hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Death Trap

@hibs.net private member

Death Trap

The concourse at Raith is never big enough. If the whole end is full, like it was yesterday, it was like cattle getting herded at half time. How did they receive a safety certificate.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Spot on just needed one to trip and what? Saftey maybe when half full not sold out

@hibs.net private member Bayern Bru's Avatar
    I was down there just before half time to go to the bathroom and get coffees. I had to go back up into the stand because I was finding it hard to breathe in the crush. I'm well over 6ft and fairly substantial so god knows how kids and some of the elderly folk down there felt.

Another fan also started on me for 'pushing' him, right in the middle of the crush (cheers for that, whoever you were. A**e.)

But when I got home I emailed the club with a couple of photos, pointing out the dangers.

CEO replied and said they would look into it with the club's Safety Officer and get back to me.

Will keep folk posted on the reply I get.

First Team Breakthrough

Death Trap

Boy sitting beside me said a lassie took a panic attack at half time.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayern Bru View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was down there just before half time to go to the bathroom and get coffees. I had to go back up into the stand because I was finding it hard to breathe in the crush. I'm well over 6ft and fairly substantial so god knows how kids and some of the elderly folk down there felt.

Another fan also started on me for 'pushing' him, right in the middle of the crush (cheers for that, whoever you were. A**e.)

But when I got home I emailed the club with a couple of photos, pointing out the dangers.

CEO replied and said they would look into it with the club's Safety Officer and get back to me.

Bathroom? quick shower b4 start of second.

Fair play that you got a speedy reply.

Reply will be the usual s***e

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    were the queues for the snack kiosks just as horrendous as they were at the League game, probably worse i would imagine

I didn't go down at half time so can't comment on that.

However I do think it's a design flaw to have the food kiosks directly opposite the turnstiles as you enter. You have a steady flow of people coming in one way, walking straight into a big group queuing for food. I was in about 5 past 2 yesterday and it was already a bit crowded in that area so imagine it would be worse closer to kick off.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

First Team Breakthrough
    Went down for pies after 30 mins.....no probs lol

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I didn't go down at half time so can't comment on that.

However I do think it's a design flaw to have the food kiosks directly opposite the turnstiles as you enter. You have a steady flow of people coming in one way, walking straight into a big group queuing for food. I was in about 5 past 2 yesterday and it was already a bit crowded in that area so imagine it would be worse closer to kick off.
    Lets say hypothetically they get promoted in the next few years. They should be refused on safety issues.

But as usual, nothing will happen till someone is seriously injured/killed.

We should take you lot in a tardis and go back about 35 years.

Different times I suppose. Different clientele.

@hibs.net private member Jack Hackett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tory Hibby View Post

Ha!...You just brought to mind how the teams and the fans changed ends at half-time back then.

@hibs.net private member Ringothedog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayern Bru View Post

If that was just outside the bogs then I saw it. The guy was being a pr!ck

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar

The thing is, you expect modern stands that were replacing open terracing to not have any similar safety issues. Otherwise, what was the point?

Coaching Staff
    I am assuming that we are talking about the stand behind the goal, if so I've been in it a number of times and have never felt in any danger at all. A lot depends on people behaviour, reading between the lines seems to have been a bit of shoving and pushing going on which may have been a contributory factor.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Interestingly the announcer issued a safety warning just prior to half time asking fans to be careful in the concourse area. He stated the weather as being an issue tho.
    Last edited by greenlex; 10-01-2016 at 05:21 PM.

@hibs.net private member Ringothedog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    I am assuming that we are talking about the stand behind the goal, if so I've been in it a number of times and have never felt in any danger at all. A lot depends on people behaviour, reading between the lines seems to have been a bit of shoving and pushing going on which may have been a contributory factor.
    The problem was that the queue for the men's and ladies was merging into the kiosk queue which was beside the exit for people going for a cigarette. Anybody in the concourse could hardly move. Add in pushing, shoving and drink and I am surprised there wasn't bother

@hibs.net private member Kojock's Avatar
    To say it was a death trap is way OTT. Yes there were a lot of people in the concourse at one time. Problem was there were folk trying to enter the concourse, folk trying to exit the concourse, folk trying to get to the food kiosks, folk coming back from the kiosks, guys going to the toilet, guys coming out the toilet, ladies going to the toilet, ladies coming out the toilet, folk going outside for a smoke and folk coming back in from having a smoke all within a confined area causing all queues to merge. If people had showed a wee bit patience instead of acting like numpties there would have been no problems.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    Was the stand full to capacity? Guess not. Yes behind goals.

Quote Originally Posted by alnewhaven View Post
    Boy sitting beside me said a lassie took a panic attack at half time.
    Leanne ?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by gorgiegreens View Post
    Was the stand full to capacity? Guess not. Yes behind goals.
    The stand behind the goals looked pretty full from where I was sitting.

@hibs.net private member Bayern Bru's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kojock View Post
    To say it was a death trap is way OTT. Yes there were a lot of people in the concourse at one time. Problem was there were folk trying to enter the concourse, folk trying to exit the concourse, folk trying to get to the food kiosks, folk coming back from the kiosks, guys going to the toilet, guys coming out the toilet, ladies going to the toilet, ladies coming out the toilet, folk going outside for a smoke and folk coming back in from having a smoke all within a confined area causing all queues to merge. If people had showed a wee bit patience instead of acting like numpties there would have been no problems.
    I can see where you're coming from but I don't like to think about what would have happened if someone had lost their balance and fallen.

Also, the McDermid Stand holds 3,300 and there were 3,500+ Hibs fans at the game. So the stand behind the goal was almost certainly full.
    Last edited by Bayern Bru; 10-01-2016 at 05:26 PM.

Kind of makes you appreciate what we have at Easter Road more. Tried to go for a hot drink for me an the boy right on h/t yesterday - gave up because couldn't get anywhere near a kiosk let alone join a queue.

It was slippery underfoot, but when got down the stairs it was gridlocked. People started getting impatient when the pushing started.....Uncomfortable but not life threatening
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    If more people went for a pee and back to their seats rather than hanging about fumigating the bogs as they can't go 90mins without a fag it would ease things considerably. Make it easier to breathe in the *****house at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    If more people went for a pee and back to their seats rather than hanging about fumigating the bogs as they can't go 90mins without a fag it would ease things considerably. Make it easier to breathe in the *****house at the same time.
    You can smoke outside at RRFC, maybe too cold to go outside
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kojock View Post
    It didn't help that with the gents people were coming out the in door and going in the out door. This caused mayhem.

Left by mutual consent!
    Usually with full houses you always get the ********s who think to hell with the ticket numbers and just sit where they want

That really rips ma knitting

It was very slippery in the concourse, a few people slipped and hurt themselves, fortunately not badly! Would hate to see it if the wet surfaces turned icey

First Team Breakthrough Stoney Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oconnors_strip View Post
    It was very slippery in the concourse, a few people slipped and hurt themselves, fortunately not badly! Would hate to see it if the wet surfaces turned icey
    The concourses were extremely slippy and am not surprised there were people falling over, however my personal highlight was arriving at my seat to find there was a massive puddle on the floor, it was like a little river, I was in YY so no idea where it came from?