hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eric Schaedler

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    is part of the story missing

@hibs.net private member Biggie's Avatar
    Tragic story of a great hibs legend.....
    "I don't have any regrets about not moving during my playing career. I was born a Hibee, my dad was a Hibee, I will stay a Hibee and I'll die a Hibee." -Lawrie Reilly

Coaching Staff
    Fortunate to see him play in a great Hibs team, fabulous, courageous fullback.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fortunate to see him play in a great Hibs team, fabulous, courageous fullback.
    My second favourite Hibs player from that great side -formidable defender, great athlete - vital to the rest of the side. Lovely guy and a great Hibby as well.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    is part of the story missing

Yeah, it's like whoever was working on this had just started on the the bare outlines of the story, left it on their desk and someone's lifted it off their desk and put it into print without checking to see if it was finished or not !!

Quote Originally Posted by Deansy View Post
    Yeah, it's like whoever was working on this had just started on the the bare outlines of the story, left it on their desk and someone's lifted it off their desk and put it into print without checking to see if it was finished or not !!
    Will be Banderson, his ma probably shouted to him that it was his bed time so he had to put his crayons away.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    My second favourite Hibs player from that great side -formidable defender, great athlete - vital to the rest of the side. Lovely guy and a great Hibby as well.
    Just loved the guy. He never feared a trip to Ibrox or Parkhead.

I've seen hundreds of Hibs players over the years and Erich easily makes my top ten.
    This is how it feels

I was with him the day before he died and to this day cannot believe he took his own life
    A family friend who is still missed
    RIP

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Mr Schaedler said: “He wasn’t in debt and there was nothing untoward in his love life, as far as I know."

Brother saying nothing untoward, but wasn't the story at the time that he hadn't been able to get over an unwanted divorce or romantic split of some sort? Long time ago, so apologies if I'm misremembering/imagining that.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    Mr Schaedler said: “He wasn’t in debt and there was nothing untoward in his love life, as far as I know."

Brother saying nothing untoward, but wasn't the story at the time that he hadn't been able to get over an unwanted divorce or romantic split of some sort? Long time ago, so apologies if I'm misremembering/imagining that.
    That is part of the way I remember it.

Erich was a great guy, who only three or 4 months before signing for Hibs was playing amateur fitba for Melbourne Thistle under 21s.

He was the fittest player around, and his fitness and toughness compensated for a lack of finesse.

@hibs.net private member surreyhibbie's Avatar
    One of the best in a team full of greats.

Met him once, great character and a lovely guy.

RIP Eric
    Alcohol IS the answer, but I forget the question...

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jdships View Post
    I was with him the day before he died and to this day cannot believe he took his own life
    RIP
    I didn't know Erich at all, but he was everything I wanted in a Hibs player, brave and utterly committed.

As you grow old you hear of a few suicide's but his is still one that is, albeit at a distance, still incomprehensible to me.

I just never saw any quit in him.

A guy who got absolutely everything out the talent he had

RIP Erich, sadly missed.

As Jonnyboy says easily one of my top 10 Hibs players of the last 40 odd years also
    Last edited by BSEJVT; 29-12-2015 at 10:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BSEJVT View Post
    I didn't know Erich at all, but he was everything I wanted in a Hibs player, brave and utterly committed.

As you grow old you hear of a few suicide's but his is still one that is, albeit at a distance, still incomprehensible to me.

I just never saw any quit in him.

A guy who got absolutely everything out the talent he had

RIP Erich, sadly missed.

As Jonnyboy says easily one of my top 10 Hibs players of the last 40 odd years also
    Guy in my work was a good friend of Erics and absolutely does not accept he took his own life.

He always goes on about ES being as 'strong as an ox' and showed me a picture of him standing in his pub with one of they oversize whisky bottles some pubs collect coins for OAPs in, he's holding this bottle almost full with out stretched arm in one hand.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Guy in my work was a good friend of Erics and absolutely does not accept he took his own life.

He always goes on about ES being as 'strong as an ox' and showed me a picture of him standing in his pub with one of they oversize whisky bottles some pubs collect coins for OAPs in, he's holding this bottle almost full with out stretched arm in one hand.
    I don't know quite why but when I think of Erich's passing it always saddens me, even more than that of others whom I have actually known who have taken their lives.

I was a young boy when the Tornadoes were coming to prominence and maybe its the bit of feeling grown up going to the football with your dad and his mates or maybe its the fact that they were just absolutely brilliant.

Its all open to debate of course but from my perspective if I were picking my all time favourite Hibs team of players I have seen in the flesh it would have an awful lot of the Tornadoes in it.

Certainly

Brownlie
    Stanton
    Blackley
    Edwards
    O'Rourke
    Gordon
    Cropley
    Duncan

It would be a very close run thing between Erich & David Murphy but Erich was a particular hero of mine as I saw myself as a cross between him and Paddy Stanton (rather that's what I wanted be rather than was!)

We would definitely have had a different goalie, Goram, (despite the baggage) and Sauzee instead of Black.

Although Black was very underrated IMO and there are not that many others over the years I would have swapped him for.

Latapy could also count himself a bit unlucky to miss out!

Maybe Erich's passing was the end of that era and why it has that effect on me?

This thread has got me a bit nostalgic and reminds me how much I love Hibs, always have and always will.

GGTTH
    Last edited by BSEJVT; 29-12-2015 at 11:35 AM.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jdships View Post
    RIP
    My Dad says the same.

Quote Originally Posted by MB Crunch View Post
    My Dad says the same.
    Thank you
    I met Erich thro' Tam Preston and became good friends : he was always passing on bits and pieces of Hibs gear to my two children
    He visited our house , two days before his death, with his usual Christmas presents for my son and daughter then in their late teens
    Was in good fettle and appeared really happy and at ease !!

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheBull1875
    Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    That is part of the way I remember it.

Erich was a great guy, who only three or 4 months before signing for Hibs was playing amateur fitba for Melbourne Thistle under 21s.

He was the fittest player around, and his fitness and toughness compensated for a lack of finesse.
    You sure FF? I remember him playing for the Albion fir a fair while before signing fir us. These were the days when I was a Hibby without the bus fare.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucius Apuleius View Post
    You sure FF? I remember him playing for the Albion fir a fair while before signing fir us. These were the days when I was a Hibby without the bus fare.
    I think Willie Mcfarlane signed him from Stirling Albion?

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheBull1875
    That's what I recall GB. Spent a fair bit of time at Annfield and Shades was always one of my favourites. His move galvanised me into getting enough money to get to ER.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius Apuleius View Post
    That's what I recall GB. Spent a fair bit of time at Annfield and Shades was always one of my favourites. His move galvanised me into getting enough money to get to ER.
    Erich signed from Stirling Albion in 1969.

Sir Matt Busby

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    I've seen hundreds of Hibs players over the years and Erich easily makes my top ten.

Could not agree more ,what a player to have in your team,sadly missed.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by hhibs View Post
    Could not agree more ,what a player to have in your team,sadly missed.
    Great player fantastic drive and spirit sadly missed.RIP.

@hibs.net private member
    If I remember correctly Erich started his career with Tweeddale Rovers in Peebles. I am not sure if he then played for Peebles Rovers, I can just remember my dad saying that Rovers had missed out on a cut of any future transfer fee when a fee was paid for him, either by Stirling Albion or Hibs. It's all a bit hazy now but I remember him well from his days in Peebles.

The kind of player who could lift the crowd with a crunching tackle and could near enough reach the far post with a throw in as I recall.

I worked for the DHSS back then and had to process Eric's death certificate .... by that time it had just turned from 85 to 86 and needless to say I made a doc of the process by putting his death date into the records as 86 instead of 85 ..... I was never a very good civil servant

Coaching Staff
    My final thoughts on this, when he died it came as a great shock to those of us who had been privileged to watch him play for Hibs, so much so that I as an individual felt that it was a family member who had died. Such a sad sad day.

First Team Breakthrough
    New article regarding Shades in today’s Sunday Times:

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%...itch-62c9dz96q

Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    My final thoughts on this, when he died it came as a great shock to those of us who had been privileged to watch him play for Hibs, so much so that I as an individual felt that it was a family member who had died. Such a sad sad day.
    Unfortunately the articles behind a paywall.

But very similar thoughts here, I buck a few trends when I say he was my favourite Hibs player of the ones I've actually watched.

What we'd give for a defender, leader and Hibs man like that today.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Bostonhibby; 03-09-2023 at 11:44 AM.

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by skankomcphee View Post
    New article regarding Shades in today’s Sunday Times:

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%...itch-62c9dz96q
    The full story is behind a pay wall, any chance of a copy and paste please 👍