hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar

Hampden seating arrangements - East and West stands

I've noticed Dundee United have been allocated tickets initially starting in the West - why are Hibs always given the East Stand at Hampden? In the last ten years, the only time I remember us not getting it was when we played Celtic in the 2013 final.

Do we specifically request it, or is this subtle inclination from the SFA that we "should" get Celtic's traditional end of the ground?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by RagingReality View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've noticed Dundee United have been allocated tickets initially starting in the West - why are Hibs always given the East Stand at Hampden? In the last ten years, the only time I remember us not getting it was when we played Celtic in the 2013 final.

Do we specifically request it, or is this subtle inclination from the SFA that we "should" get Celtic's traditional end of the ground?
    We're treated as wee Celtic unless we play them. It stops the police in Glasgow from getting too confused.

Beware of expensive imitations!

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar

We got the West when we played the Arabs in the 2005 semi. The East is nearest Edinburgh and we're a bigger club than them so it's fine by me.
    Last edited by Hiber-nation; 22-03-2016 at 12:48 PM.

why would anyone care which end we get?

First Team Breakthrough
    Like it or not we're perceived by the Establishment/ SFA/ Police Glasgow/Scotland as ra Sellick's wee cousin. Sectarian thinking isn't just limited to the underclasses.
    Only in Scotland

@hibs.net private member hibee_nation's Avatar
    West end better for pubs but early kick off knocks that into touch anyway
    45 AND RISING

is it gonna be a 50/50 split yea?

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckySeven7 View Post
    is it gonna be a 50/50 split yea?
    I suspect ticket demand will decide that. We won't fill more than half the ground for this one.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Where we not in the West last semi v Dundee United???
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

I suspect ticket demand will decide that. We won't fill more than half the ground for this one.
    Both teams combined will struggle to sell 26,000 I reckon.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    Where we not in the West last semi v Dundee United???
    We were, but I think the construction of M74 around Glasgow makes it better for Hibs fans to come in that way. The united fans will come down the M80 and into the M8.

All these decisions based on location go out the window when the two Glasgow clubs are involved. Why are hearts and hibs always in the west when celtic are the opposition?

It's not really a big deal, it's just evidence of the special relationship between the footballing authorities and two specific clubs. Are there any other countries in the world where teams have their "own end" at a neutral venue?

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by peter douglas View Post
    All these decisions based on location go out the window when the two Glasgow clubs are involved. Why are hearts and hibs always in the west when celtic are the opposition?

It's not really a big deal, it's just evidence of the special relationship between the footballing authorities and two specific clubs. Are there any other countries in the world where teams have their "own end" at a neutral venue?
    Agree totally absolute nonsense. The reason they have special ends is because miraculously they avoided each other for about 50 years or so in semi finals the chances of which are akin to me winning the Euro millions or Hibs winning the Scottish cup.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by monarch View Post
    Like it or not we're perceived by the Establishment/ SFA/ Police Glasgow/Scotland as ra Sellick's wee cousin. Sectarian thinking isn't just limited to the underclasses.
    Only in Scotland
    Which is inaccurate in our case, though Hearts are mini Huns, so their presumption is accurate there
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Does it really matter v DUFC? I think there will be no segration on the walk to the ground and would expect no trouble at all. In fact the most likely cause of bother at Hampden is from Hibs fans on other Hibs fans. Coming in from the west is best for me and I expect that is the way I'll be going.

There's oddly a good (or at least interesting) reason for the historic "ends" at Hampden.

Seemingly back in the day when it was being upgraded, the SFA asked the OF if they wanted to contribute to the costs as they were there the most I guess.

RFC ponied up whereas the CFC biscuit tin was shut. So Rangers fans always got the covered end whilst Celtic didn't.

Could be an urban myth, and a tad irrelevant these days but still.

Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    There's oddly a good (or at least interesting) reason for the historic "ends" at Hampden.

Seemingly back in the day when it was being upgraded, the SFA asked the OF if they wanted to contribute to the costs as they were there the most I guess.

RFC ponied up whereas the CFC biscuit tin was shut. So Rangers fans always got the covered end whilst Celtic didn't.

Could be an urban myth, and a tad irrelevant these days but still.
    Interesting. I always thought that the ends were given due to Ibrox being to the west and Celtic park to the east of hampden. When they were upgrading they wanted it to look like Wembley so they made it level at the top and concreted the steps in preparation. The roof on the terrace was to be done in stages so the rangers end was done first because celtic are fenian *******s and they can just wait in the rain for their upgrade.

Probably another myth but from the opposite end of the spectrum.

I think the game will do well to hit over 20k fans personally crap performances recently, on tv, early kick off and its at hampden

Quote Originally Posted by Nicho87 View Post
    I think the game will do well to hit over 20k fans personally crap performances recently, on tv, early kick off and its at hampden
    Ach nae worries, the best semi final Hibs support I was ever part of was the 7000 the night we beat the Huns on pens at Hampden. The good thing is semi final turn outs are one thing the Yams can never use as a stick to beat us with, they canny even shift 14,000 for semis at Easter Road, never mind Hampden.

When Hibs play Hearts, we get the East Stand and they get the West, because in the minds of the SFA, we're the equivalent of Celtc and Rangurs.

We are almost always allocated the East Stand, as Celtc's wee cousins from the East, unless Celtc are playing, in which case they get it instead.

There have only been two exceptions to that I'm aware of: one when we played Dundee Utd (Dundee Hibs?) and the other against Livi (run at the time by an ex Celtc Chairman and funded by a Celtc supporting lottery holder).

Paranoid? Moi?

Left by mutual consent!
    I really hate hampden with a passion. Just a horrible stadium. Can't get parked near the ground in a car now. Lack of decent ameneties nearby. I hate hampden and where it is situated. I attend to watch the hi bees but just hate the stadium and place. Wish a new one would be built near maybe harthill or livingston maybe.

Surely this is as close to a pointless moan thread as there is?

Im sure some will find it interesting, or something to point to as evidence of sectarianism/favoritism/GFA/Weegie-love or some other ism..

Doesnt matter a damn.
    Itll still be nigh on impossible getting away after the game!

(Yes, irony intended)

Quote Originally Posted by Kavinho View Post
    Surely this is as close to a pointless moan thread as there is?

Im sure some will find it interesting, or something to point to as evidence of sectarianism/favoritism/GFA/Weegie-love or some other ism..

Doesnt matter a damn.
    Itll still be nigh on impossible getting away after the game!

(Yes, irony intended)

Ah come on, it's a bit of light relief among the misery

Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    Ah come on, it's a bit of light relief among the misery

Yeah Im not well known for my jokes hitting the mark!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kavinho View Post
    Yeah Im not well known for my jokes hitting the mark!!

Ah, that was a joke, I seeeeeeee...........

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by doddsy View Post
    I really hate hampden with a passion. Just a horrible stadium. Can't get parked near the ground in a car now. Lack of decent ameneties nearby. I hate hampden and where it is situated. I attend to watch the hi bees but just hate the stadium and place. Wish a new one would be built near maybe harthill or livingston maybe.
    Jeez, if you think Hampden is depressing, just think of getting humped in Harthill............

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Jeez, if you think Hampden is depressing, just think of getting humped in Harthill............

Actually, put like that, it doesn't sound too bad.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    Actually, put like that, it doesn't sound too bad.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    You seen the prices of they sarnies or drinks at Harthill, been humped there manies a time before.

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    Ach nae worries, the best semi final Hibs support I was ever part of was the 7000 the night we beat the Huns on pens at Hampden. The good thing is semi final turn outs are one thing the Yams can never use as a stick to beat us with, they canny even shift 14,000 for semis at Easter Road, never mind Hampden.
    2nd half of the 4-3 Falkirk game was great as well, all the doughnuts left at half time.