hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Darren Jackson

Testimonial Due

Darren Jackson

See he has been declared bankrupt.

How do these folk make such a rickets of their cash?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzee 4 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

See the "Voila" thread.

@hibs.net private member greenginger's Avatar
    Hector having a purge on football agents.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greenginger View Post
    He was on the United coaching staff with Macnamara too though.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    It's a purge on those who couldn't pay the tax on the failed film-investment tax avoidance scheme.

See the Voila (sic) thread for a roll of honour

Blog Entries
    Call me hard-hearted, but. I don't feel much sympathy for tax avoiders and significantly less for tax evaders. Most folk who complain about paying huge amounts of tax are creaming in a lot of candy, so I say 'tough sh/t.'

@hibs.net private member greenginger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    It's a purge on those who couldn't pay the tax on the failed film-investment tax avoidance scheme.

See the Voila (sic) thread for a roll of honour

I wouldn't have thought the tax charge on that one scheme would have been enough to bankrupt people.

However being involved in the scheme would open the way for a tax investigation of all of Voila and Jackson's income sources .

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    I wouldn't have thought the tax charge on that one scheme would have been enough to bankrupt people.

However being involved in the scheme would open the way for a tax investigation of all of Voila and Jackson's income sources .
    It's been pretty nasty.

There have been plenty footballers involved. The high-profile ones, the high earners (Rooney and Lineker, IIRC), could afford the hit. Those less so, like DJ (and the others I mention on the Viola thread) might not be so fortunate.

From the other thread:-

Derek Whyte
    Paddy Connolly
    Barry Ferguson
    Gordon Durie
    Michael O'Neill
    Tosh McKinlay

There are actually 40 companies with a similar name. If i fall out with the family over Christmas, I'll dig out any other newsworthy names :)

This is what kicked things off:-

http://www.theguardian.com/football/...x-demands-hmrc
    Last edited by CropleyWasGod; 22-12-2015 at 02:17 PM.

Just had a wedge of letters through the door about this as well. Thankfully no one we act for will be going to the wall because of it.

Left by mutual consent!
    Is ooh-ah-Jacksona the only player to have played for all 3 Edinburgh clubs?

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SausageSurprise View Post
    Did one of the willie irvines maybe do so too?

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    Did one of the willie irvines maybe do so too?
    Don't think so. Ralph Callachan did though.
    Last edited by Peevemor; 22-12-2015 at 07:58 PM.

Thomson Allan did as well

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hart RIP View Post
    Thomson Allan did as well
    Didn't play for all three but I remember watching big Vic Kasule and thinking he was some Brazilian legend propelled into the east end of Edinburgh !

I went to a few Meadowbank games, quite a weird atmosphere at times - especially when all I wanted was a slush puppy from their cafe !

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzee 4 View Post

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...c_strips#A_-_E

See 'Darren Dice'.

The Evening News headline had him as ex-Hibs and Celtic!! Mind you, they probably didn't mentioned his time at Hearts to save him more embarrassment.

So Jackie wasn't giving him a cut of his bonuses for all the players United sold to Celtic

Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    Didn't play for all three but I remember watching big Vic Kasule and thinking he was some Brazilian legend propelled into the east end of Edinburgh !

I went to a few Meadowbank games, quite a weird atmosphere at times - especially when all I wanted was a slush puppy from their cafe !
    Now there was a character- Vic Kasule. Usually 4 or 5 pints before each game he played in. He had plenty of ability too, could have been a top player too.

Sad to here this. Both that hes been avoiding tax and that its went wrong for him. Helped me out a lot when i was a youth player and was always a good guy

After leaving Dubdee United he has been a regular at Easter Road with his son

My favourite player at hibs when i was young...lost all respect for him when he signed for hearts

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Noticed from the article in the news that it claims Jackson has no assets to repay his debts. If this is the case it is very sad for Jackson and his family.

However, is it the case like the choreographed administrations at the cheating ****bos and Sevco things like houses and other assets can be hived off and rise phoenix like in other peoples names or other companies names?

Does nobody take pride in paying their way these days or is life just about getting as much as you can for nothing? Are those of us with the attitude only spend what you can afford whilst paying their debts when requested really just old fashioned mugs?

Sad to see this happen. Darren did a tremendous amount of charity work for the Craig Gowans Foundation in recent years, and was always very humble about it.

He tried to avoid paying Tax and it caught up with him

Some get away with it (Hearts), others don't (Rangers RIP)

Very sad but can't have sympathy for someone who earns enough to need an accountant/agent. They then pay said accountant money to avoid tax liability and moan when caught out. They'd be better off paying the tax in the first place.

Or maybe next time they could go for a remake of Springtime for Hitler.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo_1875 View Post
    Very sad but can't have sympathy for someone who earns enough to need an accountant/agent. They then pay said accountant money to avoid tax liability and moan when caught out. They'd be better off paying the tax in the first place.

Or maybe next time they could go for a remake of Springtime for Hitler.
    You don't need to be loaded to need an accountant. I'm sure a great number of self-employed people and small business owners would be choking on their coffee reading that.

Quote Originally Posted by s.a.m View Post
    You don't need to be loaded to need an accountant. I'm sure a great number of self-employed people and small business owners would be choking on their coffee reading that.
    Yes, some self-employed people may hire an accountant to navigate the minefield of HMRC regulations. However, footballers (and any other employee) can opt to join PAYE and have their affairs handled directly by their employer.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo_1875 View Post
    Yes, some self-employed people may hire an accountant to navigate the minefield of HMRC regulations. However, footballers (and any other employee) can opt to join PAYE and have their affairs handled directly by their employer.
    High earners are hit hard by the tax man - I'm not against that, but neither am I against them exploring and using ways to reduce their liability. It would seem that hundreds of footballers invested in these film-funding schemes in good faith and are now paying the price.

It looks to be a combination of unclear advice and HMRC shifting the goalposts which has led to the situation.

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    High earners are hit hard by the tax man - I'm not against that, but neither am I against them exploring and using ways to reduce their liability. It would seem that hundreds of footballers invested in these film-funding schemes in good faith and are now paying the price.

It looks to be a combination of unclear advice and HMRC shifting the goalposts which has led to the situation.
    Sorry I am going to have to take issue with you on that.

They did not invest in good faith

They were led to believe there was a tax loophole which they could exploit which would enable them to avoid paying tax lesser mortals would.

There is absolutely nothing good faith about that.

I am absolutely over the moon about the closure of all of these tax loopholes which favoured the rich, who could afford such advice at the expense of the poor who could not.

No-one likes taxes but they are a necessary evil, they become an unnecessary evil when the system is abused.

BTW for the record I am an IFA, with not inconsiderable knowledge of these schemes and a 40% tax payer so this isn't sour grapes about others with more wealth cheating me, they cheat everyone, particularly those that can least afford to be cheated.

My advice to my clients has always been if something looks to good to be true it probably is.

Like many tax advantaged schemes, in an attempt to save tax you can often lose not just the tax saved but the original investment.

Pay your dues and get on with it, sleep well and don't ever be afraid of the phone or doorbell ringing or the postman delivering a nasty surprise.
    Last edited by BSEJVT; 23-12-2015 at 11:29 AM.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BSEJVT View Post
    Sorry I am going to have to take issue with you on that.

They did not invest in good faith

They were led to believe there was a tax loophole which they could exploit which would enable them to avoid paying tax lesser mortals would.

There is absolutely nothing good faith about that.

I am absolutely over the moon about the closure of all of these tax loopholes which favoured the rich, who could afford such advice at the expense of the poor who could not.

No-one likes taxes but they are a necessary evil, they become an unnecessary evil when the system is abused.

BTW for the record I am an IFA, with not inconsiderable knowledge of these schemes and a 40% tax payer so this isn't sour grapes about others with more wealth cheating me, they cheat everyone, particularly those that can least afford to be cheated.

My advice to my clients has always been if something looks to good to be true it probably is.

Like many tax advantaged schemes, in an attempt to save tax you can often lose not just the tax saved but the original investment.

Pay your dues and get on with it, sleep well and don't ever be afraid of the phone or doorbell ringing or the postman delivering a nasty surprise.
    I put money into an ISA last year. Many would not have been able to afford to do that. Am I cheating them?