hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 98
  1. #1
    Coaching Staff monktonharp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    pleasant valley eh15
    Age
    66
    Posts
    11,303

    to all who travelled on the Milton Mowbray bus on Saturday.......

    A big thank you, and sincere apologies for being put through the situation we were left in. we had to charge everyone on the bus for the cost of getting there and we got there (almost) in good time. we arrived at the venue planned before ,before the start of the game and as everyone on here knows, the situation became farcical. I have complained vehemently by email to Greenock Morton by Email and I immediately called Hibernian fc, on arrival at the club we were booked into. I spoke to a young lady at Hibernian,who declined to give me her name but agreed to take my Email address, and then send me a contact email address at Hibernian. this was done at 12:40pm on Saturday. I have not yet received that address. once again, I do apologise to all, for shelling out their hard earned cash and especially to the group of young lads that spent their pocket money to get to the match. I did receive the message, about someone who had left their scarf on the bus and will contact the company this morning. I will be calling the club again, today and expressing our disgust about the way we were treated. no one can say that "this was outwith the control of the club" in my opinion. the warnings were put out, 2 days in advance and as someone had said in a previous post, All football clubs knew about the real possibility of what could happen and the authorities could have said......let's make it Sunday! and why not??


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #2
    Left by mutual consent!
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    374
    Hope you're tin hat is on securely mate, I think you're gonna need it!

  4. #3
    @hibs.net private member Thecat23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Age
    42
    Posts
    19,740
    Quote Originally Posted by monktonharp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A big thank you, and sincere apologies for being put through the situation we were left in. we had to charge everyone on the bus for the cost of getting there and we got there (almost) in good time. we arrived at the venue planned before ,before the start of the game and as everyone on here knows, the situation became farcical. I have complained vehemently by email to Greenock Morton by Email and I immediately called Hibernian fc, on arrival at the club we were booked into. I spoke to a young lady at Hibernian,who declined to give me her name but agreed to take my Email address, and then send me a contact email address at Hibernian. this was done at 12:40pm on Saturday. I have not yet received that address. once again, I do apologise to all, for shelling out their hard earned cash and especially to the group of young lads that spent their pocket money to get to the match. I did receive the message, about someone who had left their scarf on the bus and will contact the company this morning. I will be calling the club again, today and expressing our disgust about the way we were treated. no one can say that "this was outwith the control of the club" in my opinion. the warnings were put out, 2 days in advance and as someone had said in a previous post, All football clubs knew about the real possibility of what could happen and the authorities could have said......let's make it Sunday! and why not??
    What exactly are you complaining about that you think Hibs were in the wrong? Both Morton and Hibs thought the game was on and it was the police that called it off. The late call off was a pain for many and I think it should have been done earlier. But it's not the clubs fault!

    You said yourself there was a warning 2 days before so it's up to yourself to take the chance and travel through! I only had to look out the window on sat to know there would be a very high chance it would be off.

    I honestly don't know what you think Hibs could have done because like yourself many busses went through knowing it may be off. It's the chance you take.

  5. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What exactly are you complaining about that you think Hibs were in the wrong? Both Morton and Hibs thought the game was on and it was the police that called it off. The late call off was a pain for many and I think it should have been done earlier. But it's not the clubs fault!

    You said yourself there was a warning 2 days before so it's up to yourself to take the chance and travel through! I only had to look out the window on sat to know there would be a very high chance it would be off.

    I honestly don't know what you think Hibs could have done because like yourself many busses went through knowing it may be off. It's the chance you take.
    One of the problems for away fans is that it's rarely in the home clubs' interests to suggest a match is off, until it is. The last thing they want is for the match to go ahead in front of a handful of fans, with no revenue.

    The question is, how much liaison was there between Morton and the police on Sat morning, what was said and when did the situation dramatically change to the point of the match being called off ? One thing's for sure, if the home club or police were made to compensate away fans for late call off, such as this, they would make different decisions and earlier too ! It would certainly concentrate minds. As it is, they all simply walk away and leave the fans to foot the bill.

    In 2015, there has to be a better system of informing away fans using social media, giving up to the minute details.

  6. #5
    @hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Narnia
    Posts
    23,285
    Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    One of the problems for away fans is that it's rarely in the home clubs' interests to suggest a match is off, until it is. The last thing they want is for the match to go ahead in front of a handful of fans, with no revenue.

    The question is, how much liaison was there between Morton and the police on Sat morning, what was said and when did the situation dramatically change to the point of the match being called off ? One thing's for sure, if the home club or police were made to compensate away fans for late call off, such as this, they would make different decisions and earlier too ! It would certainly concentrate minds. As it is, they all simply walk away and leave the fans to foot the bill.

    In 2015, there has to be a better system of informing away fans using social media, giving up to the minute details.
    I think it's a certainty there was no or little liaison between Morton and the police. I think the grounstaff were on a mission to get the game on as they of course should be but reading between the lines it became a " I told you so" situation after the groundsman's tweets the night before and on the morning of the match. No consideration or consultation was taken on conditions around the ground it indeed the wider travelling area.

  7. #6
    @hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Blackpool
    Age
    60
    Posts
    51,327
    I think there are just days like Saturday, where the weather is so severe that it's just not safe enough for folk to be travelling to watch a game of football.

    Some of the carnage i witnessed on the way to the game was awful, numerous lorry's on their side and even on their backs upside down on both sides of the motorway, and cars smashed to bits at the side of the road was terrible.

    The amount of rain and the strong winds were making it very dangerous for everyone who left their houses, just because a pitch is playable, is not enough to decide the game is on.

    The sensible decision on Saturday would have been to call this game off in the morning, sometimes you just have to do the most sensible thing, yes some folk will be upset, but i'd put money on folk who would normally travel not even bothering to leave their house on Saturday.

  8. #7
    Testimonial Due CB_NO3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh, Drylaw
    Age
    34
    Posts
    3,368
    Dempster really needs to have a word with herself for allowing the A8 near Greenock to get flooded two hours before KO.

  9. #8
    @hibs.net private member Thecat23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Age
    42
    Posts
    19,740
    Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    One of the problems for away fans is that it's rarely in the home clubs' interests to suggest a match is off, until it is. The last thing they want is for the match to go ahead in front of a handful of fans, with no revenue.

    The question is, how much liaison was there between Morton and the police on Sat morning, what was said and when did the situation dramatically change to the point of the match being called off ? One thing's for sure, if the home club or police were made to compensate away fans for late call off, such as this, they would make different decisions and earlier too ! It would certainly concentrate minds. As it is, they all simply walk away and leave the fans to foot the bill.

    In 2015, there has to be a better system of informing away fans using social media, giving up to the minute details.
    I totally agree that it should have been done first thing in the morning. I'm not sure Morton can take any blame though as they themselves worked through the night to keep the pitch playable.

    The police have clearly ballsed up on this one that's for sure. But as with any game you travel at your own choice and with the weather being as it was on sat I think everyone going through would have known it may be called off. It's crap for us fans who make that journey but sometimes that's the chance we take.

  10. #9
    @hibs.net private member Thecat23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Age
    42
    Posts
    19,740
    Quote Originally Posted by CB_NO3 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dempster really needs to have a word with herself for allowing the A8 near Greenock to get flooded two hours before KO.
    Surely it's Petries fault ;)

  11. #10
    @hibs.net private member Thecat23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Age
    42
    Posts
    19,740
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think there are just days like Saturday, where the weather is so severe that it's just not safe enough for folk to be travelling to watch a game of football.

    Some of the carnage i witnessed on the way to the game was awful, numerous lorry's on their side and even on their backs upside down on both sides of the motorway, and cars smashed to bits at the side of the road was terrible.

    The amount of rain and the strong winds were making it very dangerous for everyone who left their houses, just because a pitch is playable, is not enough to decide the game is on.

    The sensible decision on Saturday would have been to call this game off in the morning, sometimes you just have to do the most sensible thing, yes some folk will be upset, but i'd put money on folk who would normally travel not even bothering to leave their house on Saturday.
    Spot on. Imagine if one of our busses was involved in a bad crash or a supporter was hurt on the way into the ground. Folk say "but the people of Morton still have to go out" yes but the volume of traffic is about 20 times more than normal and so is the amount of folk around the ground.

    The police issued a warning to all on sat that only travel if you really need too. This surely applies to football fans as well. Again it was bad timing no doubt about it but it was the right call. Safety of the fans must come first!

  12. #11
    @hibs.net private member andyf5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    58
    Posts
    646
    Quote Originally Posted by CB_NO3 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dempster really needs to have a word with herself for allowing the A8 near Greenock to get flooded two hours before KO.
    I think in this case everyone knew there was a storm coming, a lot of folk said the game would be off but the groundsman tweeted "game on". I was travelling when the game was called off. Maybe all those who bought tickets should get double loyalty points? No cost to club and nice gesture?

    The police and club should liaise sooner but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

  13. #12
    @hibs.net private member Peevemor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Saint-Malo, Brittany
    Age
    53
    Posts
    22,004
    Quote Originally Posted by andyf5 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think in this case everyone knew there was a storm coming, a lot of folk said the game would be off but the groundsman tweeted "game on". I was travelling when the game was called off. Maybe all those who bought tickets should get double loyalty points? No cost to club and nice gesture?

    The police and club should liaise sooner but hindsight is a wonderful thing.
    Who says they didn't?

  14. #13
    Don't think the club can be accountable at all. They faced the exact same problem as us, in that the team bus had to turn round on the M8. It was a matter of public safety and the police should have dealt with it earlier.

  15. #14
    Testimonial Due 1two's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In a Caravan
    Posts
    3,485
    The clubs aren't to blame here at all, but for police Scotland to postpone a game 2 hours before when the know the distance away fans are travelling from is a joke.

    All the signs were there that this could be cancelled about 2 days before and things hadn't improved by the Saturday morning. An early morning cancellation was in order

  16. #15
    Coaching Staff lyonhibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Zurich
    Age
    35
    Posts
    12,784
    Re: the OP, presumably if the info in the post really was purely for the benefit of those on your bus, that info could have been conveyed via PM/phone call, text message etc without the need for a public thread?

    Seems a little bit "look at me, I'm so very enraged" IMO.

    From what I can glean from the info on what happened yesterday, unless Petrie has donned his skintight "Storm from X-Men" costume and spent yesterday morning just ****ing the weather up all across the land, the club is blameless here.

  17. #16
    @hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    8,759
    I don't see why Hibs are to blame at all to be honest. Seems quite ridiculous to be losing the rag at the club.

  18. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I totally agree that it should have been done first thing in the morning. I'm not sure Morton can take any blame though as they themselves worked through the night to keep the pitch playable.

    The police have clearly ballsed up on this one that's for sure. But as with any game you travel at your own choice and with the weather being as it was on sat I think everyone going through would have known it may be called off. It's crap for us fans who make that journey but sometimes that's the chance we take.
    Agree to a point, but some kind of indicator (RAG status or 0 - 100%) from both the clubs & police would have helped folk make a much more informed decision. This could then be updated every 30 mins or so. Instead, folk are left to read message boards and look outside their windows to decide ! Crazy in 2015.

    The other thing is what level of interest each of the parties have who are involved in the decision. Morton want the game to go ahead and will do everything they can to make it happen. Hibs may have been a little less keen. The police, on balance, would probably have been happier to have the game called off so they could concentrate on all the other problems the weather created for them.

    The question I have, is how hard did Morton press the police for a definitive answer throughout the morning ? If Morton were not pressing the police hard, they should have been. They have a due to the fans, beyond just getting the pitch playable.

  19. #18
    @hibs.net private member Peevemor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Saint-Malo, Brittany
    Age
    53
    Posts
    22,004
    Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agree to a point, but some kind of indicator (RAG status or 0 - 100%) from both the clubs & police would have helped folk make a much more informed decision. This could then be updated every 30 mins or so. Instead, folk are left to read message boards and look outside their windows to decide ! Crazy in 2015.

    The other thing is what level of interest each of the parties have who are involved in the decision. Morton want the game to go ahead and will do everything they can to make it happen. Hibs may have been a little less keen. The police, on balance, would probably have been happier to have the game called off so they could concentrate on all the other problems the weather created for them.

    The question I have, is how hard did Morton press the police for a definitive answer throughout the morning ? If Morton were not pressing the police hard, they should have been. They have a due to the fans, beyond just getting the pitch playable.
    They would have been pressing alright. The later the match was called off the more money they lost, (wages, catering, etc.)

  20. #19
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Musselburgh
    Posts
    2,223
    Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Re: the OP, presumably if the info in the post really was purely for the benefit of those on your bus, that info could have been conveyed via PM/phone call, text message etc without the need for a public thread?

    Seems a little bit "look at me, I'm so very enraged" IMO.

    From what I can glean from the info on what happened yesterday, unless Petrie has donned his skintight "Storm from X-Men" costume and spent yesterday morning just ****ing the weather up all across the land, the club is blameless here.
    Why would you assume everyone on the bus was a .Netter? Or had supplied an email address or mobile phone number? Have you ever been on a supporters bus, caller?
    Fwiw, I have sympathy for the OP, but there's no way Hibs were at fault.

  21. #20
    @hibs.net private member flash's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    sunny leith
    Age
    53
    Posts
    7,786
    Totally baffled as to why the OP is raging at Hibs.

  22. #21
    Coaching Staff lyonhibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Zurich
    Age
    35
    Posts
    12,784
    Quote Originally Posted by oneone73 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why would you assume everyone on the bus was a .Netter? Or had supplied an email address or mobile phone number? Have you ever been on a supporters bus, caller?
    Fwiw, I have sympathy for the OP, but there's no way Hibs were at fault.
    I have indeed, hence my query. Forgive my ignorance, but if bus convenors haven't been in some form of prior contact with the folk getting on their bus (or at least 1 person per group) then how does one know how many people to actually expect?

    Anyway, we digress. Like you say, a fair % of them may not even be on .Net which makes the OP even odder.

    Must have been an immensely frustrating afternoon for all concerned, but Hibs are not to blame.

  23. #22
    @hibs.net private member Kojock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Dalkeith
    Age
    59
    Posts
    5,193
    Agree that Hibs are in no way to blame for the late call off, I would imagine the team bus would likewise be en route when the match was called off.

    My gripe is that Morton fans were tweeting at 10.30am saying there was serious flooding on the A8 at Cappielow and that they didn't know how Hibs fans would get there. A pitch inspection was held at 11am and the announcement was "game on" Hearing that news we set off and were within a mile of Cappielow when news came through that the game was off. As previously posted the weather forecast was for heavy rain to continue throughout the day. So how would anyone expect a road that was nearly impassable at 10.30am improve as the day wore on !! The Police are 100% to blame for the late call off, they said it was in the interest of spectator safety, if that's the case then the game should have been called off before we had to leave the house.

    I don't blame Morton either as their concern is the stadium and pitch, its not their job to ensure that access roads are clear.

  24. #23
    Testimonial Due Geo_1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In my Joy Division Oven Gloves
    Posts
    4,214
    Quote Originally Posted by Kojock View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agree that Hibs are in no way to blame for the late call off, I would imagine the team bus would likewise be en route when the match was called off.

    My gripe is that Morton fans were tweeting at 10.30am saying there was serious flooding on the A8 at Cappielow and that they didn't know how Hibs fans would get there. A pitch inspection was held at 11am and the announcement was "game on" Hearing that news we set off and were within a mile of Cappielow when news came through that the game was off. As previously posted the weather forecast was for heavy rain to continue throughout the day. So how would anyone expect a road that was nearly impassable at 10.30am improve as the day wore on !! The Police are 100% to blame for the late call off, they said it was in the interest of spectator safety, if that's the case then the game should have been called off before we had to leave the house.

    I don't blame Morton either as their concern is the stadium and pitch, its not their job to ensure that access roads are clear.
    Of course it's Mortons fault. Imagine building a football stadium where there is only one road in and out. No foresight at all. I can't imagine they get many games played during the winter months.

  25. #24
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Age
    52
    Posts
    1,796
    Blog Entries
    1
    If the SFA contacted an insurance company to find out about insurance for supporters bus' being insured in case of a game getting called off and having to pay for the bus, then this would be something at least pro active rather than re active from our Governing body.

    If you take all our clubs in Scotland that have dedicated branches that go to away games, then I believe the insurance would be cheap enough that most supporter's bus' would join.
    GGTTH

  26. #25
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    I live for dull football
    Posts
    42,987
    Quote Originally Posted by southern hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If the SFA contacted an insurance company to find out about insurance for supporters bus' being insured in case of a game getting called off and having to pay for the bus, then this would be something at least pro active rather than re active from our Governing body.

    If you take all our clubs in Scotland that have dedicated branches that go to away games, then I believe the insurance would be cheap enough that most supporter's bus' would join.
    GGTTH
    The first question they would ask is why did the bus leave at 10.45am for a 3.00pm kick-off.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned 2,389.68!



  27. #26
    @hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Chippenham/Bath
    Age
    39
    Posts
    6,137
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The first question they would ask is why did the bus leave at 10.45am for a 3.00pm kick-off.
    🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍺🍺🍻🍺🍕🍟🍔

  28. #27
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    I live for dull football
    Posts
    42,987
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristolhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    
    I get that, and I'm not making any comment about it as it's perfectly understandable, and makes for a good day out, but no insurance company would pay compensation in those circumstances.

    I'm sure they would argue that because they arrived several hours before kick-off, the bus journey wasn't solely for the purpose of attending the football match.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned 2,389.68!



  29. #28
    Left by mutual consent!
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Livingston
    Age
    36
    Posts
    972
    I can't for the life of me understand why the police are coming in for any kind of stick over this. Police Scotland issued warnings about travelling for everyone in Scotland, not just football fans. I'm petty sure the police would have had their hands full with plenty of weather related incidents before getting round to calling this match off. The blame lies firmly with GMFC and no one else.

  30. #29
    @hibs.net private member Kojock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Dalkeith
    Age
    59
    Posts
    5,193
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The first question they would ask is why did the bus leave at 10.45am for a 3.00pm kick-off.
    And the answer would be that the Police advised to allow extra time for your journey.

  31. #30
    Its the groundsman's fault!

    He spent the night before the game and the morning off the game banging on about how he's never had a game off and that his pitches are always great.

    The creep couldn't see the bigger picture.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2020 All Rights Reserved
- Mobile Leaderboard (320x50) - Leaderboard (728x90)