hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member offshorehibby's Avatar

Players Released On Dead Line That Could Do A Job

Is there any players released by their clubs that could do a job for us.
    TOP CASH BACK
    The easy way to make money

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by offshorehibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is there any players released by their clubs that could do a job for us.
    No.

@hibs.net private member
    Christian Nade would make a pretty effective security guard..

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Robinho

Ricardo Vaz Te

Testimonial Due Billychaotic182's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Billy Chaotic PSN ID: BillyChaotic
    Higdon?

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Am I alone in loathing that phrase "do a job for us"?

Following in the footsteps of the Famous Five, of Joe Baker and Pat Stanton, wearing the shirt that George Best and Franck Sauzee wore isn't a job - stacking supermarket shelves is a job. Sweeping streets is a job. Cooking the books at Tynecastle is a job. Playing football should be the fulfillment of a dream. The player's dream, and the dreams of the supporters who watch him (or her, these days.)

As for the present crop of last-day rejects and not-good-enoughs, I really don't like the idea of Alan Stubbs and Leeann Dempster picking up the paper this morning and thinking, "Hey, Auchenshoogle United have released reserve goalkeeper Wullie 'Butterfingers' McGoogle. HE COULD DO A JOB FOR US. SIGN HIM UP!"

I'd rather they carried on doing what they have been doing, watching and tracking players until they're sure about them, then making them an offer and bringing them in to play a specific role in the team. For years we were always the tail-end Charlies on the last day of the window and almost every last-minute signing we made turned out to be a total disgrace to the shirt.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    Ricardo Vaz Te
    Would take.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    If we're looking for competition at left back, Aaron Taylor Sinclair is a handy player and without a club at the moment I think.

edit: Still at Doncaster, never mind!

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Would take.
    Vaz Te wouldn't be a bad signing at all. Wouldn't mind seeing him play in a 3 with Stokes and Cummings. Will never happen though.

Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post

Following in the footsteps of the Famous Five, of Joe Baker and Pat Stanton, wearing the shirt that George Best and Franck Sauzee wore isn't a job - stacking supermarket shelves is a job. Sweeping streets is a job. Cooking the books at Tynecastle is a job. Playing football should be the fulfillment of a dream. The player's dream, and the dreams of the supporters who watch him (or her, these days.)

As for the present crop of last-day rejects and not-good-enoughs, I really don't like the idea of Alan Stubbs and Leeann Dempster picking up the paper this morning and thinking, "Hey, Auchenshoogle United have released reserve goalkeeper Wullie 'Butterfingers' McGoogle. HE COULD DO A JOB FOR US. SIGN HIM UP!"

I'd rather they carried on doing what they have been doing, watching and tracking players until they're sure about them, then making them an offer and bringing them in to play a specific role in the team. For years we were always the tail-end Charlies on the last day of the window and almost every last-minute signing we made turned out to be a total disgrace to the shirt.
    Nope. It has a reek of "och, he'll do" about it. In approx 99.9999999999% of cases, players that have been released after the January transfer window are pony.

@hibs.net private member Craig_HFC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 500miles View Post
    If we're looking for competition at left back, Aaron Taylor Sinclair is a handy player and without a club at the moment I think.

edit: Still at Doncaster, never mind!
    He's at Doncaster.

@hibs.net private member Bayern Bru's Avatar
    I see Yves Makalambay is a free agent.

We could sign him and another 'keeper and start a goalkeeping school.

Would take.
    Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post

I think it is a reasonable phrase to use.

Sauzee and Latapy would have been nothing if they didn't have the likes of Fenwick and Smith there to "do a job". The Famous Five wouldn't have been anything like as good if they had a supporting 6 who just chucked goals in.

Yes, it sounds a bit unspectacular but we've had enough players over the past 10 years who didn't do a job that I won't turn my nose up at a solid pro who will do his job in the supporting cast for our more gifted players.

Some of our best players over the years have been scraped out of the bargain bucket when nobody else wanted them and we have rejuvenated them (Jim Leighton for starters).

And the day after the window closed it is a perfectly reasonable question to ask. We might even manage to get a player that we otherwise wouldn't, surely any player worth their salt would rather be playing football for the next few months than be left twiddling their thumbs?

Rob jones

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    Ricardo Vaz Te
    Would take.
    Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    Vaz Te wouldn't be a bad signing at all. Wouldn't mind seeing him play in a 3 with Stokes and Cummings. Will never happen though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Seven View Post
    Same here.
    I know I'm in the minority with regards to Vaz Te on .net, but I thought he was crap at Hibs. Scored against Hearts, but did f all else.