hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Prediction League Supremo - 05/06 MB62's Avatar

Their Main Threats during the game

Having watched a few of their highlights this season on BBC, one thing I have noticed that the Yams is favour is the high ball to the back post, particularly to Paterson who wins a lot of balls in that area. This could be a concern if he is matched up against Lewis in the air there.

They also like to have a pop from outside the box quite frequently, our midfield will need to be sharp when defending.

Two points of concern but I have a belief in our lads that ability will triumph over brawn. It might take us two games to do it, but I think we are definitely good enough to beat them, even on their own patch.

The biggest concern for me, apart from those mentioned above, is keeping 11 men on the park and not conceding a penalty, given who is in charge of the whistle. We can combat the first two points, we will have no control over the official in charge.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by MB62 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Having watched a few of their highlights this season on BBC, one thing I have noticed that the Yams is favour is the high ball to the back post, particularly to Paterson who wins a lot of balls in that area. This could be a concern if he is matched up against Lewis in the air there.

They also like to have a pop from outside the box quite frequently, our midfield will need to be sharp when defending.

Two points of concern but I have a belief in our lads that ability will triumph over brawn. It might take us two games to do it, but I think we are definitely good enough to beat them, even on their own patch.

The biggest concern for me, apart from those mentioned above, is keeping 11 men on the park and not conceding a penalty, given who is in charge of the whistle. We can combat the first two points, we will have no control over the official in charge.
    I think you're right. As soon as the draw was made I thought they'd try to play loads of high balls from left to right to try to get Paterson up against Stevenson. I thought that to try to combat that we could play three at the back, with Fontaine playing on the left. That allows Fontaine, provided he is switched on and well positioned, to challenge Paterson for a lot of these balls. It'd still leave Hanlon and McGregor in the middle so we shouldn't be too exposed when Fontaine drifts left to challenge Paterson in the air.

The thing with moving to 3 at the back is that it'd mean one of our middle 4 would need to drop out, and it'd be really hard to choose which one. I don't think any of them deserve to be dropped.

Bit of a headache for Stubbs but he has options.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    The have a number of threats ad Paterson is obviously one if he is competing with Lewis for cross balls however in saying that defensively he is IMO poor and can be got at. Djoum from the highlights looks a threat as both physical and good and will need to be watched. We definitely need McGregor in there and think we may play 3 centre backs if Fontaine fit.

Should be a cracking game and just hope we are not taking about the 12 man on Monday.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Franck View Post
    I think you're right. As soon as the draw was made I thought they'd try to play loads of high balls from left to right to try to get Paterson up against Stevenson. I thought that to try to combat that we could play three at the back, with Fontaine playing on the left. That allows Fontaine, provided he is switched on and well positioned, to challenge Paterson for a lot of these balls. It'd still leave Hanlon and McGregor in the middle so we shouldn't be too exposed when Fontaine drifts left to challenge Paterson in the air.

The thing with moving to 3 at the back is that it'd mean one of our middle 4 would need to drop out, and it'd be really hard to choose which one. I don't think any of them deserve to be dropped.

He could also play them all and just one forward.

Blog Entries

Asbestos poisoning and falling debris.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post

Asbestos poisoning and falling debris.

Sam Nicholson. Loves a pop from range, fast and tricky.

@hibs.net private member Craig_HFC's Avatar
    If it goes to a replay; is it the same ref or does the ref change?

disease

Quote Originally Posted by ALF TUPPER View Post
    disease
    Strangely enough, since returning from the dark side to civilisation on Saturday, I've been feeling crap all week.

First Team Breakthrough portyhibernian's Avatar
    I think we'll have to weather an early storm for the first 10 minutes, I can see them employing the same tactics as they did when they played Aberdeen in the last round. Come flying out the traps at 100mph and try to kill the game early. 5-4-1 the way to go for me, and I think Stokes as the man up top to hold it up and bring the midfield into attacking areas.

@hibs.net private member H18S NX's Avatar
    Getting halved in two by size 9s,10s,11s,etc.

@hibs.net private member
    Biggest threat ( and make no mistake about it) is the Ref.

GGTTH

We will be chopped at every turn.

It's their way.

Overcome this and the ref and we can do it. Won't be easy but we can win.

2-1 Hibs

Left by mutual consent!
    We have better players than them, we will be beating them. I would rather have our threats than theirs.

@hibs.net private member GreenLake's Avatar
    Thompson cutting out through balls and dropping them into the path of a yam hitting us on the break.

I have never been as confident in a Hibs team going to Swinie since the T.T's in the 70's than I am with the current lads. I won't predict they will murder them, or even win at all, but they have a great chance of doing so if they play to their potential and don't get bullied.
    I agree with Portyhibs that will try and storm out the traps and bulldoze us but if we are strong and stand up to them, they tire badly in the 2nd half of the game and we might just turn them over.

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby

Looks like Fyvie may well be out, so your 3-5-2 would work. And although it may be harsh on Dagnall, I'd start Stokes. He'll make space for Cummings.

Testimonial Due

For me adjusting our formation is the wrong approach. The players, notably Gray and whichever of the midfield diamond is rightmost, need to be aware that they'll look for that ball and deny them the space and time to put any sort of quality balls in. If they can be closed down so that any crosses which aren't prevented or blocked are rushed and cr@p, Lewis is good enough at positioning his body to overcome a height disadvantage. Oxley also has to be ready to come for any floated balls.

If Hearts are looking for that ball it also opens up our left side as a counter attacking option, as I fancy Lewis to have more pace and stamina than Paterson if it comes to charging up and down there all day. Worst thing that could (and very likely will) happen is if the ref books Lewis for his first foul of the game, while letting Paterson have a few niggly fouls.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by CallumLaidlaw View Post
    Looks like Fyvie may well be out, so your 3-5-2 would work. And although it may be harsh on Dagnall, I'd start Stokes. He'll make space for Cummings.

Question over Fontaine as well.

I have never been as confident in a Hibs team going to Swinie since the T.T's in the 70's than I am with the current lads. I won't predict they will murder them, or even win at all, but they have a great chance of doing so if they play to their potential and don't get bullied.
    I agree with Portyhibs that will try and storm out the traps and bulldoze us but if we are strong and stand up to them, they tire badly in the 2nd half of the game and we might just turn them over.
    This has been a stock caveat on this board in the days running up to a Derby for years, and equally as valid for years before that as well.

To date, it hasn't turned out the way we'd like often enough sadly.
    Last edited by lyonhibs; 05-02-2016 at 03:13 PM.

Strangely enough, since returning from the dark side to civilisation on Saturday, I've been feeling crap all week.
    There you have it. Case in point folks

Get well soon MB62

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    He could also play them all and just one forward.
    True, although I can't remember the last time Stubbs started with just one striker. Provided Fontaine and Fyvie are fit I think he'll probably go with the same team that started against St Johnstone.

True, although I can't remember the last time Stubbs started with just one striker. Provided Fontaine and Fyvie are fit I think he'll probably go with the same team that started against St Johnstone.
    Not me.Very surprised if he doesn't go with the three centre halves.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Craig Thomson, as ever, will be the biggest threat to Hibs.

As for the two teams, Hearts seem a physically powerful team, and we must be prepared to compete with them in the midfield. We can't allow them to dominate possession, and it's for that reason I chose Kevin Thomson (if ready to play) in the team thread, with only Cummings as striker. We'd still have plenty of attacking potential in 4-2-3-1, being able to get forward quickly when in possession.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Quote Originally Posted by southern hibby View Post
    Biggest threat ( and make no mistake about it) is the Ref.

GGTTH

Exactly, 100% correct - cheating puddle drinker. HATE that man with a passion.

Agree with others that their biggest threat is Cheat!

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I think they've got more to worry about from us than vice versa. If they try and pressure us high up the pitch it will only take one decent ball through to Cummings or Stokes and we'll be in behind them. We've got nothing to fear.

United we stand here....

Hearts have got a threats in a lot of positions. They're a good side and I think this is our toughest test to date.

Over years going to derbies at the PBS, I have seen us dominate possession, have chances and not take them. They then go and hit us with a sucker punch. Sometimes we've been our own worse enemy.

I think we will create chances again and this time we have to take them. I feel with the quality we have up front we will take these chances.

I'm still thinking draw and a victory in the replay.

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I think they've got more to worry about from us than vice versa. If they try and pressure us high up the pitch it will only take one decent ball through to Cummings or Stokes and we'll be in behind them. We've got nothing to fear.

Agreed and TBH there is a strong possibility that they will leave space for us to exploit. Need to get their CH's one on one getting them turned.

We must also take any chances.

If FF is not fit does anyone else think Stubbs might play Stokes at the tip of the diamond??