hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Longest stretch you've gone without attending a game in person?

As the cruel realisation hits that it's been more than a year since I last watched Hibs in person (my attendance inspired us to our 1st 4 goal victory over The Hun in 50 odd years back on 27th Dec 2013), I was wondering what's your longest stretch - for whatever reason - without watching Hibs in person??

I kid myself on that distance means I care less, and yes, not being Edinburgh based does mean that the aftermath of a defeat is less acute than it once was, but when I do get to see Hibs on the box, I get as involved as I ever would in person.

Malonga's last minute winner a couple of weeks ago on the SSN ticker drew a bonkers reaction as if I'd been in the East Stand myself.

I know we have posters all over the world, from way further away than ZH. What's being a far flung ex-pat Hibbie like for you??

2. Log in to remove the advert

Two week holidays is about as long as I've gone. Close season excluded of course. Just can't stay away!

2-2 draw with Dundee United in 2010 was the last game I attended. I was back last year but that was in June so no games. Thank goodness for Hibs TV........

I was 15 the first time I went to ER so I guess my answer is 15 years.

Testimonial Due
    Saturday was first game since Dumbarton at home.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    I'm in the middle of my longest stretch.

My last game was Raith Rovers away 28th March 2015.

Might try and get up for the next Rangers home game in March.

Either that or bring the boy up for a random game before the end of the season.

J

Probably the two and a half months between the old season ending and the new one beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by Trig View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Probably the two and a half months between the old season ending and the new one beginning.
    You don't go to pre-season friendlies? Part timer.

9 months while I was in Alaska

Left by mutual consent!
    Find this a really sad thread and frankly something that anyone shouldn't be proud of - but hey ho.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glorious St Pat View Post
    Find this a really sad thread and frankly something that anyone shouldn't be proud of - but hey ho.
    I don`t think it is a thread to taken too seriously to be fair.

10 months, back in 1995 when I was off on a trip. Heard on world service Darren Jackson scoring against Aberdeen at ER while in Australia one very late night!

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    I missed all bar the first 2 games of the 98/99 season as I was in Oz. After seeing us lose 1-2 at home to Stranraer I was a bit less bothered about missing Hibs!
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

From 3rd Jan to 14th Feb every year - [spend the worst of our winters in sunny Spain. ][and yes I still buy my season ticket every year as I have done for past 57 years]

Eh?? I'm not "proud" of anything in particular, just that the ebbs and flows of life have taken me away from Edinburgh on a relatively long term basis, as has happened to many others.

Just wondering - for people whose passion for Hibs hasn't really abated - how long they've gone between "fixes".

If I was Edinburgh based, I'd be at near as damnit every game, as I was a few seasons ago.
    Last edited by lyonhibs; 13-01-2016 at 06:19 PM.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    This thread will be flooded with part timers, who will all want a ticket for Hampden should we beat St Johnstone.

And i will be one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    Eh?? I'm not "proud" of anything in particular, just that the ebbs and flows of life have taken we away from Edinburgh on a relatively long term basis, as has happened to many others.

Just wondering - for people whose passion for Hibs hasn't really abated - how long they've gone between "fixes".

If I was Edinburgh based, I'd be at near as damnit every game, as I was a few seasons ago.
    I didn't really understand his comments either to be honest......

Moved to Canada in '74 and was rarely in Scotland during footie season
    so 1987-2006 was a loooong Hibbyless spell, and before the 'net, and Setanta coverage, so only saw a few games on TV---usually with Sellick or Hun supporters

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    About 3 weeks
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

Close to twenty years, but that was because there was no-one to take me when I was a kid and I wasn't allowed as a teenager.

Next longest would be about fifteen years, a stretch that came to an end last year when I attended the 1-1 draw with Raith. I hadn't been enjoying the games and had other commitments and interests, so stopped going.

The uber-fans will be appalled to read that second paragraph.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    What's sad about it?
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Eh? You've lost me, plenty of reasons why folk have had to stop going for a period, what is sad about it?

@hibs.net private member malcolm's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Spent the first 3 months of 1990 in hospital and did not get back to ER until the next season. A pretty turbulent time for various reasons

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    What's sad about it?
    The post you are challenging Sean. I'm with you, Deary me. Need to fire up the ignore button again.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member TrinityHibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Auld Git View Post
    From 3rd Jan to 14th Feb every year - [spend the worst of our winters in sunny Spain. ][and yes I still buy my season ticket every year as I have done for past 57 years]
    You're only 56 according to your profile . That's a new thread who bought the earliest ST

I'm on mine. Was home briefly last new year but couldn't get a ticket to the derby and was unable to go to the Falkirk 4-4 game.

My last match was 12th August 2012, 1-1 draw with Hearts. Griffiths equalised for Hibs after Andy Driver scored following a bad error from Alan Maybury.

Took a load of folk to the game including 2 Germans I randomly met in the pub.

Hope to get back in May and catch a game or 2. Maybe even a big one that's not a playoff match

First Team Breakthrough
    6 year I was in the big Hoose
    always pack my own suitcase now

I lived in Guernsey from 1976 to 2000 then up in the Highlands for a couple of years so I was probably lucky if I attended one match per season during that time. Just depended if we had a match during the time I managed to get back to Edinburgh for a holiday.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    Close to twenty years, but that was because there was no-one to take me when I was a kid and I wasn't allowed as a teenager.

Next longest would be about fifteen years, a stretch that came to an end last year when I attended the 1-1 draw with Raith. I hadn't been enjoying the games and had other commitments and interests, so stopped going.

The uber-fans will be appalled to read that second paragraph.
    Great that you went back after such a break. Hopefully you will make it a bit more regularly in the future.

I have gone a few years without seeing a game, but I left Edinburgh 20 years ago and don't go back as often as I did. Always look to catch a game when I do though.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomoseven View Post
    Great that you went back after such a break. Hopefully you will make it a bit more regularly in the future.

I have gone a few years without seeing a game, but I left Edinburgh 20 years ago and don't go back as often as I did. Always look to catch a game when I do though.
    I don't think I'll ever manage to be a regular attender, let alone return to being a season ticket holder, but I've been to another three games since then and hope to make another couple before the season is over.

The question was asked on here last summer about what would make people go more often, and my response was "if I had more time".
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.