hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar

Snooker shoot-out

Anyone been watching this? 10 minutes, 1 frame takes all.

Haven't watched it all but I'm quite enjoying it, shame Gilbert lost after an excellent frame on the first day.

Second semi final about to start on ITV4

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MB Crunch View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anyone been watching this? 10 minutes, 1 frame takes all.

Haven't watched it all but I'm quite enjoying it, shame Gilbert lost after an excellent frame on the first day.

Second semi final about to start on ITV4
    Do they just play for 10 mins and then stop with whoever is ahead the winner?

I've never watched this but have watched numerous attempts at short form snooker.

For me it's a game that benefits from the longer format, nothing beats a best of 35 frames imo. I understand the need to try and appeal to those who prefer their sport fast and furious though.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Watching it just now and already the crowd are getting on my nerves with their shouting. Not my idea of snooker at all much prefer the long drawn out matches with safety battles. Have spent many an hour in snooker audiences and this is not for me.

£32k to the winner of one frame final, not bad money!

I wonder if the pockets are bigger?

Left by mutual consent!
    I made a 46 break last night (3 shy of my PB) - Unfortunately I ran out of balls

Quote Originally Posted by Sergey View Post
    I made a 46 break last night (3 shy of my PB) - Unfortunately I ran out of balls
    46 not too shabby.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    You're crap! Mine is 50 (red pink red black red black + colours). That was 30 years ago though, I can't even see the far end of the table these days.

I love snooker and pool but I'm totally hopeless, bizarre considering the time I've spent in pubs on pool tables. Best break is 30 (red, black, red, pink, red , pink , red, pink, red.)
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    46 not too shabby.
    Cheers - I would also like to point out that the break was made with a club cue pulled off the rack.

Not the straightest piece of timber I've used, but it worked a bloody treat and I won the money

I love playing snooker but have never reached the heights I would like too.Considering I spent my time as a snooker fitter for ten years and played an awful lot during that time I'm still pish. Still had some great times and met some great people during the heydays of snooker through the eighties.

Rocket Ronnie showing his class today. Some player but a total prick at times.

Quote Originally Posted by 3pm View Post
    Rocket Ronnie showing his class today. Some player but a total prick at times.
    What's he done\said?

Just found out re the 147, typical Ronnie!
    Last edited by Scouse Hibee; 15-02-2016 at 08:41 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    What's he done\said?
    I had the TV on today in my home office and watched the match live. He was playing Barry Pinches in what was a poor match. In what turned out to be the final frame, he potted the first 5 reds with blacks and asked the referee what the prize money was for a maximum. She didn't know. He then signalled to Willie Thorne in the commentary box and he signalled it was £10k. After 13 reds and blacks, he potted the 14th red and then opted to take the more difficult pink. He show-boated with the rest of the clearance and made a 146 rather that a max.

It was surreal to watch, but what a genius that lad is. It was basically sticking two fingers up at the authorities as neither the 147 nor the £10k meant much.

It was some break and worth looking for it online.

I had the TV on today in my home office and watched the match live. He was playing Barry Pinches in what was a poor match. In what turned out to be the final frame, he potted the first 5 reds with blacks and asked the referee what the prize money was for a maximum. She didn't know. He then signalled to Willie Thorne in the commentary box and he signalled it was £10k. After 13 reds and blacks, he potted the 14th red and then opted to take the more difficult pink. He show-boated with the rest of the clearance and made a 146 rather that a max.

It was surreal to watch, but what a genius that lad is. It was basically sticking two fingers up at the authorities as neither the 147 nor the £10k meant much.

It was some break and worth looking for it online.
    That's a bit disappointing, particularly if you were there watching it live.

Poor show.

Just watched it. The pink was easier than the black. That said he would have still got the black!

It is on youtube if anyone wants to see it.
    Cougars!!!

I'm sure there are plenty charities or good causes that would happily have taken £10K if it's beneath Ronnie.

@hibs.net private member
    Think he said the £10k rolls over so he'll let it get higher and give someone a chance when it's a bigger pot.

Fair play to him - I like a bit of arrogance in a sportsman.

@hibs.net private member derekHFC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trig View Post
    That's a bit disappointing, particularly if you were there watching it live.

Poor show.
    Ah but how many people have seen a 146 break in their lifetime

ps I agree its poor from him.
    Someone once told me that hard work wouldn't kill me.

I thought: "Hell, why take the chance"!

Quote Originally Posted by derekHFC View Post
    Ah but how many people have seen a 146 break in their lifetime

ps I agree its poor from him.
    Don't get me wrong he's a genius with a snooker cue and I love watching him play. He's the most natural talented player I've seen, particularly when you consider that he can play both left and right handed.

However he does have his demons within his head and when he's in the mood when he can't be bothered he's very unpredictable and he can end up doing things like this.

It's a shame really because guys like him shouldn't be looking to make a 147 for financial reward, they should be doing it to entertain people.