170. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mowbray

47 27.65%
  • Stubbs

123 72.35%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Mowbray or Stubbs

Who gets your vote.

Loved it during the Mowbray era but he did have the advantage of coming in when we had the 'Golden Generation' of Garry O'Connor, Derek Riordan, Scott Brown, Kevin Thomson, Steven Whittaker etc. Some good players were signed during his reign but despite this we didn't actually achieve anything.

On the other hand Stubbsy arrived and basically all he had to work with was deadwood. A major clear out was required and to bring in the players of quality he has, and don't forget that it must have been difficult to convince a player to join us being in the Scottish Championship over a top division team in Scotland or even a first division team in England, is something to be applauded.

As I mentioned before, Mowbray was great during his short spell with the club but Stubbsy gets my vote.

Now let's win this league.

Last edited by iwasthere1972; 23-11-2015 at 08:38 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Nameless
    Left by mutual consent!
    Can't vote on my phone, but it would go to Mowbray. Reason being, we dominated rangers and celtic and were a joy to watch. The 0-3 cup game at ibrox and the 1-2 game at tynie are my two favorite games I've been to.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Mowbray all day long, he had us playing in europe through league qualification. Some of the football was the best i have witnessed since the early 70s.

How can anyone vote Stubbs when he has never mananged in top league?

We won't know hoe good he is until he does but it doing decent job now.

Mowbray for now.

A lot of made of the fact he had a lot of good youngsters but they hadn't done a whole lot (league wise) up to him taking charge. We went from 8th to 3rd in a season and finished 4th the following season. He also signed probably the best full back I have seen at ER and a quality midfielder in Boozy. There may be a bit of rose tinted glasses as I was in my late teens and early 20s when TM was in charge and going to the football at that time was a great laugh with mates every week.

If Stubbs can get us up and continue to improve us as he has and continues to sign the standard of player he has then he will be right up there. He's already pretty close.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Coaching Staff
    Mowbray

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    If Stubbs takes up then we can make a proper comparison. If Stubbs sticks around for long enough then I've got a feeling he will turn out to be the better of the 2. If he wins the Scottish cup this year then he will be god.

United we stand here....

The fact that we had about 11k season ticket holders under Mowbray tells its own story IMO.

Stubbs is doing all right just now but still has to get us up before he can be considered a success IMO. Winning the League Cup wouldn't be bad either!

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    It's difficult to compare due to different leagues and challenges, but what I would say is the feel good factor for me is on a par of that of the Mowbray tenure. I walk out after games now immediately looking forward to the next game, and start counting down the days till Hibs are in action again. I felt exactly the same when Mowbray was in charge. I hope that sensation remains for a long time to come, but there are 3-4000 odd fans who maybe felt that way under Mowbray who don't unfortunately feel that way at the moment.

First Team Breakthrough
    Stubsy, I've never been a nostalgic person because no one gives a **** where you've been, it's all about where you're going.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: xoROOSKYox
    Stubbs.
    Mowbray got the Hibs job at the best possible time whereas Stubbs got it at the worst time possible.
    Mowbray was great for Hibs but my vote goes to Stubbs. All he has to do is get us promoted this season and I'm pretty confident he'll do just that :aok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mowbray

Left by mutual consent! majorhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's difficult to compare due to different leagues and challenges, but what I would say is the feel good factor for me is on a par of that of the Mowbray tenure. I walk out after games now immediately looking forward to the next game, and start counting down the days till Hibs are in action again. I felt exactly the same when Mowbray was in charge. I hope that sensation remains for a long time to come, but there are 3-4000 odd fans who maybe felt that way under Mowbray who don't unfortunately feel that way at the moment.
    On the money. Bring on next Saturday. Thats a Hibs manager.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    If Mowbray could have organised our defence like Stubbs has, we'd have achieved a lot more.

Edit: Remember all those last minute goals we conceded? Horrific.
    Last edited by Hibbyradge; 23-11-2015 at 08:05 PM.

@hibs.net private member Jack Hackett's Avatar
    This club was on its knees 18 months ago. The recovery under Stubbs and Dempster has been remarkable. Pride in our new team...on and off the pitch...is growing weekly. Mowbray did well with the team he basically inherited, but Stubbs has turned us around from what was beginning to look like terminal decline to me.

Getting bums back on seats will take a while. Other than the odd high interest game, it will be when we get back where we belong that the majority of drifters will return. Given the level of expectation engendered by our current run, he really needs to make that happen.

I have every faith

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by anon1875 View Post
    Stubsy, I've never been a nostalgic person because no one gives a **** where you've been, it's all about where you're going.
    Tell that to the "Sign Deeks up" brigade

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Tell that to the "Sign Deeks up" brigade
    Is he still training with us?

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Folks forget - just as Stubbs and Leeann have given us our club back Mowbray did the same. Short term memories guys.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Better manger or better times so far?. Record against each other not fair to judge. Mowbray gave best times ive seen v OF but also some of worst v them with hugely talented team and up and down form, zibby big black mark. Mowbray attendences higher and sell outs in smaller stadium in better financial times for fans and I would think budgets. Both new managers when starting out and one got golden bunch the other 8 players with soul destoryed. Stubbs and Mowbray given fans what they want. Impossible to compare but id go with Stubbs if pushed due to what hes had to work with and make no mistake we are a top flight team as good as any. Mowbray got internationals in making. Ill stick with a very hard to judge contest. I knew under Mowbray we would win a trophy. Stubbs looks the same. Knockin on doors.

It has to be Mowbray since Stubbs has never managed in the top league in Scotland yet.

I really like Alan Stubbs though and I will be really pleased for him if he can take us up this season.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Trig View Post
    It has to be Mowbray since Stubbs has never managed in the top league in Scotland yet.

I really like Alan Stubbs though and I will be really pleased for him if he can take us up this season.
    When he takes us up this season!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who from the current team would get into Mowbray's team ?

The Ox probably and maybe Gray....but otherwise its hard to make a case for any of the current crop. While Stubbs has transformed things, those days of watching Boozy, Zemmama Brown, Thomson, even Mikey Stewart......

Mowbray by a mile for me right now.

The poster who mentioned about the defense though is spot on. Hanlon for me looks a different player. Fontaine is a real find. McGregor means we dont miss either when out

Coaching Staff
    I love Stubbs but let's be realistic. All recent managers have been judged against the ability to challenge in the top 3 or 4 so we have a bit to go before we can say that's been achieved.

@hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar
    We'll know better when Stubbs takes us up into the Premier League.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by givescotlandfreedom View Post
    We'll know better when Stubbs takes us up into the Premier League.
    Exactly Scott , none of this '' if '' milarky As champions as well I might add..

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Mowbray all day long, he had us playing in europe through league qualification. Some of the football was the best i have witnessed since the early 70s.

And look at the teams/players we were playing against in the top league where as right now we happen to be playing in the lower league that has some part time clubs playing in this league.

You really can't compare the two as both were/are in different leagues, one was in the top league playing against some top players at that era, the other is just now playing in this league where the standard of play from most players are pretty poor.

In saying that, Stubbs has it and if he can get us up and stay with us for a couple of seasons then i can see him maybe eclipsing what Mowbray done, just as long as the club doesn't start selling our players off to fill in the corners and finally get that heli pad sorted.

But right now it's Mowbray for me. Football was really enjoyable then, Stubbs is getting there but we have to wait and see how he does when he gets us in to the top league, and i think he will.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Is he still training with us?
    Yes.

But not in La Manga.
    Last edited by silverhibee; 23-11-2015 at 09:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PISTOL1875 View Post
    When he takes us up this season!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Apologies, slip of the finger!

WHEN he takes us up this season.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FromTheCapital View Post
    Stubbs.
    Mowbray got the Hibs job at the best possible time whereas Stubbs got it at the worst time possible.
    Mowbray was great for Hibs but my vote goes to Stubbs. All he has to do is get us promoted this season and I'm pretty confident he'll do just that :aok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I like Stubbs very much, but he's had more support from the club than any recent manager - CEO, footballing debt, HTC, his own coaching team. Installing a professional culture at Hibs is probably his greatest achievement so far but he's been given resources to do it.

A tough job, but the kind that many managers would relish.

Mowbray had a good relationship with Petrie and the nucleus of a good team, but no training centre, and much harder opposition. So many of the best players in his team were his signings - Jones, Murphy, Boozy, etc
    Last edited by jacomo; 23-11-2015 at 10:33 PM.

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Liked Mowbray a lot. He was great for Hibs and Hibs worked for him - won promotion with WBA but career didn't go as it should and taking the Celtic job was a huge mistake at the time. Also our mindset in the really big games seemed to be lacking. That dreadful semi final springs to mind.

I am certain Stubbs will achieve more as a manager than Mogga did (or will.) Just hoping some of it will be with us. No doubt in my mind he is going to be a top coach.