hibs.net Messageboard

Hibernian History Day 97

Season 1971-72

Eddie Turnbull was appointed manger, Turnbull had managed Aberdeen for six years and had won them the Scottish Cup.

Within a short period Turnbull managed to improve the performances of many of the squad.

6th May, after defeating Aberdeen 2-0 in the quarter-final and Rangers 2-0 in a replay in the semi-final of the Scottish Cup, Hibs face Celtic in the final. Turnbull’s team had made great progress but were defeated 6-1 by the Scottish Champions.

Season results –
    Scottish Cup Final – Celtic 6-1
    League Cup Q/F
    League Div 1 4/18 Pld34 W19 D6 L9 F62 A34 Pts44

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by big-mo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Season 1971-72

Eddie Turnbull was appointed manger, Turnbull had managed Aberdeen for six years and had won them the Scottish Cup.

Within a short period Turnbull managed to improve the performances of many of the squad.

6th May, after defeating Aberdeen 2-0 in the quarter-final and Rangers 2-0 in a replay in the semi-final of the Scottish Cup, Hibs face Celtic in the final. Turnbull’s team had made great progress but were defeated 6-1 by the Scottish Champions.

Season results –
    Scottish Cup Final – Celtic 6-1
    League Cup Q/F
    League Div 1 4/18 Pld34 W19 D6 L9 F62 A34 Pts44
    The beginning of the best spell I have seen as a Hibby, different world - was taken to the 6-1 game by my uncle who was a devoted yam and he wore a Hibs rosette - I still have the rosette, and the press photo of Alan Gordons' goal!

Keep em coming Mo - enjoying this

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

First Team Breakthrough Cheshire Hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    The beginning of the best spell I have seen as a Hibby, different world - was taken to the 6-1 game by my uncle who was a devoted yam and he wore a Hibs rosette - I still have the rosette, and the press photo of Alan Gordons' goal!

Keep em coming Mo - enjoying this
    Absolutely agree. Went to the 6-1 game and stood in the Schoolboys enclosure, filled with hope. Never expected that result and remember being gutted. 106,000 attendance, awesome. Next post from Mo tomorrow will show how we bounced back.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheshire Hibby View Post
    Absolutely agree. Went to the 6-1 game and stood in the Schoolboys enclosure, filled with hope. Never expected that result and remember being gutted. 106,000 attendance, awesome. Next post from Mo tomorrow will show how we bounced back.
    I was there! StIll got the hat

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member eastterrace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    I was there! StIll got the hat
    i was there but left at 4-1 as the fighting behind the goals { rangers end } was raging on.

@hibs.net private member Ringothedog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eastterrace View Post
    i was there but left at 4-1 as the fighting behind the goals { rangers end } was raging on.
    The Hibs fans took defeat badly that day, there must have been close to 40k of us there.