hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Craig Levein will be spitting feathers....

......if he has read the interview with John Brown in todays Scotsman.

An extract:

Hearts were hit by a virus, forcing Craig Levein to call off completely, but Brown was unimpressed by that excuse. “I’d have said to Craig that day: ‘You’ve never won a medal in your life and you only need a draw to become champions – if you’re ****tin’ your pants, big deal.’ I mean, Sandy Jardine played and how old was he at the time, 37? But I always remember something big Dave McPherson said to me about Craig: that he never thought anything was his fault.”

I suddenly like Brown more than I used to :-)

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skol View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ......if he has read the interview with John Brown in todays Scotsman.

An extract:

Hearts were hit by a virus, forcing Craig Levein to call off completely, but Brown was unimpressed by that excuse. “I’d have said to Craig that day: ‘You’ve never won a medal in your life and you only need a draw to become champions – if you’re ****tin’ your pants, big deal.’ I mean, Sandy Jardine played and how old was he at the time, 37? But I always remember something big Dave McPherson said to me about Craig: that he never thought anything was his fault.”

I suddenly like Brown more than I used to :-)
    Well done Bomber.

@hibs.net private member
    Craig Levein will be spitting feathers ... I suppose that's what can happen when you get too up close and personal wi' a Budgie

He shat it.

Bottle merchant big time!

Get it roond you Potter you yam roaster fud

No medals Levein.

Would rather shut up shop than go for it.

Let there be no doubt, it was his tactics to sit back at 2-0 in Scottish cup game at Tynecastle and it was his tactics to focus on trying to contain Hibs in first half of replay.

How did that work out for you Craigy? Position of power without any responsibility (Robbie is fall guy).

A coward and a loser.

All that money that he raked in for his testimonial at a packed the rafters Tynecastle would have gone some way to ease the pain.

Big team my erse.

Left by mutual consent!
    I didn't realise Brown played for Dundee that glorious day in 86.
    Christ he is even into The Stranglers and Stiff Little Fingers. For the first time ever I'm starting to like a rabid hun

Quote Originally Posted by giro playboy View Post
    Christ he is even into The Stranglers and Stiff Little Fingers. For the first time ever I'm starting to like a rabid hun
    👍🏻 me too 😂

Left by mutual consent!
    Aye and me ! We were playing Dundee Utd at ER and losing when the old North Enclosure went mental. Kano came running over "whats happened ?" I shouted "Dundee are 1 up." When the 2nd goal went in a few minutes later it was bedlam.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by southsider View Post
    Aye and me ! We were playing Dundee Utd at ER and losing when the old North Enclosure went mental. Kano came running over "whats happened ?" I shouted "Dundee are 1 up." When the 2nd goal went in a few minutes later it was bedlam.

it was....or as bedlam as about 4000 people could be...tiny crowd at ER that day...doom and gloom until towards end of the match - if I recall correctly United had just scored when news of a goal came through - quizzical looks when the Hibs fans were leaping about...

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Col2 View Post
    No medals Levein.

Let there be no doubt, it was his tactics to sit back at 2-0 in Scottish cup game at Tynecastle and it was his tactics to focus on trying to contain Hibs in first half of replay.

How did that work out for you Craigy? Position of power without any responsibility (Robbie is fall guy).

A coward and a loser.
    No Robbie says you beat Hibs by switching play.

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Col2 View Post
    No medals Levein.

A coward and a loser.
    The 4-6-0 in Prague against a poor Czech side was the pinnacle of his managerial career

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Ingram View Post
    The 4-6-0 in Prague against a poor Czech side was the pinnacle of his managerial career
    ...and Scotland's nadir.

Being called a crap bag in the national press....

This my fellow Hibbies is comedy gold, couldn't happen to a nicer, or more defensive man...

GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Ingram View Post
    Cowardly football at its best

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    it was....or as bedlam as about 4000 people could be...tiny crowd at ER that day...doom and gloom until towards end of the match - if I recall correctly United had just scored when news of a goal came through - quizzical looks when the Hibs fans were leaping about...
    The only time I've ever walked away still happy after watching Hibs lose at ER

Coaching Staff The Green Goblin's Avatar
    Scotland "manager".... McPherson was right. He never thought that total embarrassment he presided over was his fault. Total self delusion

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by southsider View Post
    In these days folk used to take transistor radios to the game. I mind a boy beside me shouting Kidds scored and the dejection of everyone standing around him... Then the cry went up ''wait the now its no Walter its some boy called Albert''.......hence total mayhem

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Green Goblin View Post
    Scotland "manager".... McPherson was right. He never thought that total embarrassment he presided over was his fault. Total self delusion
    Yep, but there was no hiding from who was responsible for the "style" of play adopted by Scotland in that era, follows potter around like a bad smell but he's careful now to be just far enough away from actual responsibility.

I remember going to Belgium in 2012 to see them beat us and our football was eye watering - the Levein out singing was great though.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    Jambottle merchant big time!

Get it roond you Potter you yam roaster fud
    Fixed that for you.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

He's still at it. This whole DoF / Stig as head coach thing is just so that he doesn't takes the fall for any pish results.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    And Graeme Hogg spits teeth. Thoroughly obnoxious.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    His own team mates knew he bottled it and some said so at the time.

United we stand here....

where were you on Albert Kidd day

I couldn't make the game that day due to work, but arrived home to hear the result, I ran out of the house into the garden jumpin about like a loony. My neighbours, knowing I was a hibby, were wondering what was going on.😄😄

Just a few weeks after that glorious day at Dens in '86, I arrived in Ibiza with my wife, sister and future brother in law and who should we notice beside us at the pool on our first day there but John Brown and his missus.

We got talking to him straight away (good guy and once he got to know us, was full of great stories about other players, etc) and he said the Dundee team wanted to win the game but really weren't wanting Celtic to win the league - but at half time, someone came in to their changing room and said that Rangers were getting beat (which they discovered later wasn't true) which apparently gave Dundee an outside chance to qualify for Europe, or something..

Anyway, when they came out for the second half, he said you could feel the Hearts players absolutely shaking and saying to Brown and his team mates ''have you heard the score from Love Street.?" - almost pleading with them not to score.. And the rest as they say, is wonderful history...

He got up early every morning for a long run, hardly touched alcohol the whole fortnight, whilst we got p!ssed every night - and we even threw him fully clothed in the pool one night.!! Took it brilliantly as well.

He watched the England v Argentina (Mexico 86) game with us in a pub absolutely packed with mental English fans -- and he cheered alone, sober, at the telly at both Maradonna goals, punching the air and roaring loudly at the final whistle whilst we shamefully shat ourselves at the table, pretending not to know him as those scores of English fans who filled the pub all glared at him with serious assault in their eyes..!!! Unbelievably, not one of them approached him or said anything back to him - and even though he was quite slight of build at that time, I think they knew by looking at him they'd come off second best..

Much much much tougher than fanny Levein, a person I detest... Well said John, we know he's a big fake fud fraud..

@hibs.net private member Radium's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Harp View Post
    Craig Levein will be spitting feathers ... I suppose that's what can happen when you get too up close and personal wi' a Budgie

They were the Chunky Chicks champions after all...

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxyhibee View Post
    Just a few weeks after that glorious day at Dens in '86, I arrived in Ibiza with my wife, sister and future brother in law and who should we notice beside us at the pool on our first day there but John Brown and his missus.

We got talking to him straight away (good guy and once he got to know us, was full of great stories about other players, etc) and he said the Dundee team wanted to win the game but really weren't wanting Celtic to win the league - but at half time, someone came in to their changing room and said that Rangers were getting beat (which they discovered later wasn't true) which apparently gave Dundee an outside chance to qualify for Europe, or something..

Anyway, when they came out for the second half, he said you could feel the Hearts players absolutely shaking and saying to Brown and his team mates ''have you heard the score from Love Street.?" - almost pleading with them not to score.. And the rest as they say, is wonderful history...

He got up early every morning for a long run, hardly touched alcohol the whole fortnight, whilst we got p!ssed every night - and we even threw him fully clothed in the pool one night.!! Took it brilliantly as well.

He watched the England v Argentina (Mexico 86) game with us in a pub absolutely packed with mental English fans -- and he cheered alone, sober, at the telly at both Maradonna goals, punching the air and roaring loudly at the final whistle whilst we shamefully shat ourselves at the table, pretending not to know him as those scores of English fans who filled the pub all glared at him with serious assault in their eyes..!!! Unbelievably, not one of them approached him or said anything back to him - and even though he was quite slight of build at that time, I think they knew by looking at him they'd come off second best..

Much much much tougher than fanny Levein, a person I detest... Well said John, we know he's a big fake fud fraud..
    I've completely changed my opinion on the man based on this thread and this post especially

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    In these days folk used to take transistor radios to the game. I mind a boy beside me shouting Kidds scored and the dejection of everyone standing around him... Then the cry went up ''wait the now its no Walter its some boy called Albert''.......hence total mayhem
    If anyone wants to check out Sir Albert's subsequent sonic influence, check out my pals very good album "Waking up in Eden" by the Suns of Albert.

If wasn't an old fandango I'd post the link. Suffice to say that it is unique. Not many footballers have inspired such dreamy evocative music. Takes me right back to that day on the old East Terrace.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post

It really was bedlam, as hard as hard to believe as that might be. The strange sight and sound of the East Terrace chanting 'Dundee, Dundee' then 'Celtic, Celtic' must have confused the hell out of the teams, playing out a drab end of season match.

Oh and MFC-SS never turned up that day, so Hearts weren't the only bottle merchants