hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left by mutual consent!

Play offs for us?

Thoughts? Is it too much of an uphill task now to catch Rangers?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yes.

Only the most happy happy clapper of all time would think we have a chance of catching Sevco. It's not going to happen. We'll be lucky to stay above Falkirk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First Team Breakthrough jarre1875's Avatar
    Yea. Even before they went 11 in front. 8 points were a big ask. Its up to the players to prove is wrong though

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

No chance we will catch Rangers. We must 100% concentrate on 2nd place.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes
    The players need to mentally prepare for the play offs, second place didn't help us last season, so it's not a total lost cause to not finish second. All that matters are the 4 or 6 games we will be getting at the end of the season, once this cup final is out the way our focus should be on winning the play offs. We have already ****ed up the title challenge all by ourselves, lets not chuck it in the play offs for a third year running.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickShoes View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The players need to mentally prepare for the play offs, second place didn't help us last season, so it's not a total lost cause to not finish second. All that matters are the 4 or 6 games we will be getting at the end of the season, once this cup final is out the way our focus should be on winning the play offs. We have already ****ed up the title challenge all by ourselves, lets not chuck it in the play offs for a third year running.
    We finish 3rd and I can almost guarantee we won't go up. At the end of a season that we are having just now another six "cup finals" would be a gigantic ask of the squad and not something I would be confident about.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    We need to secure 2nd and give the squad a proper chance to prepare for the play offs. It's been a busy season so a week or so off will do the team good. It won't be easy though.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    No chance we will catch Rangers. We must 100% concentrate on 2nd place.
    Agree totally.

@hibs.net private member Argylehibby's Avatar
    Yes play offs are a certainty now. Next problem is if a resurgent Dundee Utd get up to the play off final then they are there full of confidence. Not going to be easy to beat even if we get past Falkirk / Morton or whoever e play first.

The last 2 games have killed off any chance of catching Rangers.

with 30 points to play for, i cant see anything else, however its possible.

The main thing we have to do now is regroup and focus on the positives as a team. Shake of the stupidity of last week and secure 2nd place.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Looking at the SPL table I think the play off team will either be Kilmarnock or Hamilton although numerous other clubs at this stage are also candidates. There would be a certain poetic justice in taking Hamiltons place but if I was a betting man my Shekel would be on Kili. As for who will likely be joining our good selves and Falkirk I think Raith might just hold on with Morton taking them close, dont think QoS hve enough bot them this season

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    We are guaranteed a playoff place. 2nd would mean a couple less games but in reality is a hollow victory as last year proved it didn't help us any.

If we don't win the league I couldn't care less if we finish 2nd, 3rd or 4th it's performances in the playoffs that count.

People say it's 11 points but really with the goal difference it's 12 points - so they need to lose 4 or draw and lose several and we need to pretty much win every game.

27 points left to play for - including 3 against them.

For me we need to regroup and quickly. I was worried about the result on Wednesday and how we react Saturday. We now have a really tough game away tomorrow night then 2 massive cup games.

I would take 2nd in the league with promotion and a cup win 100%.

Though right now we need to show guts and leadership otherwise could be an almighty collapse.

It was a 100/1 shot after the Morton game, after the Dumbarton game we have no chance of winning the league, I would be surprised if the bookies are even taking bets on Sevco.

But nothing has changed for us, we are still in a battle for 2nd place and every game is vital, as is taking that 2nd spot .... if anybody doesn't think so all they need to do is remember how playing those extra 2 games affected the Huns, in their 2 games with Motherwell they looked dead on their feet after playing 4 games in 14 days and having to face a comparatively fresh team 5 days later .... by the time the 2nd leg came they had played 5 high tempo games in less than 3 weeks and it showed.

We have 5 home games left until the play offs and nobody is pretending that even if we win the League Cup we are going to get many more than the usual 8,000 suspects turning up for those games, with the possible exception of what could be a make or break Falkirk game. ...... but everybody who claims to be a Hibs fan, everybody who scrambled for Hearts tickets, St Johntone tickets or who is going to Hampden has to realise that turning up to support the team at Easter Road in the play offs is a hundred times more important and even if it means publicly admitting that the league is gone Hibs have to start a drive now to encourage folk to turn out for those games.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    Looking at the SPL table I think the play off team will either be Kilmarnock or Hamilton although numerous other clubs at this stage are also candidates. There would be a certain poetic justice in taking Hamiltons place but if I was a betting man my Shekel would be on Kili. As for who will likely be joining our good selves and Falkirk I think Raith might just hold on with Morton taking them close, dont think QoS hve enough bot them this season
    If that is the choice of teams I would hope it is Hamilton rather than Killie as think they are more beatable and actually think Lee Clark will do a half decent job at Killie..

Thistle or Hamilton please. I don't particularly fancy United or Kilmarnock but it could be anyone from Ross County down.

Finishing second is a must as I don't think we'll have the legs otherwise.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    If that is the choice of teams I would hope it is Hamilton rather than Killie as think they are more beatable and actually think Lee Clark will do a half decent job at Killie..

As someone with a strong Blackpool connection I'd rate "Wor Lee" as next to useless myself.

Left by mutual consent!
    Rangers need to collapse we need to not make any mistakes. Play offs it is

Rangers are up. Just take them out the puzzle now. We still have the playoffs and we still have a good chance.

We will go up every faith

Quote Originally Posted by eastmainsmsh View Post
    We will go up every faith
    I think we will go up too and I always thought it would be through the play offs. Play offs are like cup games and we have shown this season we are good at cup games. A final and a quarter are evidence of that.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    It is still possible - but we are relying on a big collapse from Rangers and corresponding winning run from us.

We need to regroup, focus and work harder. Absolute commitment and desire to win every game from here on in.

The league was over after Morton imo. Although, I'd expected it to pan out this way. Still feel we'll come into the play-offs in second and be too strong for anyone else who's gonna stand in our way. It's just about getting out of this league, doesn't matter if it's as champions or as play-offs, as long as we don't have to go to places like Dumbarton in the league next season.

Getting through to the Scottish Cup semi and beating Ross County in the LC final would do our chances the world of good, the confidence of having beaten four better Premier League sides than we will face in the play-offs, coupled with the potential greater support at ER in the wake of a cup win, would stand us in good stead.

Anybody who thinks there is a chance of catching Rangers, is quite possibly mentally ******ed. Rangers will have it all but sewn up by Easter in the same way Hearts did last season. They have a side better designed to get out off this League, they roll over teams in the bottom half of the table. Rangers aren't losing at Dumbarton twice, or being horsed 0-3 at home to Morton. Forget it.

I feel that we have a more talented squad, and we've shown to be able to rise to the occasion against higher league opposition more regularly than the Hun. Our best chance always was the play-offs.

Let's concentrate on the battle for second spot. For Hibs and Falkirk, two extra play-off games against Raith, then a battle with each other to decide who plays against the second bottom means making the Premier from third place is too big an ask. Second gives you a shot, but then it's still stacked against you.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    We are guaranteed a playoff place. 2nd would mean a couple less games but in reality is a hollow victory as last year proved it didn't help us any.

If we don't win the league I couldn't care less if we finish 2nd, 3rd or 4th it's performances in the playoffs that count.

This exactly

First Team Regular Canon Hannan's Avatar
    2nd Place, Cup Final and possible semi final I the other Cup is excellent work

Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    As someone with a strong Blackpool connection I'd rate "Wor Lee" as next to useless myself.
    Blackpool isnt the easiest job in the world it is fair to say. Who knows he may struggle however think he has done a few decent jobs elsewhere.

yep, if we are gonna go up we are gonna have to do it the hard way and go through the play-offs. Would be very very shocked if the hubs dropped that many points for us to win the league