hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Libby Hibby's Avatar

Home Form - lack of Goals

First of all great three points today and good to bounce back after the Rangers game but I feel we need to start being a bit more ruthless, show a bit more urgency and score a few more goals, certainly at home.

Granted it's difficult when teams come to ER and play anti football but in the last 3 home games we have only scored 1 in each of these games, I still feel we are quite pedestrian at times and if we are not careful, we may drop points at home if we don't put more goals passed teams as some team will take a chance against us.

Please for the points today but we do need to start going for the jugular in games earlier.

Just my observations of course.

GGTTH

2. Log in to remove the advert

Tend to agree. The goals from midfield particularly have dried up recently and I think this needs to be addressed.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Libby Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    First of all great three points today and good to bounce back after the Rangers game but I feel we need to start being a bit more ruthless, show a bit more urgency and score a few more goals, certainly at home.

Granted it's difficult when teams come to ER and play anti football but in the last 3 home games we have only scored 1 in each of these games, I still feel we are quite pedestrian at times and if we are not careful, we may drop points at home if we don't put more goals passed teams as some team will take a chance against us.

Please for the points today but we do need to start going for the jugular in games earlier.

Just my observations of course.

GGTTH
    Correct. Time for the team to make things happen rather than waiting on something to happen.

Testimonial Due Booked4Being-Ugly's Avatar
    Teams are coming to ER and digging in, looking to slow the pace down and waste as much time as possible.

We need to work on trying to break these teams down and being more inventive around the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Booked4Being-Ugly View Post
    Teams are coming to ER and digging in, looking to slow the pace down and waste as much time as possible.

We need to work on trying to break these teams down and being more inventive around the box.
    We are breaking them down. We win most of them.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    As long as at the final whistle we've scored more than the other team then job done. Whether 1-0, 10-0 or 26-25 then that's what counts.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    We are breaking them down. We win most of them.
    The draw with Falkirk and the last min goal v QOS proves we are finding it very difficult. I think we well once we are done in this window start winning more comfortable like The Huns today and Falkirk seem to do.

Today's performance showed both our strengths and weaknesses. We dominated the game with some lovely inter-passing, and Oxley had very little to do, but made few chances and the only goal came from a penalty conceded in a move which looked no more likely than others to bring a goal. The same problems have been apparent all season. The midfield lacks width and don't score goals. They don't score goals because they don't get into scoring positions often enought. I specifically watched the Raith penalty area when the ball was played into it and hardly ever saw any of our midfield there. When Cummings and Malonga weren't left on their own it was as likely to be one of the back four helping. The midfield are good players individually, but the blend just isn't quite right and that's why The Rangers will probably win the division.

Quote Originally Posted by ballengeich View Post
    Today's performance showed both our strengths and weaknesses. We dominated the game with some lovely inter-passing, and Oxley had very little to do, but made few chances and the only goal came from a penalty conceded in a move which looked no more likely than others to bring a goal. The same problems have been apparent all season. The midfield lacks width and don't score goals. They don't score goals because they don't get into scoring positions often enought. I specifically watched the Raith penalty area when the ball was played into it and hardly ever saw any of our midfield there. When Cummings and Malonga weren't left on their own it was as likely to be one of the back four helping. The midfield are good players individually, but the blend just isn't quite right and that's why The Rangers will probably win the division.
    One loss in twenty or so - sorry but I think that last sentence is defeatist. It's a very close call IMO

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

I would like to see Anier given more of a game as he provides something different up front. He's a bit more direct and can use his size and weight to good effect when we're trying to break down a 10 man defence.

And what's happened to Carmichael?

It's good to get a win immediately but we really do have to start putting teams away more efficiently.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    We don't move the ball quickly enough. It's not lack of goals that's bothering me. It's the ponderous style we seem to have adopted of late. When we did today and at times the one touch stuff was terrific but it's all to brief and all too sporadic. There seems to be a lack of urgency .

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    One loss in twenty or so - sorry but I think that last sentence is defeatist. It's a very close call IMO
    I agree it's a close call, but I suspect that there will be games like today where we'll dominate, but drop points in a 0-0 or 1-1 draw and that these games will eventually decide the title. I don't think that our play and formation have to alter much to make the difference so I see my post as a call for an adjustment rather than defeatism.

Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    The draw with Falkirk and the last min goal v QOS proves we are finding it very difficult. I think we well once we are done in this window start winning more comfortable like The Huns today and Falkirk seem to do.
    We had 10 men against Falkirk for over half the game, why is that never mentioned when using that game as an example? We were absolutely all over them before it.

@hibs.net private member
    [QUOTE=banchoryhibs;4536036]I would like to see Anier given more of a game as he provides something different up front. He's a bit more direct and can use his size and weight to good effect when we're trying to break down a 10 man defence.

He had an op on his groin 3weeks go and needs 6 weeks more for recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by banchoryhibs View Post
    I would like to see Anier given more of a game as he provides something different up front. He's a bit more direct and can use his size and weight to good effect when we're trying to break down a 10 man defence.

It's good to get a win immediately but we really do have to start putting teams away more efficiently.
    carmichael back running in training but Stubbs saying about six weeks away from being able to be considered for first team and that will be assuming no set back .
    so he may be able to play his way into team for the run in or be option from the bench .

But given how important he was for Queen of the South last season injuries have meant he hasn't had opportunity to show what he can do

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by banchoryhibs View Post

A few guys were saying today that Anier is going back to Dundee Utd . Been recalled by Mixu seemingly .
    Pity if true as the little action he has played ,he has looked the part .
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by erin go bragh View Post
    A few guys were saying today that Anier is going back to Dundee Utd . Been recalled by Mixu seemingly .
    They spoke about this during the hibs tv commentary today. I didn't catch all that was said, but under the terms of the agreement Utd. can't recall him unilaterally so it looks like he's staying.

Quote Originally Posted by erin go bragh View Post
    I would have thought he would have went back there as soon as the window reopened.Seems strange that he was on the bench today as there could have been a risk he got injured.

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Peevemor;4536126]They spoke about this during the hibs tv commentary today. I didn't catch all that was said, but under the terms of the agreement Utd. can't recall him unilaterally so it looks like he's staying.[/QUOTE

Good news if thats true
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    We had 10 men against Falkirk for over half the game, why is that never mentioned when using that game as an example? We were absolutely all over them before it.
    I had actually forgot that. We defo had more of the ball against them before the sending off can't remember any chances though? Not saying there wasn't but I just remember a lot of ball holding.

Three points.

End of.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Famous Fiver View Post
    Three points.

End of.
    It's not the end of it though.

Nobody is denying it's great to get the three points but as long as it's as tight as that there's a danger we'll drop points.

If we're going to win this league we need to be scoring more goals and be less reliant on Cummings imo

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    It's not the end of it though.

Nobody is denying it's great to get the three points but as long as it's as tight as that there's a danger we'll drop points.

If we're going to win this league we need to be scoring more goals and be less reliant on Cummings imo
    As long as there's a goal in it to Hibs favour we won't.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    They spoke about this during the hibs tv commentary today. I didn't catch all that was said, but under the terms of the agreement Utd. can't recall him unilaterally so it looks like he's staying.
    They were saying that the loan is until the end of the season but that there was a clause which would allow Hibs to ship him back if it hadn't been working out. Cliff was fairly clear in his belief that DU have no right to bring him back without our agreement.

It isn't really a tactics thing IMO. We attack pretty well honestly but our players aren't clinical. Keatings and Boyle both missed easy chances against Queens, McGeough missed one today. If those go in we win both games comfortable and this thread doesn't exist. Our players need to finish the chance when we create them.

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    As long as there's a goal in it to Hibs favour we won't.
    Like it did against st mirren, Falkirk and very nearly did against qots?

As I said it was great to get the three points today but looking beyond the result imo we've got problems in that team as we're not scoring enough goals. We got away with it today and we're good enough defensively to get away with it most weeks but if we don't learn to score more goals we won't win this league imo

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    It isn't really a tactics thing IMO. We attack pretty well honestly but our players aren't clinical. Keatings and Boyle both missed easy chances against Queens, McGeough missed one today. If those go in we win both games comfortable and this thread doesn't exist. Our players need to finish the chance when we create them.
    Spot on.

We had enough chances to win by 3 goals or more today. It's nothing to do with tactics that we didn't take those chances.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Spot on.

We had enough chances to win by 3 goals or more today. It's nothing to do with tactics that we didn't take those chances.
    We've been saying that since the start of last season though and while I don't necessarily disagree with you our lack of goals still concerns me.

Quote Originally Posted by Booked4Being-Ugly View Post

More tactical flexibility? Need someone experienced in the middle to orchestrate that.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    We've been saying that since the start of last season though and while I don't necessarily disagree with you our lack of goals still concerns me.
    I'd like to see us score more, goes without saying. However numerous times this season we have won by 1 goal or got a result without hitting top gear. That wasn't always the case last season.

I accept going forward we may have to be more clinical or we may drop daft points but as it is since the St Mirren game at ER it hasn't really cost us this season.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years