally Posted by itslegaltender View Post
    I think it's a fair question.

Oxley isn't the level of GK that anyone would consider undroppable so why not give the other guy a chance and see what he can do.

If it turns out the other guy isn't as good as Ox, then it at least answers one question.

Positive comment - I have not seen a better keeper with the ball at his feet. His kicking is excellent

Crosses - he scares the life out of me.

Shot stopping - always seems to almost get there but never quite makes it. Had a few good saves in games like the Morton match (despite the score), but has made some awful mistakes (like Falkirk at home). Would like to see his shots v saves stats and compare with other keepers

For the record - he seems a top bloke and I really want him to do well and win us a few points for us or better still, play a blinder in the final if we get there. He must have something as Stubbs and Combe stick with him. I really hope he has a great end to the season and proves all the doubters wrong (including me).

@hibs.net private member GordonHFC's Avatar
    We all have our opinions and I respect everyone's opinion. Mine is that he is murder. I fear everytime the opposition get within 25 yards of our goal, not a good shot stopper and never leaves his line at corners. This is not a recently formed opinion as it was there long before we signed him on a permanent deal.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by GordonHFC View Post
    We all have our opinions and I respect everyone's opinion. Mine is that he is murder. I fear everytime the opposition get within 25 yards of our goal, not a good shot stopper and never leaves his line at corners. This is not a recently formed opinion as it was there long before we signed him on a permanent deal.
    I wonder how the defence feel about playing in front him also?

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    The problem with Oxley now is that there can be absolutely no serious debate about him.

There are those who will criticise him for everything, that's passing no comment on yesterday as I haven't seen the goals yet. They will see what they want to see and lay the blame of almost every goal we lose at his door, Raiths equaliser last week is a good example as there is no way he was to blame. The flip side of course is those who react by labelling all criticism of him as being 'scapegoating' or the work of 'morons' and will put up ridiculus defences even when he has made an error.

It's just another topic on here in which any real debate has been totally stifled because people take entrenched positions and simply refuse to budge.

The ones who obviously deem it politically correct to defend him are becoming embarrassing. The fact that some of them class fans who don't rate him as 'morons' is even worse. Not much debate there! They claim he keeps us in games but can't name them, that he is 'steady', that we have 'had worse', that other defenders are to blame etc etc etc

He doesn't deal with crosses, he doesn't make saves, his positional sense is awful, he lacks bravery, his handling is poor, he flaps- these are not things I've decided to make up because I don't like the guy. The evidence is there that we lose a lot of goals and he rarely makes out of the ordinary interventions. If people are happy with him and confident that we'll achieve what we want to with him then fine.

@hibs.net private member
    What he should do more of is shout at his defenders when we let a goal in. It makes folk that don't really know what they're talking about think it was the defences fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    What he should do more of is shout at his defenders when we let a goal in. It makes folk that don't really know what they're talking about think it was the defences fault.
    Nobody knows anything about football apart from Oxley's defenders.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrekko View Post
    The ones who obviously deem it politically correct to defend him are becoming embarrassing. The fact that some of them class fans who don't rate him as 'morons' is even worse. Not much debate there! They claim he keeps us in games but can't name them, that he is 'steady', that we have 'had worse', that other defenders are to blame etc etc etc

He doesn't deal with crosses, he doesn't make saves, his positional sense is awful, he lacks bravery, his handling is poor, he flaps- these are not things I've decided to make up because I don't like the guy. The evidence is there that we lose a lot of goals and he rarely makes out of the ordinary interventions. If people are happy with him and confident that we'll achieve what we want to with him then fine.
    Spot on 👍

Left by mutual consent!
    He should learn by his mistakes and make sure they don't happen again never mind regularly.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrekko View Post
    Nobody knows anything about football apart from Oxley's defenders.
    As they proved in the cup final.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by SJM View Post
    He should learn by his mistakes and make sure they don't happen again never mind regularly.
    as should everyone in the team.

As they proved in the cup final.
    I'm talking about his 'supporters'.