hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member

Famous 5 Tribute

Realise that the original thread was removed but have noticed a tweet on the PM board that says Hibs Retro is proceeding with his fund raising campaign to raise £200,000 from March 5th.

Just to be clear I do not know Hibs Retro personally or hold him any ill will.

However I was at a meeting at Easter Road the other night and specifically asked about the statues as I had a small involvement a couple of years ago when it was previously discussed. Plans for a memorial were shelved as we plunged towards relegation and Margo McDonald's health deteriorated.

Hibs Retro has no approval from Hibs to organise any statue. No discussion had taken place as of Tuesday night about fund raising and Hibs Retro did not wish to discuss the positioning of the stand. In his opinion he would just put it on the pavement if Hibs don't agree to his demands. (Wonder how the council would feel about that?)

In principle I would love to see a statue but not at £200,000.

It would however have to be properly researched and all accounts audited with suitable safeguards. The agreement to Hibs placing the statue on their land would also have to be in place. I would also want to know what would happen if only say £50,000 was raised and what expenses would be charged for the fundraising and administration.

Personally I would rather that £200,000 was spent on a player which could be done through HSL or the forthcoming share issue.

If Hibs Retro wants to come on and clarify things I would like to hear but I would advise anyone who is thinking about contributing to think long and hard before getting involved.

PS could an admin sort the mis-spell in the title

2. Log in to remove the advert

Tend to agree.

I was also distantly involved in the discussions about a Famous Five statue shortly after Lawrie Reilly passed away. From my memory there were all kinds of logistical issues to overcome as well as cost and various other factors relating to the football club at the time and all went quiet.

I'm all for a statue going ahead, although with my involvement both on here and now with HSL I'd be unable to play any active part, but Hibs Retro leading it makes me somewhat nervous. Given I have reservations about a lot of what they do now I'm unsure I'd contribute to a fund that potentially left them in charge of £200K.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member stu in nottingham's Avatar
    Here's a football statue fund that is just about the come to fruition. This one is of two people and is costing £75,000 which is possibly about pro rata.

It's taken from May 2010 to get there on around half the fan base that Hibs have, just a a yardstick. There are some decent fundraising ideas in there:

http://www.jimmyandjackstatuefund.co.uk/

I would love a FF5 tribute statue thing.

I will have nothing to do with Hibs Retro.
    Space to let

I'm collecting for a Paul Kane statue. I reckon about 85 grand should see me alright to pay off the bailiffs, I mean, get a gleaming state of the art brass 'Kano' in his pomp outside the main entrance in the car park.

Please PM if interested with amount pledged and I'll send over the Western Union cash transfer forms.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    As I posted the original thread I hadn't realised that Retro were not being as honest about it as I originally thought.

Personally I think it's definitely time to make this happen however the fundraising campaign/committee will IMHO need a leader/chairman that we can all trust and get behind.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would love a FF5 tribute statue thing.

I will have nothing to do with Hibs Retro.
    Same here, I think we need a statue in honour of our greatest side.

I will have nothing to do with 'Hibernian Retro'; no amount of stolen Hibs images, videos and quotes will masquerade this fraud of a person.

The reason he may not be able to come on and talk about the statue is that he appears to be banned on Hibs forums. It's a shame he has the power to silence people on his social media pages as it allows him to project an image of sincerity and authenticity. For the umpteenth time, Hibs are the only body with the power to crack down on this chap - he is getting even worse.

I would put as much money as I could afford into a fitting fund for a statue, but only into an official account or one that isn't personally controlled by a ripoff merchant. Even a joint .net/Bounce fund would be suitable if all parties (including Hibs) agreed.
    Last edited by PerfectlyFranck; 28-01-2016 at 08:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    I'm collecting for a Paul Kane statue. I reckon about 85 grand should see me alright to pay off the bailiffs, I mean, get a gleaming state of the art brass 'Kano' in his pomp outside the main entrance in the car park.

Please PM if interested with amount pledged and I'll send over the Western Union cash transfer forms.
    Talk about a well timed post. I was just about to send my bank account details to a Nigerian Prince. This seems a much better deal though.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

A statue would be great, but at this moment in time it would be a luxury we don't need. It's current players we need, not past ones.

And as mentioned above, Hibernian Retro shouldn't be trusted at all.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Why was the original thread removed, and who is Hibernian Retro?
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    That's what I'm wondering as well. Plenty of folk thus far saying he/she/it is a fraud, wouldn't trust them at all etc etc, without a great deal of evidence to back that kind of statement.

Safe to say, I'd need to see something decidedly more formal than a Facebook post to donate any money, but why the default position of them being cowboys??

In principle, I'm all for a Famous 5 statue, and gunmen that there's 5 of them and we'd want it done properly, I'm not sure if the quoted cost is so absolutely ludicrous.

@hibs.net private member Greenworld's Avatar
    Easily sorted club open bank account fans contribute hit target amount statues built easy

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    My question too. Is there proof of this alleged fraudulent activity?

Quote Originally Posted by Greenworld View Post
    Easily sorted club open bank account fans contribute hit target amount statues built easy

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
    Perhaps not that easy.

Every sinue of our club must be directed towards promotion just now.

£200,000 misdirected from the support is the difference between having a John McGinn or a new contract for Jase or a new player of their caliber or it not happening.

At best Hibs Retro don't think at worst they're selfish wee *******s ... or maybe even worse.
    Space to let

I am kinda to comment on this as the last time I posted on a Retro Hibernian thread, on Facebook, I received an email allegedly from them, stating I was being reported to the police, Hibs knew all about my 'crimes' and that I was a disgrace to the Hibs support. Oh, and the email was from a spoof address of Hibs.net too, for good measure.

If you're reading this then

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FranckSuzy View Post
    I am kinda to comment on this as the last time I posted on a Retro Hibernian thread, on Facebook, I received an email allegedly from them, stating I was being reported to the police, Hibs knew all about my 'crimes' and that I was a disgrace to the Hibs support. Oh, and the email was from a spoof address of Hibs.net too, for good measure.

If you're reading this then
    I'm totally lost as to what's happening . I remember the statue thread earlier in the week, but now I'm confused.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mon Dieu View Post
    Same here, I think we need a statue in honour of our greatest side.

I will have nothing to do with 'Hibernian Retro'; no amount of stolen Hibs images, videos and quotes will masquerade this fraud of a person.

The reason he may not be able to come on and talk about the statue is that he appears to be banned on Hibs forums. It's a shame he has the power to silence people on his social media pages as it allows him to project an image of sincerity and authenticity. For the umpteenth time, Hibs are the only body with the power to crack down on this chap - he is getting even worse.

I would put as much money as I could afford into a fitting fund for a statue, but only into an official account or one that isn't personally controlled by a ripoff merchant. Even a joint .net/Bounce fund would be suitable if all parties (including Hibs) agreed.
    Glad someone else noticed this!

Everything they post on their Facebook, Twitter and now their YouTube channels are all ripped off someone else with absolutely no credit given. Noticed they'd been taking images designed by the Bounce and Four in Hand Twitter accounts, cut off the logos an then posted them on their own site!

I know its hardly the crime of the century but for me it's very much indicative of the type of person is behind it. They can bolt with their fundraising.

@hibs.net private member
    The Hibs Historical Trust were talking about a statue a few years ago and they were getting costs and everything then. The last thing I remember talking to them about it was last summer was that it had been delayed because of the share issue/HSL/STs, fans were being asked for a lot money so to be asked again for even more might mean it fails to reach target. I don't know what their exact plans were.

When it appeared on facebook the other night I added a comment to the post asking about the HHTs involvement (I don't think they would drop out of the statue project completely) and where it was going, had Hibs agreed to location, etc? Hibs retro deleted my comment and then sent me a private message to answer, they said:

1. "We are spearheading the campaign now" - my question not answered, I wasn't asking about them taking charge, it was if HHT were still involved
    2. "We have been in touch with the club and will release more details as we get closer to the campaign start date" - again question not answered.

I left it at that, I wasn't prepared to get into a debate about it. I don't know why my comment was deleted, there was nothing wrong with my questions as far I'm aware, they were reasonable and I wanted answers. I don't know why they couldn't be answered in the public forum.

That and what Pathead has said I won't be getting behind this. I will, however, support a project to build a statue in the future which I can feel confident about, supported by the club and where we can see the financials up front and will be informed of the expenses throughout.

@hibs.net private member
    Absolutely 100% of our efforts right now should be directed towards achieving promotion at the end of this season. Any extra money raised should be used to make this a reality. Only when we're back where we belong should a memorial to the Famous Five be considered. Pretty sure if the Five were here today they would prefer to see Hibs in the top flight rather than a statue of themselves outside a 2nd tier football stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by The Harp View Post
    Absolutely 100% of our efforts right now should be directed towards achieving promotion at the end of this season. Any extra money raised should be used to make this a reality. Only when we're back where we belong should a memorial to the Famous Five be considered. Pretty sure if the Five were here today they would prefer to see Hibs in the top flight rather than a statue of themselves outside a 2nd tier football stadium.

Maybe they should put up a TV as a prize in the fundraising effort...

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Until the share issue is 100% taken up and until we are back in the top league then any funds available from fans would be better directed to those goals rather than a statue. IMHO.

@hibs.net private member Argylehibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Twiglet View Post
    The Hibs Historical Trust were talking about a statue a few years ago and they were getting costs and everything then. The last thing I remember talking to them about it was last summer was that it had been delayed because of the share issue/HSL/STs, fans were being asked for a lot money so to be asked again for even more might mean it fails to reach target. I don't know what their exact plans were.

When it appeared on facebook the other night I added a comment to the post asking about the HHTs involvement (I don't think they would drop out of the statue project completely) and where it was going, had Hibs agreed to location, etc? Hibs retro deleted my comment and then sent me a private message to answer, they said:

1. "We are spearheading the campaign now" - my question not answered, I wasn't asking about them taking charge, it was if HHT were still involved
    2. "We have been in touch with the club and will release more details as we get closer to the campaign start date" - again question not answered.

I left it at that, I wasn't prepared to get into a debate about it. I don't know why my comment was deleted, there was nothing wrong with my questions as far I'm aware, they were reasonable and I wanted answers. I don't know why they couldn't be answered in the public forum.

That and what Pathead has said I won't be getting behind this. I will, however, support a project to build a statue in the future which I can feel confident about, supported by the club and where we can see the financials up front and will be informed of the expenses throughout.
    I believe their answer 2 has no element of truth in it

As Kevin has stated, there is no involvement from the Club or Historical Trust at present.

Any project like this would need to be discussed in the correct forum with representation from all affected parties (i.e. Fans, Club, Historical Trust etc).

So far such a forum has not been held.

Amit

Famous 5 Tribute

I don't know a thing about Hibs Retro but what I would say is that we are currently in a massive fundraising effort in order to achieve fan ownership.
    Right now, the fans through HSL are contributing about £25k a month to the club and we are obviously trying to increase that amount, so that the manager has the funds available to match our rivals.
    Setting up a separate fund raising scheme among the support will only undermine HSL at this crucial time.
    Perhaps when we achieve our target of 51% fan ownership we can think about carrying on to fund a statue with the full backing of the club and with input from all sections of the Hibs support.
    In the meantime I would say to people, keep signing up for HSL, you're making a massive difference.
    http://www.hiberniansupporters.co.uk/phone/donate.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ozyhibby; 29-01-2016 at 08:03 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    A statue of the Famous 5 would be a great idea. I can't understand why people would be against it.

Hibernian Retro just seems like a Facebook page that people can comment on things from the past to do with Hibs. That's how it comes across anyway, so unless other people have more inside knowledge that the person/people running that page are up to no good, what is the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    A statue of the Famous 5 would be a great idea. I can't understand why people would be against it.

Hibernian Retro just seems like a Facebook page that people can comment on things from the past to do with Hibs. That's how it comes across anyway, so unless other people have more inside knowledge that the person/people running that page are up to no good, what is the problem?
    I don't think there is a single Hibs fan out there who is against the idea but it needs to be done properly with input from both the club and all sections of the support. And at the moment, the fans are already contributing massively to help fund fan ownership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    We've had far too many statues playing for us in recent times, lets wait until we are playing football at a decent level, and challenging for Europe and cups.

Then we can think about spending money on this, we would all want to see a statue on the side of the stand at the ground, but there's a time and place for this.

Now is not the right time.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    We've had far too many statues playing for us in recent times, lets wait until we are playing football at a decent level, and challenging for Europe and cups.

Then we can think about spending money on this, we would all want to see a statue on the side of the stand at the ground, but there's a time and place for this.

Now is not the right time.
    Agree, and if it does happen I'd rather we consulted a bit more widely than just waiting on hibs retro telling us what to do.

My preference would be a 25ft statue of that Doherty guy we had from Wolves, there's plenty still life defending shots about so the modelling work is already done.

Either him or Kuqi.

Could make them out of carbon fibre to make them a bit more mobile than their playing days here.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    Realise that the original thread was removed but have noticed a tweet on the PM board that says Hibs Retro is proceeding with his fund raising campaign to raise £200,000 from March 5th.

Just to be clear I do not know Hibs Retro personally or hold him any ill will.

However I was at a meeting at Easter Road the other night and specifically asked about the statues as I had a small involvement a couple of years ago when it was previously discussed. Plans for a memorial were shelved as we plunged towards relegation and Margo McDonald's health deteriorated.

Hibs Retro has no approval from Hibs to organise any statue. No discussion had taken place as of Tuesday night about fund raising and Hibs Retro did not wish to discuss the positioning of the stand. In his opinion he would just put it on the pavement if Hibs don't agree to his demands. (Wonder how the council would feel about that?)

In principle I would love to see a statue but not at £200,000.

It would however have to be properly researched and all accounts audited with suitable safeguards. The agreement to Hibs placing the statue on their land would also have to be in place. I would also want to know what would happen if only say £50,000 was raised and what expenses would be charged for the fundraising and administration.

Personally I would rather that £200,000 was spent on a player which could be done through HSL or the forthcoming share issue.

If Hibs Retro wants to come on and clarify things I would like to hear but I would advise anyone who is thinking about contributing to think long and hard before getting involved.

PS could an admin sort the mis-spell in the title
    If there's a way forward on the statue this is the approach I would support and contribute to. Not comfortable with the retro style.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby