hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Kojock's Avatar

Police Advice - Sectarian Singing

Senior Police officer has given this advice to combat Sectarian singing.

"If you are sitting at a game and you're uncomfortable because of something you see or something you hear, the reality is people around you will probably be uncomfortable as well.
    "That's unacceptable. What I would urge you to do is go and report it to the steward or go and report it to a police officer."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-35317169

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kojock View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

"If you are sitting at a game and you're uncomfortable because of something you see or something you hear, the reality is people around you will probably be uncomfortable as well.
    "That's unacceptable. What I would urge you to do is go and report it to the steward or go and report it to a police officer."

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    Quite.

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A phrase ending wth the word 'Sherlock' springs to mind.

@hibs.net private member Ringothedog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    Absolutely, you are the told to sit down or you will be "lifted" or thrown out. Token gesture from an organisation under pressure to be seen to be doing something.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    This guy sounds like some of the high court judges, hasnae a ****** clue about what happens in the real world.

"policeman, 50k Rangers fans just called Stubbs a fenian *******

"dont know what your talking about"

@hibs.net private member
    To be fair to the police and stewards, it's not realistic to lift 3000 plus supporters. This should be coming from the SPFL/SFA. The clubs should be docked points and thrown out of competitions and then we'll maybe see something happen. Clearly fines don't work.

@hibs.net private member
    Better cancel the flute band I booked. Damn LOL!!

Quote Originally Posted by allezsauzee View Post
    To be fair to the police and stewards, it's not realistic to lift 3000 plus supporters. This should be coming from the SPFL/SFA. The clubs should be docked points and thrown out of competitions and then we'll maybe see something happen. Clearly fines don't work.
    This.

The very sight of 50,000 The Rangers Fans offends me. Can I report that to the Poilce?

Hallelujah - any decent football person knows the answer except those that can make it happen!!

An official warning to Club and fans and then start deducting 3 points on each occasion - it will stop very quickly!!!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewster View Post
    Hallelujah - any decent football person knows the answer except those that can make it happen!!

An official warning to Club and fans and then start deducting 3 points on each occasion - it will stop very quickly!!!
    They've been discussing this on the radio - the clubs won't allow that to happen. It's the clubs that are blocking the pits deduction/closed door matches as punishment.

right then, why did this senior polis man come out with that then? why did he not say, if people are complaining to us during matches, we will take this to another level and inform clubs, sfa/spfl that it is against the law therefor we shall take action against the aforementioned bodies if they cant control it? action from all concerned, is required now. Its gone on too long.

I agree it's unrealistic to do this. However, standing by and watching The Rangers fans throw lighters, coins, cups of pish and anything else they can use as a missile is laughable. They completely ignore the morons who do this and when you do what this guy is saying you are told, as another poster pointed out, "sit down or yer lifted!"

I would actually like the clubs and sfa to define the meaning of "steward" at football matches. also let us know their real function, their training, their hierarchy atc, because I have yet to meet one who acts as if he /she knows his/her job. are any of them basic first aid trained? what would they do if a suspected heart attack event occurred?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by monktonharp View Post
    I would actually like the clubs and sfa to define the meaning of "steward" at football matches. also let us know their real function, their training, their hierarchy atc, because I have yet to meet one who acts as if he /she knows his/her job. are any of them basic first aid trained? what would they do if a suspected heart attack event occurred?
    Shout on the first aid folk??

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    I wrote to the "Nil by Mouth" anti- sectarian organisation last year, highlighting that they were factually incorrect and actually at risk of colluding with the bigots by perpetrating the myth that Hibs fans are part of the sectarian equation.

I suggested to them that this was actually an apologist piece of nonsense largely based on the erroneous views of a small number of sports journalists who had their own agenda for ignoring the blatantly obvious fact that there is only one team in Edinburgh whose fans have an overt interest in "religion" based hate.

Fair enough, maybe they are too busy to bother responding etc, but it worried me that an organisation that is funded to raise awareness of sectarianism and bigotry should buy into this nonsense.

In order to eradicate the problem, truth, honesty and bravery are required. Trying to make the situation in Edinburgh football analogous with that in Glasgow actually helps the haters keep hating. If that's the best a funded body can do then we're a long way from ever being able to say we've made progress.

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    This is an opportunity to put the deputy Chief constable on the spot by raising the issues that occurred at Ibrox directly with him. An official letter to him from our fans rep stating all the points mentioned on here and the apparent lack of protection given by both the police and stewards and let's see if it is just more empty rhetoric.

Quote Originally Posted by BoomtownHibeys View Post
    Shout on the first aid folk??
    Nah, I canny mate. I've got to stay here. standard reply

Police advice on sectarian singing....

"Do it among a Rangers support of thousands (normally called 'a minority'), as that way there's almost no chance of getting lifted"

...allegedly.

@hibs.net private member GordonHFC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibayernian View Post
    The very sight of 50,000 The Rangers Fans offends me. Can I report that to the Poilce?
    Yes you can but it is probably not worth the effort because the chances are that there is a 50/50 chance that Stewards and Police at matches in the west of the country will be singing along with them.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar

Lol. Seriously,we should all print out copies of this and take them with us in March when The The BRangers come a callin.

J

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar

Scottish Police

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar

I would love this idiot to come to ibrox undercover and go and complain to the police in the stadium.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    read that article last night and laughed for a full 3 mins, i thought i was reading a preview of this years only an excuse hogmanay special, of course the first problem is how to get the polis and stewards to stop joining in with the home fans at bigotbrox

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I would love this idiot to come to ibrox undercover and go and complain to the police in the stadium.
    He'd get lifted for complaining.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    When I seen the thread title I must admit I thought the Glasgow police force were going to tell us all how to do it, god knows they stand and listen to it enough so they should know the words by now.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar
    Is this before or after the officer tells you to shut up or you'll be lifted?