hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Lesser remembered excellent goals/matches etc

Enjoyed reading the first match thread and someone made a decent point about how it's nice to read peoples memories. With that in mind here's a thread for non Hampden/derby/old firm victories, skills, great goals etc. to be fondly remembered

I'll start with this 5-1 win against St Mirren under Collins. Benji and Zemmama were almost telepathic this day, a proper exhibition from them in one of the most enjoyable matches I've been to. Probably the last time I watched a match from the south stand that day. Highlights are five minutes in to this video.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    4 1 at tannadice boxing day 2004. That was the game that really confirmed for me that we had a special team on the park again. We'd beaten aberdeen at easter road a few weeks earlier but the performance at tannadice was particularly magnificent.

Peter Cormack goal from the half way line against Dunfermline at Easter Road in about 1968. I was in the old east terracing and knew that it was going in as soon as it left his boot.

A goal against Motherwell we scored from a corner - during the melee in the penalty box we hit the bar four times before finally putting it in. Not sure exactly when this was but I have it on videotape somewhere and I'm sure it was early nineties or late eighties.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Euan88
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    4 1 at tannadice boxing day 2004. That was the game that really confirmed for me that we had a special team on the park again. We'd beaten aberdeen at easter road a few weeks earlier but the performance at tannadice was particularly magnificent.
    Good shout. I remember going 1-0 down in that game and not being that bothered cause I knew we would come back.

In terms of goals, I nominate Gary Caldwell's Roberto Carlos-esque free kick from 25 yards against Kilmarnock in 2004-ish. It was an end-of-season game so the goal didn't get the recognition it deserved.

1-0 away to Aberdeen in Mowbrays 1st season.

They had been getting talked up after a good start whilst we'd been a bit hit or miss. We played really well against a good side and Derek Riordan scored a beauty for the winner. We really kicked on after that game.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

The circumstances are a bit sketchy and even the opponent, but Ian Murray scored a cracking goal against either Dundee Utd or Motherwell at the FF Stand end I think close to full time, we were either drawing or getting beat at the time, he picked the ball up deep in our half and drove into the Utd/Well half and spanked an absolute screamer into the net from about 25 yards out, I remember the whole east stand going absolutely mental it was such a peach of a hit!

Testimonial Due NadeAteMyLunch!'s Avatar
    5-1(I think) against Dundee at ER when Agathe scored two screamers. Sadly that game probably got him his move to Celtic.
    6-2 away to Motherwell. Great double for Ivan. Back when we would just steamroller teams if we fancied

93/94, just before Christmas, Motherwell at ER. They were 1-0 up at half time. The other half time scores around the country came through and everyone we needed to be losing, was losing. I think we had the chance to go third in the league (I think), but we obviously needed to win before we could do that. The crowd really got revved up for the second half. Was a great game, and we ended up winning 3-2 (I think), with all the other teams still losing. Great game, great atmosphere.

Two 3-3 away draws at Dunfermline and Morton in the space of a fortnight at the start of the 1987-88 season, scorching hot weather and some great football played. IIRC The Pars game was their first ever PL match, great atmosphere at that game too, it was mobbed.
    Last edited by HUTCHYHIBBY; 18-01-2016 at 07:33 PM.

Can I have the 4-4 game at home to Dundee shortly after Mowbray took over?

A home draw against Dundee shouldn't really be something to shout about but that game (a bit like the Tannadice one mentioned above) really confirmed for me that we were going places.

It was the game that gave rise to the "if we play like that then we'll win more than we lose" comment and it was maybe the most appropriate soundbite we'll ever hear from a Hibs manager. We were immense going forward that day, yes we had our defensive lapses but it was magnificent to see Hibs playing the way we want them to.

It was also the day we saw the best goal that never was, Riordan's volley was out of this world and one of the most outrageous pieces of skill we'll ever see from a Hibs player only to be (wrongly) ruled out for offside.

Having watched years and years of huff and puff and basically crap football since, I ended up longing for the days where we played the type of football that would lead to us winning more than we lose.

I for one am grateful to have those days back again.

Edit - just found the highlights. I'd erased from memory quite how bad our defending was.

Watching Dean Sheils in these highlights is a bit like watching episode 1 and 2 or Star Wars, when Anakin was a good guy before bad things happened…...

https://youtu.be/D7tTGZAw4Jo
    Last edited by Smartie; 18-01-2016 at 07:56 PM.

3-0 v Dundee in 2001, last game before the Main Stand came down.

3-2 at East End Park in 2012, Fenlon's first win maybe?

Hibs have had a good mix of games against teams outwith Rangers, Celtic and Hearts that have meant a lot because we were either doing really well (v nine man Aberdeen when doing well under Hughes, last minute winners for Mowbray's team in 2004/05) or because we were honking and needing to win.

3-2 v Cowdenbeath last year

@hibs.net private member
    I remember a match against Morton on a midweek night when 2 Norwegians, (Isaac Refvik and Sven Matheson? Refvik scored a great goal from a free kick routine. Can't remember final score but sure was in the Fat Ally McLeod era

Quote Originally Posted by The_Exile View Post
    The circumstances are a bit sketchy and even the opponent, but Ian Murray scored a cracking goal against either Dundee Utd or Motherwell at the FF Stand end I think close to full time, we were either drawing or getting beat at the time, he picked the ball up deep in our half and drove into the Utd/Well half and spanked an absolute screamer into the net from about 25 yards out, I remember the whole east stand going absolutely mental it was such a peach of a hit!
    Dundee United. He wasn't that deep in our half though, more like the half way line. Down the slope.

Think we won 3-0.

For me it was 4-1 v Dunfermline fletch and Deek scoring 2 each after we were one down at half time.

Full stand, great bridie, sunny day, Hibs won.

Fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Can I have the 4-4 game at home to Dundee shortly after Mowbray took over?

A home draw against Dundee shouldn't really be something to shout about but that game (a bit like the Tannadice one mentioned above) really confirmed for me that we were going places.

It was the game that gave rise to the "if we play like that then we'll win more than we lose" comment and it was maybe the most appropriate soundbite we'll ever hear from a Hibs manager. We were immense going forward that day, yes we had our defensive lapses but it was magnificent to see Hibs playing the way we want them to.

It was also the day we saw the best goal that never was, Riordan's volley was out of this world and one of the most outrageous pieces of skill we'll ever see from a Hibs player only to be (wrongly) ruled out for offside.

Having watched years and years of huff and puff and basically crap football since, I ended up longing for the days where we played the type of football that would lead to us winning more than we lose.

I for one am grateful to have those days back again.
    Remember Jim Duffy describing us as 'like Brazil' that day.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by The_Exile View Post
    You might be referring to a St Mirren game at home?

93rd minute winner, 2-1 it finished to keep our brilliant run going under Yogi.

Burst my nose in the celebrations of that!

Ian Murray header to beat Motherwell 1-0 at Easter Road, 2005 season.

Gary Smiths only Hibs goal in a 3-2 win over Dundee United.

I still remember, as a wee lad, jumping about daft behind the goals at East End Park when Jim Scott scored in the last minute to win the match for Hibs by 6 goals to 5. Hibs having led 4-0 at one stage and Pars bringing it back to 5-5.

@hibs.net private member
    I recall a late Stephen Glass goal , at home against Aberdeen?? That caused great celebrations..anyone recall ??

One I remember was 4-2 against Kilmarnock at home. We were 2-0 down at half time and I remember saying to my mate we'll put 4 past them second half . We did indeed & the east was bouncing, just one of those games that sticks in the memory. My memories brutal but must have been about 2004?

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    I recall a late Stephen Glass goal , at home against Aberdeen?? That caused great celebrations..anyone recall ??

Yeah, Mowbray era?

Was that the acrobatic volley towards the end of a game when we were shooting down the slope?

I remember that, peach of a goal.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Was that the acrobatic volley towards the end of a game when we were shooting down the slope?

I remember that, peach of a goal.
    Yes. That's the one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Yeah, Mowbray era?
    Yes. Would have been I think ...

2-1 2007/08?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stax View Post
    2-1 2007/08?
    Yes. Pretty sure we scored twice late on to win ?? Glass with the winner

@hibs.net private member
    That was an important game around Christmas (maybe early December) because we had been a number of points behind and that win drew us right into the mix for 3rd place.

Cracking atmosphere.

@hibs.net private member
    Eddie May v Celtic to win 4-3 in injury time. Scottish Cup.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    That was an important game around Christmas (maybe early December) because we had been a number of points behind and that win drew us right into the mix for 3rd place.

Cracking atmosphere.
    Thanks guys - great to recall that.

He was an under rated contributor for us ..and yes. Great atmosphere that day !

First Team Regular Topographic Hibby's Avatar
    Beating Dundee 5-2 around 1979. Ralph Callachan waltzed around 5 defenders, some more than once, with an absolute screamer. I was high on the East watching the action on the pitch, whilst keeping half an eye on the running battle between supporters out on Albion Road. Funny times, the 70s.....