hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Dundee Utd and the horrible state of Scottish football

Never quite realised until today that Dundee Utd look like the latest bigger club to be about to lose their "established" place in the top tier of Scottish football.

Is there no end to this fiasco?

What he could have potentially next season is clubs who fail to muster 2,000 on a regular basis and never likely to muster more and have Rangers, Hibs and Dundee Utd languashing in the Championship?

Some of you might cheer Dundee Utd being relegated but enough is enough.

Give me a top league of Celtic, Rangers, Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen, Dundee Utd and Dundee anytime over the dross that is currently "entertaining" us with sub 2,000 crowds.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Dundee United, Rangers, Hearts and Hibernian all deserve/deserved to be relegated, only themselves to blame.

@hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar
    I am bitter and petty and won't mourn the relegation of a club that gleefully relegated us and had a wee Hearts loving 5-1 party at ER when rat boy Rudi signed for them. I do love Mixu though.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dundee United, Rangers, Hearts and Hibernian all deserve/deserved to be relegated, only themselves to blame.
    Rangers were not relegated.

The powers that be will need to look at this as its just silly to lose big clubs to clubs who will never be big.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by SkintHibby View Post
    Never quite realised until today that Dundee Utd look like the latest bigger club to be about to lose their "established" place in the top tier of Scottish football.

What he could have potentially next season is clubs who fail to muster 2,000 on a regular basis and never likely to muster more and have Rangers, Hibs and Dundee Utd languashing in the Championship?

Give me a top league of Celtic, Rangers, Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen, Dundee Utd and Dundee anytime over the dross that is currently "entertaining" us with sub 2,000 crowds.

You have to earn your place on the pitch. Big teams sometimes don't do well. That's the way it goes. This year they are likely to be replaced by a bigger team.

I'm old school and a football match without crowds is not a football match and by god that applies to Scottish football just now!

I'm not sure what you want to be done about a team becoming pish though.

Dundee Utd are bottom because they deserve to be bottom, they have 18 fewer points than we had two years ago when we were relegated. They even have 3 fewer points than Hearts had at that stage that season and they were bottom at that stage.

I think that speaks volumes about how bad they actually are right now.

Coaching Staff
    I'm old school and a football match without crowds is not a football match and by god that applies to Scottish football just now!
    Your right in everything you say, unfortunately I only see the Dun Utd situation as the latest evidence of the slow but steady decline of Scottish football. How do you stop it, don't know, could well be that the game is at a tipping point of no return. Sincerely hope not.

Its hardly the smaller teams problem if bigger clubs get relegated (not including The Rangers).

They've overachieved for about a decade, so it's only fair that they're relegated to even things up!

Hopefully they'll be relegated again next season into division 2

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    A larger league could mitigate it, although you will still get instances of a bigger club doing badly every now and then.

@hibs.net private member eastterrace's Avatar
    They relegated us back in 98 and beat us in the semi final 2-1 when Scotland and McIntyre scored so good ridence

Soon clubs will be wanting relegated to the Champ - bigger clubs, better games, genuine competition

It doesn't matter if you have 5 fans or 50 thousand. If you're not good enough to stay in a division you deserve to go down. Hearts and Rangers cheated, they deserved their punishment. We were diabolical and hired a donkey as a manager, we deserved to go down. Also I don't think Dundee United recent collapse is any evidence of Scottish Footballs decline but the utter mismanagement and recklessness of allowing Jackie Mac the outrageous bonuses for selling players.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    How old school are you and when in that schooling did Dundee United become a big club?

Quote Originally Posted by eastterrace View Post
    They relegated us back in 98 and beat us in the semi final 2-1 when Scotland and McIntyre scored so good ridence
    We were relegated by not getting enough points,not by Dundee United

The smaller clubs can out perform brighter clubs because they don't run expensive youth academies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bod View Post
    We were relegated by not getting enough points,not by Dundee United
    Yes we were cos if we'd beaten them we wouldn't have been relegated that day.

Testimonial Due NadeAteMyLunch!'s Avatar
    Lets just all enjoy Ryan McGowan captaining the worst DUFC side in decades

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: torto7062
    This should be a massive wake up call to all Scottish clubs because UTD sold their pieces of treasure to Celtic and have struggled since....I bet their chairman is regretting it now...sometimes you have to look after your own clubs needs before making a shilling......
    Thankfully our club plays hardball now as they did with Smellic benchboy S.Allan.

Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    Yes we were cos if we'd beaten them we wouldn't have been relegated that day.
    You get relegated by your seasons results not by 1 game

@hibs.net private member
    I've always hated the small artificially created leagues dating from the late 70s. I think it is one of the main reasons for the deterioration in the quality and profile of our football and was ruthlessly exploited by the old firm to entrench their hold over Scottish football. It did not help the other big city clubs to challenge when the 1st priority was to avoid relegation. There was little space to develop youth and give them game time. The old youth conveyor belts of Hibs and other clubs dried up and we started buying journeymen from England to match our rivals.It was tough for relegated clubs like Dundee, Falkirk, Dunfermilne with decent crowds to get back up. In a 16 or 18 club premiership we had around 200 to 230 Scottish players playing at the top level regularly. If a club blooded young players and did well the bigger clubs could get a good idea if they would make it with them. It gave the Scotland manager a huge pool of talent to choose from. Many good young players went to England creating more space for youngsters and giving the Scotland manager a massive pool of players to choose from. How many scots players are playing in the Scottish Premiership now regularly. Say 12 teams with 8 - 12 scots each. That is being generous to some clubs. The pool of talent is halved at least in a smaller league apart from all the knock on effects over a number of seasons. So instead of having a pool of scots over a 10'year period of some 2,000 to 3,000 we have around 1000-1200. Some 1000-2000 lost opportunities for our scots youth. No wonder Strachan wanted Hibs and the Huns up last season
    it will be another massive self defeating exercise if we do not expand the league and instead get caught up in keeping the leagues small for no helpful,reason or because we want sevco or united to suffer.
    its been well,argued before that playing each other twice will narrow the points gap with sevco and Celtic. I think that proportionately the old firm are likely to lose more points to other clubs if theynolymplay them twice a,season than four times.
    i know that the purists don't want any splits in a 16 team league but I'd accept a Belgian/ Danish model to get the bigger league.Sure ICT, Ross County, Hamilton, St Johnstone have done very well with the resources they have but they are never going to attract big crowds. Let's go back to bigger leagues as, I think that will,also help these clubs to be long term members of the premiership.

Quote Originally Posted by Torto7062 View Post
    This should be a massive wake up call to all Scottish clubs because UTD sold their pieces of treasure to Celtic and have struggled since....I bet their chairman is regretting it now...sometimes you have to look after your own clubs needs before making a shilling......
    Thankfully our club plays hardball now as they did with Smellic benchboy S.Allan.
    No club the size of DUFC should be 2 players away from relegation from the Prem. General mismanagement is at the root of their problems.

Dun Utd are where they are because they couldn't wait to grab the old firm cash, ring any bells!!! I say that not just because of Brown Thomson Whittaker etc but mainly because of Petrie selling Stokes, from that moment Yogi didn't have a chance and neither did we, thats why we went down and we have been in trouble ever since.

Dundee utd have been massively overachieving for the last 35 years.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
    Dundee utd have been massively overachieving for the last 35 years.
    I have never understood the word "overachieving". In the early to mid 80's, they were one of the best teams in Europe.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    Dun Utd are where they are because they couldn't wait to grab the old firm cash, ring any bells!!! I say that not just because of Brown Thomson Whittaker etc but mainly because of Petrie selling Stokes, from that moment Yogi didn't have a chance and neither did we, thats why we went down and we have been in trouble ever since.
    Selling Stokes was a good move.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

I've struggled to pay any attention to the SPL since we went down, and only really watched our own games when we were there since Rangers were demoted, let's face it, it's boring without any sort of title race from a neutral point of view, you'd be a fool to doubt that.

It will become a lot more attractive when ourselves and Rangers go up - it would help if another big club like Dundee United could escape play-off danger, also, which is admittedly unlikely - which I am confident will happen this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Selling Stokes was a good move.
    Stokes is the highest scorer per games than anyone I can think off in the past twp decades, he and Riordan were putting away over 40 goals a season between them. My point is that when they sold him things went from bad to worse.p, and culminated in relegation.