hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member

Playoff - realistic outcome

I've been uber positive re our chances of coming through the playoffs, until tonight.

For me, I'm now struggling to see how we will, firstly, beat Raith over two legs. If we do, we then need to beat Falkirk over two legs. What puts it in perspective is that we then have to beat a Premiership club, most likely Killie who are hardly firing on any cylinders yet seem tough to beat - they rarely lose by more than one and looked pretty improved today vs Celtic.

I feel we will beat Dundee Utd so we need to throw a cup final in for consideration.

This season is imploding and I'm afraid to say I want promotion over a cup win. I can't face another season in this league.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Why should anything change ? are we just kidding teams on that we will turn up in the play offs ? An utter disgrace which has been disguised by our cup runs.

We need to finish second to stand any chance in the play off. Team is already knackered so playing 6 play off games in three weeks would be a nightmare. I'm seriously starting to worry about a third season in this league. Doesn't bare thinking about.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by greenpaper55 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why should anything change ? are we just kidding teams on that we will turn up in the play offs ? An utter disgrace which has been disguised by our cup runs.
    For me the realisation has set in, it is highly likely this is all going to end tits up big time. The alarm bells are ringing loudly tonight in this house.

You are not alone in thinking that we will struggle in the playoffs.
    Our struggles to score more than 1 goal a game has been evident for some time.
    Those early season 1-0 victories were achieved on the back of a mean defence. A defence which is now powder puff against mediocre sides.
    The cup runs have been welcomed but not at the cost of promotion.
    Our league form has become an embarrassment. 4 recent defeats against mediocre championship sides suggests something has gone fundamentally wrong.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommyrob View Post
    I've been uber positive re our chances of coming through the playoffs, until tonight.

For me, I'm now struggling to see how we will, firstly, beat Raith over two legs. If we do, we then need to beat Falkirk over two legs. What puts it in perspective is that we then have to beat a Premiership club, most likely Killie who are hardly firing on any cylinders yet seem tough to beat - they rarely lose by more than one and looked pretty improved today vs Celtic.

I feel we will beat Dundee Utd so we need to throw a cup final in for consideration.

This season is imploding and I'm afraid to say I want promotion over a cup win. I can't face another season in this league.
    entirely. I couldn't give a toss about the Scottish Cup. We are a seriously mediocre Championship side, based on the last four or five results, and our chances of promotion are well below 50-50.

It makes no difference if we finish 2nd, 3rd or 4th. Two extra games isn't major, what is worrying is all the teams we could meet, Morton, QOS, Raith have all recently beaten us and know how to beat us.

A new game plan needs to be introduced.

I still think we'll finish second. Jase puts that away, our tails go up and we probably go on to score a winner.

Still games to be played so it's not over. Even if we do finish third we still have a good chance.

Tin hat on for being positive I suppose.

This is slowly turning into a blueprint season from us, do well till Feb/March then completely nose dive afterwards. Absolutely murder! I thought this team had turned it around

Quote Originally Posted by hibhibhurray View Post
    Those early season 1-0 victories were achieved on the back of a mean defence. A defence which is now powder puff against mediocre sides.
    Our league form has become an embarrassment. 4 recent defeats against mediocre championship sides suggests something has gone fundamentally wrong.
    This, in spades!

The realistic outcome is we're staying down.

We are being hit by too many games, injury, suspensions etc. That is not an excuse as our squad should have been deep enough to cope. It is pretty critical we get second as it would be a very big ask to win against Raith then Falkirk then Kilmarnock (or quite possibly a resurgent Dundee Utd who may yet scrape through.)

Assuming our confidence is not shot and we are fairly injury free you would have to give us a 66% chance of beating Raith over two legs. Unless we are playing an on form Dundeed Utd, Falkirk is the tough one - 50 -50 call really then if Killie I would probably fancy our chances. If you do the math it is probably about 1-4 or 1-3 from here.

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibhibhurray View Post
    The fact the the most goals we have scored in this pathetic league is 3 says it all.
    QOS scored 6 today Morton 4 and they are two of the poorer teams in the league.

We only need to win 3 games to get through the play offs, worse case, as long as we score 1 more than our opponents.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by peter douglas View Post
    I still think we'll finish second. Jase puts that away, our tails go up and we probably go on to score a winner.

Still games to be played so it's not over. Even if we do finish third we still have a good chance.

Fasten that hat, Peter. The bedwetters are justifiably taking over.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    Fasten that hat, Peter. The bedwetters are justifiably taking over.
    Bedwetters...realists...either way I'm off.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CallumHibs07 View Post
    The realistic outcome is we're staying down.
    Spot on, and if we stay down, we'll be down for years. It's a case of ever-decreasing circles.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Recent league form is woeful, but it could pick up just as quickly as it fell away. Anything can happen in the play offs. All Stubbs and the squad can do is work hard and give it everything, then let's see where we are at the end of the season. It's all hypothetical just now, and I'm confident form will pick up before the play offs.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    Spot on, and if we stay down, we'll be down for years. It's a case of ever-decreasing circles.
    Unlikely- next season could also be tough depending on who else is down but we should have the resources to get back- our support base remains several times bigger than any other club in the division, bar Rangers.

This season is not over yet either- its not looking good now, but frankly we should have the players to do the business if the mental attitude is right, and we can keep the heid.

Who knows?

I still hope we can get out act together but the only real excuse for our results and performances I keep reading is that we are tired.

If we accept that as the case then it's only going to get worse as opposed to better. With that in mind I think we are in trouble.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by peter douglas View Post

Im with you in as much as we could have turned that game around quite easily.

If we finish third however, I wouldn't go so far as to say we have a -good- chance. Id say around 4 to 1. Ill be there though. If we can regain our composure and get the bit between the teeth, 2nd is still on, and so are the play-offs.

I still think Hibs will finish 2nd and win the play offs.

Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    I hope you are right because I don't think we have a hope in hell of finishing 2nd right now.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    No chance mate.

@hibs.net private member allmodcons's Avatar
    On current form, we have absolutely no chance of making it through the play offs.

I wouldn't fancy us against Morton, Raith or Falkirk over 2 legs, let alone Kilmarnock or Dundee Utd.

We have become an embarrassment in a league full of mediocre teams.

I'm not usually one for knee jerk reactions, but IMO Stubbs struggles tactically and, for me, has to get the bullet if he fails to get us out of this league.

He has more resources than any club in the Championship apart from Sevco and, so far, is failing miserably.

Absolutely fuming with the performance tonight. Team loses its shape far too easily and too many players think they're better than they are.

Just look at the winner for Ross County last week. With minutes to go in a cup final the priority is to keep your shape but we were all over the place and, ultimately, paid for it.

For what it's worth, I sincerely hope we turn the corner before the play offs but, realistically, think we're doomed to another year in this god awful league.

Falkirk come from 2-0 down to beat Rangers 3-2 meanwhile we lose after being one up to Raith Rovers? Raith ****ing Rovers? We're a shambles, I can't believe there's another chance of us playing in the championship again.

I dunno how anyone can predict how we will get on or where we finish tbh. We can beat inverness then stumble against inverness? Forget thinking we can beat dundee utd we need to sort out the league. Id like to know how the strikers are training as too much sitters and chances arent being taken!

Quote Originally Posted by SJM View Post
    No chance mate.
    Physically impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Islington Hibs View Post
    We are being hit by too many games, injury, suspensions etc. That is not an excuse as our squad should have been deep enough to cope. It is pretty critical we get second as it would be a very big ask to win against Raith then Falkirk then Kilmarnock (or quite possibly a resurgent Dundee Utd who may yet scrape through.)

Assuming our confidence is not shot and we are fairly injury free you would have to give us a 66% chance of beating Raith over two legs. Unless we are playing an on form Dundeed Utd, Falkirk is the tough one - 50 -50 call really then if Killie I would probably fancy our chances. If you do the math it is probably about 1-4 or 1-3 from here.
    Im coming to similar odds for promotion - but Id give Killie more chance to beat us than you give. Anyway, I am well prepared for a third season down here.. I wouldn't want to see Stubbs formations/tactics for another season if that was the case.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Physically impossible.
    Tonight's the night the resignation happens that we will be down here next year.

About ten years ago I remember is going to Starks park on a Tuesday in the league cup and Brewster scored a couple, we played ***** on the night but class showed and we where better. Tonight we met our match at this level. It's completely gutting how far we have fallen and the most disappointing part is it's not unexpected.