hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

2016 Australian Open

As always, I'm looking forward to the Australian Open starting, which begins at 12am on Monday UK time.

Andy Murray looks to have a pretty decent draw on paper. The highest seed he'll play before the quarter finals is Bernard Tomic, which won't be a problem for him. He starts against the German Alexander Zverev in round one.

As for the other Brits who have qualified, Aljaz Bedene has a tough first round tie against the 31st seed Steve Johnson and Kyle Edmund has a decent chance in his tie with Damir Dzumhur of Bosnia-Herzegovina.

World number one and defending champion Novak Djokovic plays South Korean Chung Hyeon in round one so I don't anticipate any problems for him there. Roger Federer plays Nikoloz Basilashvili and Rafael Nadal has a very interesting opening match against fellow Spaniard Fernando Verdasco.

Incidentally, Murray can't meet Djokovic or Federer until the final.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    Quote Originally Posted by Trig View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As always, I'm looking forward to the Australian Open starting, which begins at 12am on Monday UK time.

Andy Murray looks to have a pretty decent draw on paper. The highest seed he'll play before the quarter finals is Bernard Tomic, which won't be a problem for him. He starts against the German Alexander Zverev in round one.

As for the other Brits who have qualified, Aljaz Bedene has a tough first round tie against the 31st seed Steve Johnson and Kyle Edmund has a decent chance in his tie with Damir Dzumhur of Bosnia-Herzegovina.

World number one and defending champion Novak Djokovic plays South Korean Chung Hyeon in round one so I don't anticipate any problems for him there. Roger Federer plays Nikoloz Basilashvili and Rafael Nadal has a very interesting opening match against fellow Spaniard Fernando Verdasco.

Incidentally, Murray can't meet Djokovic or Federer until the final.
    Looking forward to it. Im off Monday-Wed so hoping to catch a couple of Murrays matches live

Quote Originally Posted by Hibee87 View Post
    Looking forward to it. Im off Monday-Wed so hoping to catch a couple of Murrays matches live
    I'm looking forward to it too although I tend to just manage with the highlights package for the early rounds.

The time difference is a killer.

Also a big well done to Dan Evans who has come through qualifying to make the main draw.

He now has a tough first round match against Feliciano Lopez.

@hibs.net private member
    What channel is it on?

Some interesting news breaking today about potential match fixing in tennis and a decision to sweep it under the carpet being made.

This one's going to run and likely be a bit embarrassing for a few people.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Some interesting news breaking today about potential match fixing in tennis and a decision to sweep it under the carpet being made.

This one's going to run and likely be a bit embarrassing for a few people.
    This is a nightmare for the sport. They must not have enough evidence to name anyone or else you would have thought they would have by now.

Hopefully this will be fully investigated.

Andy Murray begins his Australian Open campaign against Alexander Zverev and he's the second match on Margaret Court Arena meaning that he should be on around 2am UK time.

Not fantastic timing for a British audience.

Murray through. Nadal out

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TreadsoneScot
    Watched the Konta match. She was superb. Wobbled a bit at the end of both sets but the usually weak forehand stood up. Watson and Robson could take a lead regarding the hard work she has put in the last eighteen months.

Quote Originally Posted by Treadstone View Post
    Watched the Konta match. She was superb. Wobbled a bit at the end of both sets but the usually weak forehand stood up. Watson and Robson could take a lead regarding the hard work she has put in the last eighteen months.
    She's putting in some very impressive results right now and seems to have a very good attitude as well.

Good luck to her.

Great result for Murray today and he should be safe enough in his next match against Sam Groth.

Not overly surprised by Verdasco's win over Nadal either.

She's putting in some very impressive results right now and seems to have a very good attitude as well.

Good luck to her.

Great result for Murray today and he should be safe enough in his next match against Sam Groth.

Not overly surprised by Verdasco's win over Nadal either.
    Agree about Verdasco. I wasn't at all surprised when I saw that result. On his day he's a fine player and Nadal is not the force he was.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Agree about Verdasco. I wasn't at all surprised when I saw that result. On his day he's a fine player and Nadal is not the force he was.
    Being a non-seed, he was going to be a dangerous opponent for anyone that he played in the first round.

He's really in a false position of 45 in the world, he should be much higher than that. It wasn't that long ago that he nearly beat Murray at Wimbledon.

His forehand is huge when he's on his game and his serve is extremely powerful as well. I saw a bit of the match this morning as I was getting ready for work and Nadal couldn't cope with the power in his shots. He had him all over the place.

He's unlikely to challenge the top few guys but he'll maybe fancy his chances of getting into the quarter finals now.

Another great win for Murray this morning against Sam Groth - winning 6-0 6-4 6-1.

He now plays Joao Sousa in round three.

I also have to mention the retirement of Lleyton Hewitt after his straight sets defeat to David Ferrer.

I loved watching him when I was growing up, his fighting spirit and determination to win was so impressive.

He came along at the right time as he managed to win his two majors just before Roger Federer started to dominate the sport.

Unbelievable fighter on the court and he'll be a big miss.

He's unlikely to challenge the top few guys but he'll maybe fancy his chances of getting into the quarter finals now.
    Beaten by Dudi Sela today\yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    Beaten by Dudi Sela today\yesterday.
    Typical.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Has Dimitrov had an injury?

Seems to have dropped down the rankings.

Gamer IDs

Looking forward to watching Konta tonight. Should've beat this girl in the French last year but choked a little. This a better surface for her and better form since that defeat. Mentally a far stronger proposition too.

Quote Originally Posted by MB Crunch View Post
    Has Dimitrov had an injury?

Seems to have dropped down the rankings.
    Just out of form I think.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    This Kyrgios geezer is deranged, every time I see him he loses the plot. He's quite entertaining

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This Kyrgios geezer is deranged, every time I see him he loses the plot. He's quite entertaining
    He's an idiot.

Unfortunately he seems to fancy himself as being a bit of a John McEnroe figure but without the talent.

Andy Murray will be on at 8am UK time tomorrow in his match against Joao Sousa, for anyone who fancies getting up early.

Gamer IDs

Well done Konta. Easy 6-2 6-2 served superbly. Probably Makarova next. Think it might end there but wouldn't rule her out. Muguruza probably going out too that bottom half of the draw has opened right up.

Bed now, up for Andy.

News that Murrays father in law has been taken to hospital and the game he was watching postponed. Not sure what impact if any that will have but its now 1 set all in Murrays game.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    News that Murrays father in law has been taken to hospital and the game he was watching postponed. Not sure what impact if any that will have but its now 1 set all in Murrays game.
    Murray through.

Ivanovic lost after going back on.

Probably should have suspended it.

Good to see that Nigel Sears appears to be ok after his health scare earlier.

Good win for Murray today although he'll be annoyed at dropping a set.

He should have a comfortable victory against Bernard Tomic in the next round.

Tough match for Djokovic today eventually coming through in five sets against Gilles Simon.

He now plays Kei Nishikori in the quarter finals after he beat Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in straight sets.

It's going to be a late start for Roger Federer as he is on after the women's match which is currently half way through the final set.

It's already 10:15pm in Melbourne.

Gamer IDs

Well done Jo Konta. Gutsy win. This will probably make the main news bulletins and deservedly so but will serve to show how much Andy is taken for granted. Quarter finals are pretty much routine and expected and only covered in dedicated news channels and Scottish regional broadcasts.

We'll miss him when he's gone.

Murray takes a 2 set lead (6-4, 6-4) v Tomic.

Murray wins the match taking the 3rd set on a tie-break.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Murray wins the match taking the 3rd set on a tie-break.
    He didn't look overly happy at the end

United we stand here....