hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Coaching Staff

Leeds ban Sky TV

Leeds have banned Sky TV claiming their games have been move too often to accommodate Sky, with a subsequent loss of attendance. Long time since anyone challenged Sky.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Guess they won't want their £s then! Good luck Leeds!

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    I think Sky get a hard time for the football coverage. They have been the main driver in a huge jump in quality in English football since they got involved. As much as people complain about tv games being moved, I have to say I love a Monday night game, 'Super Sunday' is generally really good and Soccer Saturday has become part of a Saturday routine when Hibs are away.

On the odd occasions where I can't get to a home game, I'm delighted if it's on TV, or if I'm able to see footage either online or on a highlights show. I'd much rather that, than miss it altogether.

It is a pain when games are moved, but we've had plenty of time to get used to it. Surely nobody in this day and age thinks that 3pm on a Saturday is what it once was?

Fair play to Leeds for standing up for their fans, but they're biting the hand that feeds them, and at some point they'd have been involved to some degree in welcoming Sky on board. There surely must be a better way for them to make their point?
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Leeds have banned Sky TV claiming their games have been move too often to accommodate Sky, with a subsequent loss of attendance. Long time since anyone challenged Sky.
    It's not Sky that they're challenging, it's the League. Apparently Leeds want to push their agenda on individual clubs negotiating TV deals so it all seems a bit cynical.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Wow, that's out of the blue.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Great, all we need is all the other channels to ban Leeds in protest and I will never have to hear from Steve Evans again.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    damn, was looking forward to tonights game :( p*** off cellino

I've some sympathy with Leeds here given how often their matches have been picked. At least they do get a fee for being the home team, which doesn't happen in Scotland.

It's not that long ago that Hibs refused to allow a game to be shown because we'd already been on TV too often, and as fans we're quick to complain when a game (even an away one) is moved to suit the broadcasters.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    It's a shame Leeds' owner is a complete mentalist, otherwise this would be taken more seriously.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    I've some sympathy with Leeds here given how often their matches have been picked. At least they do get a fee for being the home team, which doesn't happen in Scotland.

It's not that long ago that Hibs refused to allow a game to be shown because we'd already been on TV too often, and as fans we're quick to complain when a game (even an away one) is moved to suit the broadcasters.
    The difference was that Hibs had already had their allocated number of games, the one that was blocked was because it was over and above the quota.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    The difference was that Hibs had already had their allocated number of games, the one that was blocked was because it was over and above the quota.
    I think we'd been shown seven times in total that year, whilst Leeds have apparently been shown nine times already and it's only midseason.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Our TV deal is a disgrace considering how many viewers we provide. More people watch Scottish football than rugby league but we only get a fraction of the money they get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    I think we'd been shown seven times in total that year, whilst Leeds have apparently been shown nine times already and it's only midseason.
    I don't know the terms of the English agreement, but it's set out at the start of the season in Scotland how many times a club will be on TV, and Hibs had fulfilled their obligation.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Our TV deal is a disgrace considering how many viewers we provide. More people watch Scottish football than rugby league but we only get a fraction of the money they get.

It's just what the market dictates, you can't blame TV providers for paying the lowest amount that they can for the rights - any industry works the same. You buy for as little as you can.

If there was a bigger demand for Scottish Football and therefore more competition for the rights, then they could sell the rights for more money. Unfortunately that competition doesn't exist, whereas for Rugby League, it does.

@hibs.net private member

Have you got the stats that back this up? Not sure many viewers tune in unless it's the Old Firm involved.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    Have you got the stats that back this up? Not sure many viewers tune in unless it's the Old Firm involved.
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/f...otball-5271308

It's just what the market dictates, you can't blame TV providers for paying the lowest amount that they can for the rights - any industry works the same. You buy for as little as you can.

If there was a bigger demand for Scottish Football and therefore more competition for the rights, then they could sell the rights for more money. Unfortunately that competition doesn't exist, whereas for Rugby League, it does.
    It's not just what the market dictates. The quality of the negotiating team comes into it as well. We have Neil Doncaster. A man who could not find a sponsor for two years.

Nothing to do with how many people tune in. SKY are after subscriptions not viewers.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    It's not just what the market dictates. The quality of the negotiating team comes into it as well. We have Neil Doncaster. A man who could not find a sponsor for two years.

I think you'll find that's "the invisible hand of the market" - showing 2 fingers... ;)
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

It's a buyer's market though. If you need to sell your car and there's one gadgie that wants it and offers you a grand, your choice is to either take the grand or not sell it. That's more or less where Scottish football is at the moment, and because there appears to be no real appetite to change the set up (be that a bigger league, summer football, or whatever) with too many teams too interested in self-interest, then it will always be that way.

Trust me, the EPL is by far and away the biggest draw for Sky, they make loads on it. They don't get anywhere close to that return on Scottish football - nowhere near it. In fact, there's more Scottish viewers watching English football than there are watching Scottish football. The SPFL is not even the main reason for buying Sky Sports in Scotland!

Of course it's what the market dictates. There is literally no benefit in Sky or BT or anyone else throwing more money than they need to in order to secure the rights to the games. Remember that both BT and Sky know exactly how much revenue they get on the back of that investment. No matter how good the negotiator, if that margin isn't right for Sky or BT or whoever, they'd just leave it. The SPFL is almost a completely insignificant part of their sports scheduling. The viewing figures for a game like St Johnstone v Hamilton is about two men and their dugs. You get a bit more for Hibs v Hearts, and the Old Firm derby is the big draw for them, the only game that gets remotely close to the viewing figures of the EPL games - even the shan ones.

To put it into perspective, in Sky's top 70 viewed matches last season, there was only one that was from outside the EPL, which was the Champions League Final. Why on earth would they plow money into Scottish Football?

@hibs.net private member
    They have lifted the ban now according to the BBC

It's a buyer's market though. If you need to sell your car and there's one gadgie that wants it and offers you a grand, your choice is to either take the grand or not sell it. That's more or less where Scottish football is at the moment, and because there appears to be no real appetite to change the set up (be that a bigger league, summer football, or whatever) with too many teams too interested in self-interest, then it will always be that way.

Trust me, the EPL is by far and away the biggest draw for Sky, they make loads on it. They don't get anywhere close to that return on Scottish football - nowhere near it. In fact, there's more Scottish viewers watching English football than there are watching Scottish football. The SPFL is not even the main reason for buying Sky Sports in Scotland!

Of course it's what the market dictates. There is literally no benefit in Sky or BT or anyone else throwing more money than they need to in order to secure the rights to the games. Remember that both BT and Sky know exactly how much revenue they get on the back of that investment. No matter how good the negotiator, if that margin isn't right for Sky or BT or whoever, they'd just leave it. The SPFL is almost a completely insignificant part of their sports scheduling. The viewing figures for a game like St Johnstone v Hamilton is about two men and their dugs. You get a bit more for Hibs v Hearts, and the Old Firm derby is the big draw for them, the only game that gets remotely close to the viewing figures of the EPL games - even the shan ones.

To put it into perspective, in Sky's top 70 viewed matches last season, there was only one that was from outside the EPL, which was the Champions League Final. Why on earth would they plow money into Scottish Football?

Nail on head

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    It is a shame because their new Manager is made for TV and a real engaging sort. .

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NORTHERNHIBBY View Post
    It is a shame because their new Manager is made for TV and a real engaging sort. .

United we stand here....

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

They have lifted the ban now according to the BBC
    Well, they definitely put Sky in their place there, then!

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar

The same reason they ploughed it into English football? To make it better and therefore more attractive to potential subscribers.

Imo it's in sky's interests for Scottish football to be ***** as it'll drive more and more youngsters to the English Premiership. It's not even the money they put in, it's how badly they promote our game that annoys me.

That said I still subscribe to it so I realise I'm a hypocrite.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    Great, all we need is all the other channels to ban Leeds in protest and I will never have to hear from Steve Evans again.
    We can but hope

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    marching on together

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    The same reason they ploughed it into English football? To make it better and therefore more attractive to potential subscribers.

Imo it's in sky's interests for Scottish football to be ***** as it'll drive more and more youngsters to the English Premiership. It's not even the money they put in, it's how badly they promote our game that annoys me.

That said I still subscribe to it so I realise I'm a hypocrite.
    Exactly this. SKY didn't invest in England because it was the best, biggest , most exciting league in the world. Their over-investment has convinced people that it is a must see and that English teams have rhe best players in the universe. Well I watched Man U play Chelsea last night on BT Sports and I would have been sick if I'd paid £75 for a ticket or however much it is a month to subscribe to SKY Sports. That was a lie as I turned the tv over after 35 minutes.

Scottish football should say **** SKY, play at 3:00 pm on a Saturday and let anyone who wants to watch come along.

They are happy to take there fair share of live games but there issue is due to them having to move more of there games than anyone else for TV.

And when a game is moved for TV, it often has a knock on effect that means the following game sometimes needs moved, which makes booking travel, etc a nightmare