Thread: The penalty

@hibs.net private member SouthMoroccoStu's Avatar

The penalty

Was it a penalty?

The St Johnston fans don't seem to be happy about it

But very well taken by Cummings, he was a lot calmer than I was

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Having watched it several times I can see why they're not happy, but hey ho the best team on the day without a doubt were Hibs.

@hibs.net private member
    I think the boy caught him. Not as heavy a tackle as I thought it was at the time but still a penalty.

I thought at the time it was a stonewaller. Seeing it again it wasn't as hefty a challenge as I thought, definite contact though, impeded Henderson and didn't get near the ball so it was a penalty.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

I think it isn't a penalty. Either Henderson has anticipated the challenge and it never came or he's just dived. Not enough contact, if any, to go down. At time I thought stonewaller, so hard to blame the ref.
    Last edited by bob12345; 31-01-2016 at 09:46 AM.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Referee had a decent view, he makes the call against the criteria he's been set and his experience and judgement, if it's not a penalty penalise Henderson. There was contact, maybe shouldn't have put a leg in. Penalty; all we can do is put it in the net.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Blog Entries
    I don't think think it was a penalty. I also don't think it was a free kick in the lead up to their first goal and that Davidson done the exact same thing as Henderson by going down to give the ref a decision to make as Tommy Wright put it, to win the free kick that hit the bar.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    We'd have been going ballistic if that had gone against us.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

At the time defo pen for me. Seeing it again it is soft but they all count.
    Cougars!!!

If it was last minute of the final, and it was against us, might be a bit miffed. But in this game Hibs were the better side by a distance and deserved to win. If St J fans have an issue, it should be with how poor their side was rather than focusing on a decision taken by the ref who was 10 feet away from the incident.

Hibs have been on the wrong end of far worst decisions as recently as a few weeks ago (McGinn at Falkirk), so will spend no energy feeling guilty or underserving. Well done Hibs, and well done Jason for cooly sticking it away under huge pressure.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Penalty for me. Thought it was clear at the game but less so in the highlights. There was contact and the ref had a great view.

It was never a free kick for their goal, by the way. Absurd decision by the ref for that one.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think I would've. Thought it was an absolute stonewaller at the time and having seen the replay I still think it's a penalty.

Seen the highlights and we got away with one there, swings and roundabouts though, makes up for the ones we've not been given.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    It looked an absolute stonewaller at the time and the Ref was in a good position to make his decision.

We can discuss whether it was or whether it wasn't for evermore but at the end of the day it was awarded and nothing will change that now. We gave the Saintees a good old gubbing yesterday and thoroughly merit our place in the Final.

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post

Maybe so, But it was a penalty.

Definitely a pen. Thought Henderson was outstanding yesterday!

The ref only gets one shot at deciding.If a player leaves his leg there and then makes a big thing about pulling back the ref is almost bound to think that he had tripped him and is trying to get away with it.The foul given to them in the lead up to their goal looked like a throw in to us.I thought any contact between the players took place when the ball was out and they were mostly off the pitch.

Yam trolls are absolutely seething about Hibs getting a penalty yesterday at the PBS. Very pleasing.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Pens like that always make me think of Ashley Young.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    IMHO, no penalty. You can usually tell by the players' reactions, and the Saints players were genuinely angry. That's the modern game I'm afraid; the vast majority of modern players would have done the same. You're furious when they go against you, but you take them.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

It balanced out with the free kick they got fir their goal...never a foul in a month of Sundays

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    When you see it at first its a penalty, but when you see it a few times after there is no way it was a penalty, but hey ho the ref only has a few secs to decide

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    From my seat I was in no doubt it was a clear pen. First look at the tv highlights still a clear pen. Then you watch it slow mo etc.

Sent via the bushes @ EM

OP answered his own question.

As someone once said to me, 'Look in the paper tomorrow morning, son.'

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Famous Fiver View Post
    As someone once said to me, 'Look in the paper tomorrow morning, son.'
    Don't really understand this reasoning. It implies that the referee's decision is always correct, just because it's final.

The thread's not about whether the ref's decision stood, but whether it was right.
    Last edited by lapsedhibee; 31-01-2016 at 12:25 PM.

The free kick St Johnstone got in the lead up to their goal was a baffling decision.

No idea how he thought it was a foul, it should have been a throw in to us so yesterday it evened itself out.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by SunnyLeith View Post
    The free kick St Johnstone got in the lead up to their goal was a baffling decision.

No idea how he thought it was a foul, it should have been a throw in to us so yesterday it evened itself out.

another strange decision was the free kick against Dagnall, when there was a clash of heads in the second half....that one baffled me...

He took a dive IMO, and I'm glad he did.

At the time, from where we were sitting (high up in the wheatfield nearer the gorgie road end) it looked a clear penalty but seeing it on the TV reply it does actually look soft. There was contact but yes Henderson did go to ground very easily. If it had been the other way about we would have been unhappy about it being given.

That said, hibs were by far the better team on the day and had so many good chances for more goals. I can understand why saints fans are unhappy about the decision but if they are completely honest with themselves they know that hibs deserved the win.
    Last edited by 21.05.2016; 31-01-2016 at 12:40 PM.

Couldn't care less after the same ref ****ed us 2 weeks ago.