hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Fraser Foster

Coaching Staff

Fraser Foster

Read today that he spent 2 weeks on trial at ER and was rejected being told by a Hibs coach he would not make the grade. Anyone know who that coach might have been?

2. Log in to remove the advert

probably Gordon Marshall .. the guy couldn't spot a keeper to save himself

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Read today that he spent 2 weeks on trial at ER and was rejected being told by a Hibs coach he would not make the grade. Anyone know who that coach might have been?
    If you read the article again, it does state inside..

Quality goalie

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by DexterStJock View Post
    If you read the article again, it does state inside..
    Missed it I'm afraid.

He didn't make the cut at Newcastle either, it happens all over the world with thousands of players.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    He didn't make the cut at Newcastle either, it happens all over the world with thousands of players.
    Exactly, when he first went to Celtic, when he was on loan I think, I thought he was very suspect. Riordan lobbing him from 25 yards running towards the touchline should never happen to someone 6 foot 6 or whatever he is. He did improve massively when signed permanently, however still has those occasional mad moments like the Southampton game a couple of weeks ago, on the back of 5 or 6 clean sheets, totally sold one.

What is it with Hibs and goalies, jeezo we have had a few disasters have we not ? No problem really with outfield players, some duffers there as well but Goalies !!
    Can really only think of , Daniel Andersson and Ben Williams being any good in recent times. Then way back to Gorham, Leighton, and the lovable nutter Budgie Burridge.
    Allez les Vertes Originales, onwards and upwards. !!

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drumatic44 View Post
    What is it with Hibs and goalies, jeezo we have had a few disasters have we not ? No problem really with outfield players, some duffers there as well but Goalies !!
    Can really only think of , Daniel Andersson and Ben Williams being any good in recent times. Then way back to Gorham, Leighton, and the lovable nutter Budgie Burridge.
    Back in the day (pre-Bosman) we had pretty solid keepers. Scapegoating and vitriol was reserved for folks like Tortolano, Hamilton, Farrell - outfield players.

We have an extended period with top/world class keepers in Rough/Leighton/Goram - others couldn't and wouldn't come close. Although to be fair I seem to remember Jimbo taking some flak.

We then get the jitters losing high profile daft goals in the omni-present football saturated era with pre/post/halftime analysis and replays or present and yesteryear. Media latch on, supporters and rivals buy in and then every mistake is a crisis.

Like captains however, Hibs need to invest in keepers and captains to ensure we have quality foundations at the heart of our team.

What's odder still tho is our annual failure to bring through young keepers through the ranks. I mean why do we and the kids bother?
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Left by mutual consent! Stuarty27's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    Missed it I'm afraid.
    Same here, who was it?

I've mentioned this before but we haven't produced a regular first team keeper from the youths for nearly 50 years. Unbelievable statistic

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    Exactly, when he first went to Celtic, when he was on loan I think, I thought he was very suspect. Riordan lobbing him from 25 yards running towards the touchline should never happen to someone 6 foot 6 or whatever he is. He did improve massively when signed permanently, however still has those occasional mad moments like the Southampton game a couple of weeks ago, on the back of 5 or 6 clean sheets, totally sold one.
    Good points hibbysam, he definitely used to be dodgy, I'm sure I saw him beaten at his near post a couple of times in the early Celtic days, but now I think he's an excellent keeper. I haven't read the article that was mentioned, but it would be interesting to see who did release him. Great keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by drumatic44 View Post
    You're having a laugh right??

Coaching Staff
    Mixu could have over ruled a scout surely?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hart RIP View Post
    I've mentioned this before but we haven't produced a regular first team keeper from the youths for nearly 50 years. Unbelievable statistic
    The only one I can think of who came through at Hibs in that time and even had a decent career elsewhere is Stevie Woods.

I can't think of too many teams who regularly bring through youth goalkeepers tbh.

Left by mutual consent!
    Before he went to Celtic he was excellent at Norwich. And got 'Keeper of the year in the Championship. They then replaced him with Ruddy.

In his first season he broke the record at keeping clean sheets at Celtic (not to be confused with the later Bobby Clark record) before signed for £2m. Hardly *****.

Quote Originally Posted by SJM View Post
    Before he went to Celtic he was excellent at Norwich. And got 'Keeper of the year in the Championship. They then replaced him with Ruddy.

In his first season he broke the record at keeping clean sheets at Celtic (not to be confused with the later Bobby Clark record) before signed for £2m. Hardly *****.
    No one said he was "*****" however you carry on.

He is now a very good goalkeeper, however, it doesn't change my opinion that he was suspect when he first went to Celtic, in particular in the game I mentioned when Derek lobbed him from 25 yards out at an angle.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Mixu could have over ruled a scout surely?
    It was after he came in. Mixu said go for him and the scout said nut, hud him here. He's pish.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Anyone know off the top, which goalie(s) Mixu did bring in after taking the advice of his scout then 'fuming'?

He is now a very good goalkeeper, however, it doesn't change my opinion that he was suspect when he first went to Celtic, in particular in the game I mentioned when Derek lobbed him from 25 yards out at an angle.
    I have Celtc mates that described him as Dracula in his early days there. I.e. petrified of crosses

Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    I have Celtc mates that described him as Dracula in his early days there. I.e. petrified of crosses
    Which is exactly how I remember him. Very suspect but a great shot stopper, see clean sheet remarks, which is still his huge strength due to the sheer size of him. He has retained his great shot stopping and improved upon his all round game.

Left by mutual consent!

Fair enough I don't remember him being like that as he made a fantastic start to his Celtic career following on from a great loan at Norwich. All about opinions though 👍

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by DexterStJock View Post
    It was after he came in. Mixu said go for him and the scout said nut, hud him here. He's pish.
    That's what I mean, if Mixu thought better then surely he could have acted upon it?

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    Anyone know off the top, which goalie(s) Mixu did bring in after taking the advice of his scout then 'fuming'?
    The mad monk on loan? He was alright but I'm not even going to attempt to spell his name.

Think you should be giving Riordan some credit for that wonder goal rather than blame Foster.

Quote Originally Posted by BS44 View Post
    Think you should be giving Riordan some credit for that wonder goal rather than blame Foster.
    Why? Riordan's effort was audacious and very well executed, however for a Goalkeeper Forsters size, to get beaten from there by getting lobbed shouldn't happen I'm afraid.

Left by mutual consent!
    Why? Riordan's effort was audacious and very well executed, however for a Goalkeeper Forsters size, to get beaten from there by getting lobbed shouldn't happen I'm afraid.

Tell me sitting there, sure it was around April you didn't think the keeper should be getting there instead of Riordan doing what he does best? Did Fletcher score for us that game too? Sure they won 3-2. Still wasn't as good as his goal at Hamilton though.

That's also like saying Seaman was suspect because of his two lobs. He was an outstanding goalie, only one British better than Goram in my life.