hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Malonga/Cummings/Stokes

So what do we think Will be Stubbsy's striking partnership?

Doubt he will try accommodate all 3, I would reckon Cummings & Stokes.

Or will he continue with Cummings & Malonga and make Stokes fight for his place in the starting line up with him initially starting on the bench?

I suspect Cummings and Malonga will feel hard done to by being dropped to make way for Stokes.

I fear that Malonga might go in the huff if Stokes comes straight in and takes his place but with Stokes cup tied for the semi, maybe Malonga can be our League Cup hero

2. Log in to remove the advert

Blog Entries
    I don't have the slightest doubt that Stokes main pre-condition will be that he gets maximum game time. Cummings and Malonga will be the losers in game time but if it works out, then let's go for it.

Cummings & Stokes with Malonga just in the hole. Tip of the diamond so to speak. Think all 3 would thrive in this team getting goals!

Stokes won't start but he'll play

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't have the slightest doubt that Stokes main pre-condition will be that he gets maximum game time. Cummings and Malonga will be the losers in game time but if it works out, then let's go for it.
    Totally agree, I think that part of his own negotiations will have been assurance that he is a 1st team starter.

Think he will score a barrow load for remainder of the season IMO it's quite a drop in standard coming down to Championship.

Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    Cummings & Stokes with Malonga just in the hole. Tip of the diamond so to speak. Think all 3 would thrive in this team getting goals!
    Hope your right as would love to see all 3 start but the tip of the diamond still requires an element of tracking back to help in midfield when we don't have the ball and not convinced Malonga has the work rate for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    Don't see Cummings losing out on much game time. Best striker this year by a distance. All the others have been in and out the team a bit and struggled for consistency.

Stokes and Cummings (unless he stops scoring which I dont think he will) will play. He'll try and get one other striker in the team after that most weeks I'd think.

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    Feel a wee bit sorry for Keatings.

But he has went right off the boil recently so it will be up to him to force his way back in the team.

We are looking very strong across all areas of the pitch now. Big up Stubbsy!

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicSwirlingShip View Post
    Feel a wee bit sorry for Keatings.

But he has went right off the boil recently so it will be up to him to force his way back in the team.

We are looking very strong across all areas of the pitch now. Big up Stubbsy!
    Keatings is a great wee player - this'll actually be a good incentive for him. He's still got a huge part to play. Hearts should never have released him. He's going to play a big part in the run in for me.

First Team Breakthrough portyhibernian's Avatar
    How is Stokes in terms of match fitness? Think I read on here he's only played twice this season?? If that's the case I think he might start on the bench, although I would imagine he'll get on at some point.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by portyhibernian View Post
    How is Stokes in terms of match fitness? Think I read on here he's only played twice this season?? If that's the case I think he might start on the bench, although I would imagine he'll get on at some point.
    He trains regularly and has been on the bench - we are in a league with Alloa, Dumbarton, Livi, etc.......he's some of the best stats in the SPL over the last few seasons.....he'll be ready !!

What about dagnall?

Looks like he might have been getting games in the u20 development games, which would have kept his match fitness up

Quote Originally Posted by Hiberniankb View Post
    What about dagnall?
    Yeah, forgot all about him.

Not fair to judge him on his 1st game against Raith as it will take time to bed him in, especially moving to another country.

I suspect he will be a 'squad player' and be a regular on the bench as these 3 will be ahead of him in starting order.

Quote Originally Posted by macca70 View Post
    Totally agree, I think that part of his own negotiations will have been assurance that he is a 1st team starter.

Think he will score a barrow load for remainder of the season IMO it's quite a drop in standard coming down to Championship.

I'm not clued up on these at all so hope this doesn't sound too daft to ask those in the know...
    I'm assuming we wouldn't give anything contractual saying we HAD to play him in the first team if he was not what we were looking for? Would we possibly promise Celtic he would be a first team player and then get into problems with them if we didn't or would it just be a loan termination if he wasn't up to scratch?

Not doubting he would be but interested in the 'legalities' as it were.

First Team Breakthrough portyhibernian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heidtheba View Post
    I'm not clued up on these at all so hope this doesn't sound too daft to ask those in the know...
    I'm assuming we wouldn't give anything contractual saying we HAD to play him in the first team if he was not what we were looking for? Would we possibly promise Celtic he would be a first team player and then get into problems with them if we didn't or would it just be a loan termination if he wasn't up to scratch?

Not doubting he would be but interested in the 'legalities' as it were.

I think things like that would be more of a gentleman's agreement rather than something written into the contract??

I think things like that would be more of a gentleman's agreement rather than something written into the contract??
    Great - ty!

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    If he's fit , I would love to start with all 3. I wo
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

@hibs.net private member Libby Hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiberniankb View Post
    What about dagnall?
    Everything I have heard has been positive. An ex pro said it was a proper coup that we had signed him.

But what Stubbs has now is options. Others may disagree but we were too reliant on Cummings, now we have 5 strikers with the 3 mentioned, Keatings and Dagnall to choose from which gives Stubbs 5 strikers who will contribute.

It didn't work out for them but replacing Feruz and Anier with Stokes and Dagnall releases the burden on JC a bit but will also provide real, proper competition for the strikers which can only be good for the side as a whole.

Really excited about what is going on at ER just now.

@hibs.net private member California-Hibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: BringTheCairds
    Enjoy folks, we're gonna now hand out some heavy score lines!

When is Insall due back?

They can play at being Neymar/Suarez/Messi at drills at EM.

Who gets to be wee Lionel? Or is that McGinn?

A formation of 4 3 2 1
    With Cummings and Stokes playing in behind Dom (I think he is a must as he can hold onto the ball and runs the channels well), leaving Stokes and Cummings the space to thrive.

Back 4 picks itself IMHO with McGinn & Dylan also certs to start.

Tremendous signing, provided Stokes is a team player of course. Winning teams are good dressing rooms. We have a treble of fronts to win silverware, so confident this will go well. Focus now on Falkirk, beat them and the Rangers will be next in our sights. I would play as many strikers as possible.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I only have to think about a front 3 of Malonga, Cummings and Stokes and I'm nursing a semi.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    Agree. When Dom dropped into the tip of the diamond last week we started to play better and he got himself far more involved

Quote Originally Posted by AlbertK86 View Post
    Agree. When Dom dropped into the tip of the diamond last week we started to play better and he got himself far more involved
    Agreed however I think Stokes would also be very good in there.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I only have to think about a front 3 of Malonga, Cummings and Stokes and I'm nursing a semi.

Aye, lots of options and competition for places up front.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    Agreed however I think Stokes would also be very good in there.
    Not for me, Stokes has to be up top.

@hibs.net private member
    Against most sides in this league we should be starting with 3 forwards - Cummings, Stokes and Malonga for me. It's then up to Boyle, Dagnall and Keatings to work there way into the team