hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar

The rising cost of football over the years - Liverpool

On you tube last night I was watching some footage taken of old stadia. One example Anfield 1972, as the crowd leaves the game :

https://youtu.be/0MWMNlQzlFA

Check out the price of standing on The Kop back then: 40 pence! According to the Bank of England inflation calculator, that would be £4.76 at today's prices. Scouse Hibee or anyone else, what's the cost of a ticket on The Kop this season? £4.76 might get you a burger, but it won't get you a ticket. Just one example of how the cost of going to football has increased multiple times the rate of inflation. So many fans have been priced out of the game in Britain, which is a real shame.

Can anyone remember the admission price for their first game at Easter Road? I was paid in by my dad and have no idea.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    On you tube last night I was watching some footage taken of old stadia. One example Anfield 1972, as the crowd leaves the game :

Check out the price of standing on The Kop back then: 40 pence! According to the Bank of England inflation calculator, that would be £4.76 at today's prices. Scouse Hibee or anyone else, what's the cost of a ticket on The Kop this season? £4.76 might get you a burger, but it won't get you a ticket. Just one example of how the cost of going to football has increased multiple times the rate of inflation. So many fans have been priced out of the game in Britain, which is a real shame.

Can anyone remember the admission price for their first game at Easter Road? I was paid in by my dad and have no idea.
    A Kop season ticket is around £700, Stretford End at old trafford is similar. Not too bad I guess really for the standard on show. When its close to or over a grand thats when its a pisstake.

@hibs.net private member
    We paid either £44 or £48 to be in the corner section of the Kop last year against West Ham.

A pal of mine is in the Lower Centenary for the Spurs game in a few weeks and that was £53.

It aint cheap

Quote Originally Posted by kennyh View Post
    We paid either £44 or £48 to be in the corner section of the Kop last year against West Ham.

A pal of mine is in the Lower Centenary for the Spurs game in a few weeks and that was £53.

It aint cheap
    Aye, so admission on The Kop has increased at roughly TEN TIMES the rate of inflation since 1972 . The working man and woman paying through the nose so footballers can be paid £100,000 per week or more.
    Last edited by Hibernia&Alba; 22-03-2016 at 03:57 PM.

If I remember rightly(!)my uncle took me to the upper West in 1965/6 to see Hibs v Falkirk.
    Neil Martin was good.
    Was it about 6 shillings?
    Subsequently at the boys gate if you couldn't get a lift over it was 2 bob or so.

Someone please correct me.I cannot be the oldest Hibby in town without total brain fade.

It ain't cheap BUT if I had to pay (I don't 😝) I suppose I'd have to put it in to perspective - if hibs v rangers is £28... Liverpool v Spurs is value at £50.

Left by mutual consent!
    The clubs don't even reply on tickets sold any longer but there's a product there people are willing to pay so why would they lower it? If the product up here was similar it would be similar prices.

Quote Originally Posted by SJM View Post
    The clubs don't even reply on tickets sold any longer but there's a product there people are willing to pay so why would they lower it? If the product up here was similar it would be similar prices.
    £22 to watch Hibs in the second tier, when the stadium is half empty. Times are hard for a lot of families and many find themselves priced out of attending. Something needs to be done address this, as the EPL might be looking at £100 per game average within a couple of decades, and what happens then?

Quote Originally Posted by SJM View Post

Bayern Munich chairman on their season ticket prices...

In the soundbite, from last year, he says: 'We could charge more than £104. Let's say we charged £300. We'd get £2m more in income but what's £2m to us?
    'In a transfer discussion you argue about that sum for five minutes. But the difference between £104 and £300 is huge for the fan.
    'We do not think the fans are like cows, who you milk. Football has got to be for everybody.
    'That's the biggest difference between us and England.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...#ixzz43eWDatI4
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I remember being shocked that the Skol cup final in 91 was £7! £7 for a game of football! Think ER was £3 or thereabouts at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    I remember being shocked that the Skol cup final in 91 was £7! £7 for a game of football! Think ER was £3 or thereabouts at the time.
    I started going regularly a year or 2 after that.

I seem to remember it being £4 for kids and £7 for adults to get onto the East Terracing.

If I'm being honest, it would not matter to me how good the quality on show was at games in England as I wouldn't be able to afford it anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First Team Regular Billy McKirdy's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: N?A Wii Code: N?A
    40p for a kid to get into the east terracing when I started going in 1977, that's when I couldn't get a lift over the wall of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Marinehibby View Post
    40p for a kid to get into the east terracing when I started going in 1977, that's when I couldn't get a lift over the wall of course.
    £2.24 in 2016 prices

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post

I seem to remember it being £4 for kids and £7 for adults to get onto the East Terracing.
    It ramped up really quickly around that time. They were basically chucking on a £1 or 2 every year.

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post

Yep, Bang on

First Team Regular

In the late 50s it cost me the same to get into Easter Road as it was for the Central,Regal and Hayweights cinemas in Musselburgh. The average cost of a cinema ticket in Kilmarnock is now £8 Football nowadays is a rip off.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar

The Kop is £39-£48 depending on the category of the game, Cat A games are £48, Cat C are £39

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    The Kop is £39-£48 depending on the category of the game, Cat A games are £48, Cat C are £39
    Almost fifty quid a go. You have to wonder how many of the folk living in those wee terraced houses around Anfield can afford that! The EPL is global, but the lifeblood of a club is its surrounding community.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Almost fifty quid a go. You have to wonder how many of the folk living in those wee terraced houses around Anfield can afford that! The EPL is global, but the lifeblood of a club is its surrounding community.
    Folk always seem to find the money to go, many of those terraced houses have been demolished over the years as the stadium has expanded, many others are derelict in an area that is severely run down. One look at the amount of coaches parked that have brought in the "home" support tells you just how many come from afar. Many of my friends when we compare prices of ST etc think we are cheap rather than them being expensive, they just see the price of football as being part of their normal outgoings.

Aye, so admission on The Kop has increased at roughly TEN TIMES the rate of inflation since 1972 . The working man and woman paying through the nose so footballers can be paid £100,000 per week or more.
    To get a proper comparison you'd have to take into account the real terms increase in average incomes over the same period so while the price inflation is as you say the cost relative to incomes will not have increased to quite the same extent.

Having said that - it's still a significant increase and it is changing football - for the worse IMHO.

@hibs.net private member GreenLake's Avatar
    Football tickets are cheap compared to basketball, throwball or rounders.

Bus in from West Lothian. Hibs boys gate. Programme. Bus back home. £1 all in. Good old early seventies. And one hell of team to save your dinner money up to watch.

@hibs.net private member eastterrace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hughio View Post
    If I remember rightly(!)my uncle took me to the upper West in 1965/6 to see Hibs v Falkirk. Neil Martin was good. Was it about 6 shillings? Subsequently at the boys gate if you couldn't get a lift over it was 2 bob or so. Someone please correct me.I cannot be the oldest Hibby in town without total brain fade.
    my dad took me to see hearts v rangers back in 1964 season and it was 1 shilling for me aged 10 to get in , I remember this cause all other games except the bigger ones charged 6d ( a tanner ) to get in. Don't know what cost my dad tho

Coaching Staff
    To us, Hibs fans, the ticket prices in the EPL seem outrageous, however the grounds are routinely sold out, and as long as that continues there will be no pressure on the clubs to freeze or reduce prices, the one concession being the away support pricing rule. The situation in Scotland totally different, the product even at the top level is mediocre hence half empty grounds and fans slowly drifting away from the Scottish game.

First Team Breakthrough bournehibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eastterrace View Post
    my dad took me to see hearts v rangers back in 1964 season and it was 1 shilling for me aged 10 to get in , I remember this cause all other games except the bigger ones charged 6d ( a tanner ) to get in. Don't know what cost my dad tho
    Pretty sure when I first started going to ER, (62/63) it was 1/6d each way on the bus, 3d for the matchday programme, and 1/6 to get into the east - 3d change out of five bob

bh

Quote Originally Posted by bournehibby View Post
    Pretty sure when I first started going to ER, (62/63) it was 1/6d each way on the bus, 3d for the matchday programme, and 1/6 to get into the east - 3d change out of five bob

bh
    So match admission was the same price as your bus fare! How times have changed!

I first started going regularly in 79-80. It cost £1.10 for adults and 55p for kids.

That is the equivalent of about £5.50 for adults now.

£22 to watch Hibs in the second tier, when the stadium is half empty. Times are hard for a lot of families and many find themselves priced out of attending. Something needs to be done address this, as the EPL might be looking at £100 per game average within a couple of decades, and what happens then?

Reckon I could all but guarantee it'll be 100 quid tickets well inside a couple of decades...
    And itll keep keep going up. The nature of capitalism and "free" markets..

Without protectionism, there is absolutely no doubt the average person will get stiffed

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    50p to get into Hibs v San Jose Earthquakes.
    1981. The Program was 25p.
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn