hibs.net Messageboard

View Poll Results: Are the cups as important as promotion?

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, both cups are as important as promotion

32 24.62%
  • Only the Cup Final is as important as promotion

10 7.69%
  • The Scottish Cup is as Important as promotion

21 16.15%
  • Promotion should be the only goal

67 51.54%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875

Promotion V Cups

There has been a bit of discussion on some threads about the importance of the cups against the need to get promoted. I thought I would set up a poll to see what the general .net consensus was.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Cups if thats the two choices. Realistically we'll get promoted and never win the league in a million years anyway.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    My personal opinion is that we go for the League cup and promotion, I don't think we should pursue the Scottish Cup much further as we will have play offs to prepare for. I appreciate others will think differently though.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes
    We should be focused and motivated to win the league cup since we are in the final, this shouldn't really interfere with promotion at all.

After the league cup final our focus should be on getting promoted, the Scottish Cup is what it is, I've resigned myself to never winning it so I'm not really fussed how we do, if we get put out then it's just another year of not winning it.

First Team Breakthrough
    I hope we win the league cup, I think 2nd is where we will end up and fear Falkirk more than any of the premier teams we could meet.
    As for the Scottish I like many am resigned to never seeing us win it in my lifetime (tin hat on)
    But I still love my team and always will
    GGTTH
    IN STUBBS WE MUST TRUST

Any two out of three and I'll be a happy chap.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    The option "Promotion should be the only goal" should be replaced by "Promotion is the number one goal for this Season" - then I'd vote for that option.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The option "Promotion should be the only goal" should be replaced by "Promotion is the number one goal for this Season" - then I'd vote for that option.

To not want all three is daft. Are some people actually wanting us to lose next sunday? This place is mad.

We need to get promoted.

Everything else is secondary.

@hibs.net private member Greenworld's Avatar
    Couldn't give a monkeys about the cups this year and I think the effort we have put into them has cost us in points and injurys

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes
    Quote Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
    To not want all three is daft. Are some people actually wanting us to lose next sunday? This place is mad.
    I don't want us to lose but I'm not going to let another Scottish cup defeat bother me that much, we get one every season so we should be used to it by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Trig View Post
    We need to get promoted.

Everything else is secondary.
    ^^^^^^^^^^

I don't understand why some people think we should not give 100% to win the cups. You remember a cup win for the rest of your life...but in 50 years time will anyone care if season 2016/17 was played in the first or second tier? Not a chance.

No matter what game it is I want hibs to win. Promotion and the league cup would be great and is very much achievable, it won't be easy but we can do it.

We're still a few games off possibly winning the trophy that has eluded us for many years, but I think we shouldn't prioritise any single competition this year. We're still in both cups so should be aiming to win them both.

Just win the games that come at us and see where it takes us.

Iv never understood when managers and players before a season starts say things like 'we're looking for top 6 or a European slot'. You should start every season looking to win everything.

I know people will think I'm mental but positivity breads confidence which brings belief. Look at Leicester city.

Getting to SC semi would virtually guarantee equivalent of 20,000 gate ( pooled gate receipts split between 4 clubs ) plus TV money . If we win semi , even more money in . So apart from prestige , very good financial reasons for giving both cups as much importance as league games .

Delighted to make the final and now want to win the cup, but going up is the main priority for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I don't understand why some people think we should not give 100% to win the cups. You remember a cup win for the rest of your life...but in 50 years time will anyone care if season 2016/17 was played in the first or second tier? Not a chance.
    I won't be around in 50 years time to care but in 3-4 years time I will care where we play next season. Yes cup wins are great but if we don't get promoted pronto we might never win another one.

Quote Originally Posted by IberianHibernian View Post
    Getting to SC semi would virtually guarantee equivalent of 20,000 gate ( pooled gate receipts split between 4 clubs ) plus TV money . If we win semi , even more money in . So apart from prestige , very good financial reasons for giving both cups as much importance as league games .
    That's short term income. We're losing more playing in the Championship.

Winning the Scottish Cup is most important to me. We need to bury the hoodoo which has become a millstone around our neck. And I know we shouldn't let Jambo taunts get to us, but it f*****g bugs me that they have this ammunition to fire at us. To win the Cup would generate triumph and joy not seen in Leith...well, ever, probably. And I think it would give us a Europa League entry??

I would therefore take that and romp away with the Championship next season...Cup winners, Europe and topping the league.

@hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    Any two out of three and I'll be a happy chap.
    This.

Although if we get promo alone id be happy.

Otherwise the two cups.
    Or all three :)

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Hmmm, the thought of another season in this league with Falkirk/Killie/Hamilton being our biggest game of the season is extremely depressing. But my greatest memory as a Hibs fan? the 2007 league cup final. How about we take one game at a time. Win on Sunday and we have another trip to Hampden. How can we not want that!

We're Hibernian FC. We have no right to turn our noses up at any cup opportunity. This league is utter pish and we should expect to be out it within 2 years. If we don't go up the club have failed. A cup (or 2) would soften the blow and we could go again next year but it would be utterly **** to be here next year.

@hibs.net private member
    Scottish Cup win
    Promotion
    League Cup win.

In that order.

Of course promotion is vital, anyone can see that! BUT the importance of cup wins should never be underestimated. Unfortunately for me I had no one to take me to the 1972 league cup final against Celtic but the pictures on tv and in the papers of the open top parade, the players with the cup, cemented my life long love of the Hibees. Who has forgotten the scenes in 2007💚? People talk about fans lost in this division, how about the future generations staying/becoming loyal supporters with a cup win. In short, we can't afford to take any competition lightly.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Some people seem to think if we win the cup we can't also be promoted. If the next 2 games don't go well we might be needing to win the cup to kick start our season again. Winning every game is the priority and playing our strongest team every week is the way to go about it.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    If I was offered 3 more wins this season, all in the Scottish Cup, I would be delighted as that would mean my old man (and everyone else) would finally see us win the bloody thing!

Only need to look at the where are you travelling to the final from thread to see the importance of the cups

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    How anyone can select "Promotion should be the only Goal" is beyond me.

Its ok to want all three!

Left by mutual consent!
    Watching Hibs since 1988 2 cup wins, fantastic day out and still in memory, for me if we only got the League cup I would still be happy.

I believe though we are more than capable of promotion and cup win. Cmon let's do it