hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Sectarian abuse

Sectarian abuse

Absolutely not bitter. They deserved the win and fair play to the players on the park that deserved it more.

But. At what point is something done about the countless songs from The Rangers fans' mouths shouting Fenians? Calling Alan Stubbs a Fenian b***ard? I've not censored the word Fenian but absolutely understand if the mods hide it.

I just think if we're told that this kind of behaviour is unacceptable then nothing is done, how can't we assume there's a bias here? I'm not asking for points deducted. I'm not personally asking for anything really. Just consistency amongst the people that are supposed to change Scottish football. They've done nothing. And that's disappointing.

Is there any way whatsoever we can change this?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    If they were using the word n***** then it would be a different story. Even p*** or ch***** or Muslim. But fenians, nope.

The Billy Boys was supposedly put on a banned list years ago and they stopped singing it when the club begged them to because UEFA were taking an interest. The whole ground was singing it during the game.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Graeme Spiers and Tom English tweeted about it but no doubt itll be swept under the carpet. Minority
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

Their so called songs of choice was a disgrace but cards on the table, id doubt people would even care if we got a positive result.

@hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar
    The only ones to take action has been UEFA. Police Scotland, The Rangers FC and SPFL seem to think it's acceptable because it's the done thing in their West coast cesspits.

Quote Originally Posted by Nutmegged View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Their so called songs of choice was a disgrace but cards on the table, id doubt people would even care if we got a positive result.
    I'm not sure about that. People have had enough.

Nothing will be done about it. Our own club will also be silent on the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coaching Staff The Green Goblin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutmegged View Post
    There were several angry posts about it after we beat them at ER. Springbank wrote a particularly good letter to various people (including the club) about it, but don't know if he got a reply or not.

It doesn't actually offend me per se, but I find it annoying that it is illegal and nothing is done about it week after week, year after year.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
    It doesn't actually offend me per se, but I find it annoying that it is illegal and nothing is done about it week after week, year after year.
    The more damning thing I saw on Twitter was the tweets from journos acknowledging the issue but refusing to comment on it. Derek Rae and Chris McLaughlin as an example.

BT sport apologised for someone shouting a swearing word during transmission but said nothing about the sectarian bile.

Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    Graeme Spiers and Tom English tweeted about it but no doubt itll be swept under the carpet. Minority
    They say its a minority but literally the whole ground was singing sectarian songs from before the game even started. They sang more sectarian songs than songs about rangers.

Testimonial Due Stokesy's on fire's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee92 View Post
    Absolutely not bitter. They deserved the win and fair play to the players on the park that deserved it more.

But. At what point is something done about the countless songs from The Rangers fans' mouths shouting Fenians? Calling Alan Stubbs a Fenian b***ard? I've not censored the word Fenian but absolutely understand if the mods hide it.

I just think if we're told that this kind of behaviour is unacceptable then nothing is done, how can't we assume there's a bias here? I'm not asking for points deducted. I'm not personally asking for anything really. Just consistency amongst the people that are supposed to change Scottish football. They've done nothing. And that's disappointing.

Is there any way whatsoever we can change this?

People need to put in official complaints to get something done

That song was banned and so it should be I do hope they get a massive fine for it

Quote Originally Posted by BadGrandpa View Post
    People need to put in official complaints to get something done

That song was banned and so it should be I do hope they get a massive fine for it
    A good start would be our own club making a statement on the issue.

@hibs.net private member Kojock's Avatar
    There were at least three songs / chants that contained the phrase Fenian B******. As already posted there were thousands singing it. I just find it sad that this sort of behaviour appears to be acceptable in this day and age. Scotland's shame.

Testimonial Due Stokesy's on fire's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    A good start would be our own club making a statement on the issue.

Correct Let's hope action is taken.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    The cop out is that the clubs unanimously voted that individual clubs could not be held responsible for the actions of their own fans which to me is totally shameless. For whatever reason the anti sectarian legislation appears not to have worked in that and I am guessing here the judiciary had the opinion it wasn't fit for purpose. What we now have is the vacuum as demonstrated yesterday the fans of the club with the most obvious sectarian issues now feel emboldened to do whatever they want. Back to square one. Shameful from all concerned, a modern society my erse.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    The cop out is that the clubs unanimously voted that individual clubs could not be held responsible for the actions of their own fans which to me is totally shameless. For whatever reason the anti sectarian legislation appears not to have worked in that and I am guessing here the judiciary had the opinion it wasn't fit for purpose. What we now have is the vacuum as demonstrated yesterday the fans of the club with the most obvious sectarian issues now feel emboldened to do whatever they want. Back to square one. Shameful from all concerned, a modern society my erse.
    Correct. Nothing will change unless fans start holding their own clubs to account.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    The only way to stop it is to dock points from the offending team. The fans would stop others from singing these songs if they thought their team would lose out. The government should be putting pressure on the sfa to make this happen.

United we stand here....

Blog Entries
    Somebody told me that BT turned the volume down during certain lines of songs. If this is true, it's evidence that they are aware of the issue. Is it worthwhile complaining to BT Sport? Imagine they had to inform the SPFL that they would have to stop live broadcasting of Sevco matches. Better still they might threaten to withdraw their contract altogether. That might make the blazers sit up and take action.

This article appeared in the Herald about a year ago. What I would like to know is, are Hibs in the 5% or the 95%?
    ----------

In the summer of 2013 Stewart Regan and Campbell Ogilvie, the chief executive and president respectively, told the SFA members that the time had come to copy Fifa and Uefa and introduce "strict liability" on discriminatory behaviour by supporters. In other words, if fans step out of line it is the clubs who pay the penalty, be it via fines, part-closure of grounds, docking of points, whatever. There would be no hiding behind "we did everything we could, it wasn't our fault". The issue was put to a vote at Hampden and the result said it all: only five per cent were in favour of it.

Regan bit his tongue, praised the quality of debate and said clubs did recognise there was a need to do more, but more tellingly he summed it up like this: "It's disappointing because Uefa do this [strict liability] and it works. If clubs are dealt with, and they behave inappropriately again and are dealt with again, there comes a point where fans are spoken to and behaviour improves. The Scottish FA's view is that it should be able to work on a domestic level. However, it was a leap too far for the members. Clubs would have been voting to punish themselves in the event of unacceptable behaviour. So you can see there's a bit of self-interest coming into play. No club wants to sign its own warrant for a sanction." When the SPFL was formed, that same summer, it adopted all of the same rules on "unacceptable conduct" and didn't want to know about strict liability. And so clubs can claim they are taking a stance without the risk of being held accountable.

The end result can be thousands of supporters inside Hampden singing "The Famine Song" and "No Pope of Rome" and a pathetic, watery response from the authorities, as if that is just what happens in 2015 Scotland. There is the Offensive Behaviour at Football Act, of course, but that is ill-conceived and impractical legislation unpopular with lawyers and the police, let alone supporters. There were only 12 arrests for sectarian behaviour at the Old Firm game. The police have said often enough that they will not wade into stands and start arresting dozens of fans for singing, let alone hundreds or thousands.

Earlier this season clubs in England received a letter from the Football Association informing them that "strict liability" was to be introduced there. The FA had been pressurised into that by MPs and campaigners appalled by some racist, homophobic and anti-semitic incidents. There is no evidence that the Scottish Government is inclined lean on the SFA and SPFL in the same way, or that campaigners here will be as successful.

That's a shame, because strict liability and zero tolerance would work. When Rangers or Celtic have been disciplined by Uefa they can't get statements out quickly enough to warn fans and condemn those who embarrass them. When there's an SPFL probe? Barely a word. The ironic thing is that after a stinging initial fine or two, which would force the penny to drop with fans, no club would benefit from a tougher line more than Rangers.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    It's all on the Ibrox loyal Facebook page so their support are admitting it and condoning it. I guess the SFA will say it's a minority and do nothing.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Police officer told me that he couldn't do anything about 50,000 rangers fans signing sectarian abuse however if i didn't take my seat i would be thrown out i then asked will it at least be in your police report in which he said course would love to see his police report doubt anything will be mentioned though
    Last edited by EH54; 29-12-2015 at 08:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    It's all on the Ibrox loyal Facebook page so their support are admitting it and condoning it. I guess the SFA will say it's a minority and do nothing.
    The SFA are the clubs. It's up to fans to lobby their individual clubs to change the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    Somebody told me that BT turned the volume down during certain lines of songs. If this is true, it's evidence that they are aware of the issue. Is it worthwhile complaining to BT Sport? Imagine they had to inform the SPFL that they would have to stop live broadcasting of Sevco matches. Better still they might threaten to withdraw their contract altogether. That might make the blazers sit up and take action.
    No it was all heard loud and clear.... The worrying thing is that during one particular billy boys they actually kept going on about how they were lifting the atmosphere and how good it was as the camera spanned round the stadium... Bearing in mind it was stuart mcall who obviously know exactly what they are signing. I do not get offended by the songs but as said above just because one guy in a race doesnt get offended doesnt mean you could be racist... What is the difference? Its time something was done and its also time aomething is done about where we are housed and how we are treated at ibrox. It pains me in this day and age that ive had to stop going to a football ground because i dont want to risk my boy geting hit by missiles (he has been on several occasions but we had a close call at the last game from a flyibg bottle)

Rangers are a club rotten to their very core. A truly vile, bigotted institution. The whole rangers support were heard yesterday belting out loud and proud how they were "up to their knees in fenian blood". But yet again we will be fed the same old pish about "just a minority". Minority my arse!

****bags the lot of them. Utter lowlifes of the highest order.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    The offensive lines were not sung by the entire Sevco support so they would have appeared muted as they did in the stadium. That so many of their fans chose not to sing those lines suggests there is hope that if the will was their then the fans themselves could police the sectarian lines out of existence.
    We did it so it can be done.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Is anyone really offended by words !? Which at the end of the day is what this really is. Sticks and stones and all that.

I'm from Irish decent and couldn't care two bits.

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    They openly condone it because they are so arrogant and know fine well nothing will be done about it.

The authorities in this country are an embarrasment. Constantly coming out with campaigns to kick sectarianism and bigotry out of the game yet continuously let these ****bags away with murder. If that was any other club outside of the Glasgow bigot brothers then they would be absolutely hammered. But no god forbid upsetting the old firm eh

The Rangers FC - Scotland's almighty shame

Quote Originally Posted by EdinMike View Post
    Is anyone really offended by words !? Which at the end of the day is what this really is. Sticks and stones and all that.

I'm from Irish decent and couldn't care two bits.
    I serve with black carribean guys.. Who probably have the most racist sense of humour towards themselves. Does that make it ok for me to then sing racist songs because they arnt offended? Its not about caring what they are signing its about standing up for the fact theres no place for it in modern football stadia or civilised society. It may only be a song to most of us but across our country its a pedal for hatred and violence