hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sun article

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member linlithgowhibbie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibees 7062 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Good article only spoiled for me by a scarf saying "The fighting Irish" being held aloft. I don't think its relevant at Easter Rd.

Just a personal opinion, not wanting to start a flag/origins debate.

Boy, what I’d give to be part of a victory song like Sunshine on Leith.

The day 30,000 Hibs fans sang it in a Hampden blizzard after their team had won the 2007 League Cup will stay forever as one of the most spine-tingling moments I’ve known.

And hearing it ring out once more from around Easter Road after their midweek Scottish Cup replay win over Hearts . . . well, the feeling was one of sheer, naked envy.

Yes, to be in among your own lot after you’ve won a trophy and to bawl along to Oh When The Saints is what it’s all about, an experience none of us would trade.

Sure, to be there as Parkhead or Anfield shudder to You’ll Never Walk Alone or in the Nou Camp when Barca’s club song is roared by 90,000 throats is a genuine privilege.

To have an anthem, though, that’s written by two of your own fans about how much they love the very streets where your club lives? That’s something else. That’s proper hairs on the back of the neck stuff.

Apart from anything else, it’s a gorgeous song in its own right. The lyrics, the melody, the plaintive fiddle, the swell each time it reaches the word Sunshine; lovely, just lovely.

It’s a perfect singalong number, one where it doesn’t matter that you don’t have perfect pitch, plastic or otherwise, because you can just get swept along with the mood of it all.

Plus, the verse and chorus are both repeated, so it’s not hard to learn the words. But best of all, in an era where football chants are increasingly negative and aimed at knocking the opposition rather than supporting your own favourites, it’s uplifting, it’s life-affirming. It’s, well, it’s nice.

Your heart was broken, then you met someone who made it all better and now, as long as the sun shines, you’ll thank a higher power for making it happen. Got to be better than Somebody-Somebody’s Two- Coloured Army repeated seven zillion times in a row, hadn’t it?

For me, Sunshine On Leith is the antedote to all the cringeworthy guff that comes out of our stands every matchday, all the sectarianism and politics, all the abuse that seems to have become second nature, even to people who wouldn’t say boo to a goose the other six days of the week.

That freezing cold Sunday at Hampden nine years back, after a vibrant Hibees side led by John Collins had beaten Killie 5-1, is still crystal clear in my mind. Normally, as soon as I’ve sent over a match report on a day like that, the laptop’s in the bag and it’s indoors asap a) to thaw out and b) to do all the post-match interviews.

This time, though, I found myself transfixed by the celebrations as a band of brothers — Scott Brown, Steven Fletcher, Lewis Stevenson, Steven Whittaker and more — walked round the pitch clutching the trophy, picking up scarves and hats tossed by adoring punters, waving to friends and family, thinking life couldn’t really get much better.

Then realising that, yes, it could.

Because just then, the DJ put on Sunshine On Leith. At which point, I only wish newspaper technology allowed me to somehow embed the clip so I could listen to it as I write and you as you read.

Call me over-emotional — and my old mum always did say our family’s eyes were too near our bladders — but it was pretty overwhelming.

And as a neutral, you could only wonder at how great it must have felt to be a proper part of it all.

Last Tuesday night, a new Hibs side — though still containing the immovable object who is Stevenson — got to experience that same wave of love and of song as they went on a lap of honour after dumping their city rivals.

As they looked up into the stands, saw those thousands of scarves held aloft, heard those thousands of voices singing the praises of their club and their community, it must have been something amazing to belong to.

And I surely can’t have been alone in wondering just how astonishing a rendition it might be should they ever play Sunshine On Leith to celebrate Hibs actually winning the Sc . . .

No, I’d better not jinx it.

Let’s just say I’ll hope to still be around if it ever happens.

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Great article and worth sharing with as many Jambos as possible

'and my old mum always did say our family’s eyes were too near our bladders'

I know what she means......I'm always peeling onions when I hear it...

ggtth

@hibs.net private member hibees 7062's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CallumLaidlaw View Post
    Great article and worth sharing with as many Jambos as possible

When Hibs do win that cup, I honestly think there will be thousands on the streets of Leith and ER belting this out. It will be something that we will never see the likes again.

Imagine thousands upon thousands around the streets and inside the ground singing this as one. Wouldn't be a Hibs fan with a dry eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    When Hibs do win that cup, I honestly think there will be thousands on the streets of Leith and ER belting this out. It will be something that we will never see the likes again.

Imagine thousands upon thousands around the streets and inside the ground singing this as one. Wouldn't be a Hibs fan with a dry eye.
    Plenty dry pubs though I think it will last a while

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    If we ever win THAT bloody cup, I recon the SOL rendition will be crap.....too many folk greeting to get the words out!
    Last edited by Frazerbob; 22-02-2016 at 01:30 PM.

30,000 hibees singing it at hampden after the 2007 cup final was one of the greatest moment i've ever experienced as a hibs fan. A song that means so much to so many people and a song thats ours, not just any old song that we've claimed as our own or a song copied by other clubs, but a song that was written by our own.

Very emotional song, I still get a lump in the back of my throat watching the video of us singing it. It's truly an incrediable sight. I have a pals who support other clubs and even they've commented on how good it is when its in full swing.

Plenty dry pubs though I think it will last a while
    You better believe it 😁

Quote Originally Posted by linlithgowhibbie View Post
    Good article only spoiled for me by a scarf saying "The fighting Irish" being held aloft. I don't think its relevant at Easter Rd.

Just a personal opinion, not wanting to start a flag/origins debate.

Thankfully not everyone thinks like you. Broad church blah blah blah

You better believe it 
    My partners already been told not to expect me home for a while

Gamer IDs

My partners already been told not to expect me home for a while
    Plans have already been put in place for the 13th March "just in case". Monday has been taken off, and plans to get the missus to pick my son up back in edinburgh. Will have to wait and see what the proposed plans are for a parade. (disclaimer that I am not presuming we'll win as I think its completely 50/50, just making plans in case we do)

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    who wrote it ?

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Bill leckie I think

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar

I won't have enough loyalty points, will be streets for me

Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    I won't have enough loyalty points, will be streets for me
    😂😂

@hibs.net private member Jack Hackett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibby Gav View Post
    'and my old mum always did say our family’s eyes were too near our bladders'

I know what she means......I'm always peeling onions when I hear it...

ggtth
    I don't even have to hear it...just reading that article brings a lump

Best.

Anthem.

EVER!

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    Nearly greeting reading that
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    Like someone said above, I think the rendition of SOL after we win the SC will be pretty rubbish, there will be too many people blubbing away tae themselves. I find it even more emotional because, unfortunately I have listened to it at a few good Hibee funerals too, and it will be played at mine when the time comes. We really are lucky to have this as oor song, and I hope to get to sing it at Hampden a few more times in the coming months and years

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Quote Originally Posted by Forever Seven View Post
    30,000 hibees singing it at hampden after the 2007 cup final was one of the greatest moment i've ever experienced as a hibs fan. A song that means so much to so many people and a song thats ours, not just any old song that we've claimed as our own or a song copied by other clubs, but a song that was written by our own.

Very emotional song, I still get a lump in the back of my throat watching the video of us singing it. It's truly an incrediable sight. I have a pals who support other clubs and even they've commented on how good it is when its in full swing.
    this 100 % !

Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    who wrote it ?
    Bill Leckie

Quote Originally Posted by vince1973 View Post
    Like someone said above, I think the rendition of SOL after we win the SC will be pretty rubbish, there will be too many people blubbing away tae themselves. I find it even more emotional because, unfortunately I have listened to it at a few good Hibee funerals too, and it will be played at mine when the time comes. We really are lucky to have this as oor song, and I hope to get to sing it at Hampden a few more times in the coming months and years
    As I said before , the boys should sing it live in the stadium after we win that cup

who wrote it ?
    The Proclaimers.

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    As I said before , the boys should sing it live in the stadium after we win that cup
    Bit unfair on Craig and Charlie, I'm pretty sure they'll be as emotional as the rest of us

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

@hibs.net private member
    who wrote it ?
    Pretty sure it was The Proclaimers.

Blog Entries
    I liked the pic of the Hibs guys at Haydock with the Super John McGinn banner, nice one!

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by vince1973 View Post
    Bit unfair on Craig and Charlie, I'm pretty sure they'll be as emotional as the rest of us
    It must be a very strange/proud feeling standing amongst the Hibs crowd singing that song during one of these magic moments, knowing YOU wrote that song!

Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    The Proclaimers.