hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheltenham 2016

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TreadsoneScot

Cheltenham 2016

I thought this would be a good time to start this thread after an informative weekend of NH racing.

What's the feeling on Sprinter Sacre ?
    Faugheen 15/8 for the Champion Hurdle, value ?

2. Log in to remove the advert

It was great to see SS run well. I said last year if the way he was performed was all that was left then he should be retired but he looked brilliant, if a little tired a couple out, on Sunday. There are bigger challenges ahead of course and if he runs in the Tingle Creek I think that will be informative.

I'd probably wait and see if anything comes out about Faugheen this week, he just didn't look right at all but maybe just needed the run. 15/8 is probably the best price you are going to get on the horse anytime soon and if nothing worrying is made public in the next day or so I'd be tempted.

Next week will be a big pointer towards some of the staying chaser with Cue Card and Silviniaco Conti amongst others going in the Betfair. I still think Conti will run in the National this year as he won't go in the Gold Cup again that's for sure. Suits me as I'm bypassing Cheltenham this year and heading to Aintree instead. Love this time of year when the national hunt season really gets going.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Gamer IDs

Always feel that SS is a bridle horse get him off that and you have a chance. Although two years ago it looked that you would never get him off it.
    The most striking thing about the faugheen race was the difference in size between the first two. Real flat bred horse is Nichols Canyon so I'll wait and see how he is after a few more races. See if he can hold that level. Wont be taking Faugheen at current odds or laying him either.
    Vautour for the gold cup.

Quote Originally Posted by Treadstone View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Always feel that SS is a bridle horse get him off that and you have a chance. Although two years ago it looked that you would never get him off it.
    The most striking thing about the faugheen race was the difference in size between the first two. Real flat bred horse is Nichols Canyon so I'll wait and see how he is after a few more races. See if he can hold that level. Wont be taking Faugheen at current odds or laying him either.
    Vautour for the gold cup.
    Vautour certainly seems the one to beat although Coneygree looked good on reappearance, carrying top weight in the Hennessy will show how good he really is though.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Vautour certainly seems the one to beat although Coneygree looked good on reappearance, carrying top weight in the Hennessy will show how good he really is though.
    Never seen a horse jump better than Vautour did at the festival. Could be worth 20+ lengths come GC.

Coneygree could turn out to be a freak. Looks like a machine of a horse.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Cracking horse, great connections I think everything fell in his favour last March. Soft lead, ground came right on the day. Could well do it again but will probably have to be even better.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Rated higher than Denman was at this stage in his career.

Staying chasing really needs a new superstar since the end of the Denman and Kauto era and it may be in the form of Coneygree and Vatuor.

Gamer IDs

Rated higher than Denman was at this stage in his career.
    Denmans novice rating erred on the side of caution. The Hennessy run underlined that. The tanks gold cup 10lb better than Coneygrees. Let's see if Coneygree can get better in his second season.

Vautour for the GC not as much a cert as everyone thinks. The stamina test may prove too much and a horse like Don Poli who will stay all day could be a better bet. Vautour over a solid 3m at a flat kempton however I am very confident in and have a fair whack on already. My Tent Or Yours would be my bet in Champion Hurdle. Un De Sceaux in Queen Mum and Aux Ptit Sons in World Hurdle.

Gamer IDs

Sir Des Champs run at Thurles on Thursday. Very skinny.

Quote Originally Posted by Treadstone View Post
    Sir Des Champs run at Thurles on Thursday. Very skinny.
    Not a race that I would even consider parting with my hard earned for.

Gamer IDs

Love these races. Plenty value elsewhere with a vulnerable fav.

Gamer IDs

I take it back. Looked at the race and the dangers in the race are coming back from layoffs too. Watching brief.

Saturday should be good looking at some of the horses left in at the moment:

Cue Card, Dynaste, Silviniaco Conti, Vatour, Rock on Ruby, Grumeti, Ptit Zig, The Giant Bolster, Irving etc etc

Gamer IDs

Saturday should be good looking at some of the horses left in at the moment:

Cue Card, Dynaste, Silviniaco Conti, Vatour, Rock on Ruby, Grumeti, Ptit Zig, The Giant Bolster, Irving etc etc
    Aye. Some good purses getting small fields but the quality is definitely there.

Gamer IDs

Mala Beach getting punted in Thurles race. Interesting. Off 10 months.

Gamer IDs

Sir Des Champs wins. Nice comeback run.

Gamer IDs

https://vimeo.com/146361410?ref=tw-share

See it similarly except Dynaste looks a bit more menacing but still finishes third and SC collars a tiring CC after the last.

I was going to have a wee punt on Conti today but 5/6 is far too skinny. I got 4/1 in the same race last year.

I think he will probably win if he jumps well as he'll stay fine on the flat track but Nicholls has admitted there have been a few wee niggles and I'm wary about diving in at the price.

A decent run from Vatour but far from a spectacular one.

He'll have to do a lot of improving in the coming weeks and months if he's to win the Gold Cup and especially the King George on the right handed track.

You absolute barsteward. I always back Grumeti and he was flying there, for the 1st time in ages over the hurdles, and he makes a horrible mistake at the last.

Good performance by Rock on Ruby though.

Superb performance from Cue Card.

Said earlier in the week Conti was way too short and looks like I was right.

Gamer IDs

Superb performance from Cue Card.

Said earlier in the week Conti was way too short and looks like I was right.
    Fair play to the Timeform lads on that video I posted. CC was impressive though seen the trip out well. Must be close to a career best and after his record would be some achievement. Not unfancied though 7/4 was short as he was way bigger during the week.

Gamer IDs

Nice chase debut from Douvan. Bit guessy at the last but never looked like falling. Be interesting over the coming weeks to see how the horses behind get on.

Gamer IDs

Coneygree not going in Hennessy.

First Team Breakthrough Dav1986's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: davidmcandrew86
    My birthday falls around Cheltenham every year and next year is my 30th.

Is it worth a trip with the lads? How many days is better and what days? How easy is it to get tickets?

I always take the week off for my b day and get really into it on the TV

Quote Originally Posted by Shaft View Post
    My birthday falls around Cheltenham every year and next year is my 30th.

Is it worth a trip with the lads? How many days is better and what days? How easy is it to get tickets?

I always take the week off for my b day and get really into it on the TV
    Personally I'd avoid Gold Cup day. Very busy and a lot of day trippers, they also bump the price up. I always enjoy either opening day or St Patricks Thursday the most. Tickets are relatively easy to come by.

I used to always go into Tattersalls but went up to Club a couple of years back and it was worth it imo. Think Club will set you back about £65 for the Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday. About £85 for the Friday.

I've said this before but Cheltenham is a truly special place for horse racing fans, it's the equivalent of a football fan going to Wembley or a F1 fan going to Monte Carlo. Take the time to have a look around and see the statues, paintings, trophies on display etc.

I've said this before but Cheltenham is a truly special place for horse racing fans.
    It really does have an atmosphere all of its own, there's something special about being there when that cheer goes up as the first race of the festival commences.