hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

how long can you be in the huff with your football team?

Not looking for a pat on the back here. Just want to keep some momentum for the club and HSL.

I've barely been to see hibs since calderwood/fenlon blah blah blah.

Sometimes you just have to say to yourself who does your cream puff benefit? Answer is nobody.

So I've signed up to HSL. I like what Leanne Dempster is working on I think she is fantastic. While I don't have a season ticket I am going to start paying at the gate again and this time we have a new recruit, my 7 year old nephew who is now hibs daft, has the strip and training gear, and is desperate to see Dominic Malonga score for hibs live in the flesh.

So add 2 back to the the cause. Please no sarcasm I've had my reasons for being angry at the club for the last 4 years. This is merely an attempt to galvanise.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hakim Sar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not looking for a pat on the back here. Just want to keep some momentum for the club and HSL.

Sometimes you just have to say to yourself who does your cream puff benefit? Answer is nobody.

So I've signed up to HSL. I like what Leanne Dempster is working on I think she is fantastic. While I don't have a season ticket I am going to start paying at the gate again and this time we have a new recruit, my 7 year old nephew who is now hibs daft, has the strip and training gear, and is desperate to see Dominic Malonga score for hibs live in the flesh.

So add 2 back to the the cause. Please no sarcasm I've had my reasons for being angry at the club for the last 4 years. This is merely an attempt to galvanise.

@hibs.net private member
    Welcome back but no if you dress like you are in your avatar!

Great news and especially pleased to hear a seven year old coming along as well. Attendances need to be upped in the short term but we must look to the future and get youngsters involved with Hibs for there to be a future. I have written before about my daughter getting pelters in the playground over her being a Hibs girl and with things looking up its time to get more adults and children involved. If wee Finley Insall at 3 years old can get down to Dumfries then hopefully more supporters can get to ER.

First Team Breakthrough MJN1875's Avatar
    It's about time folk stopped moaning and now that the club is doing its best got back and supported it. I've been to several games this season after not going for a while as I feel they now deserve the support.
    Recent attendances are a total embarrassment, maybe if we backed the team they would find getting out of this league easier.

We have a 20000 seater stadium in the capital of Scotland. How can't we fill that every week, at least 15000.

Why are we so badly supported, I don't get it anymore. I understand why previously, as we were not doing anything to encourage the fans butt about midway through last season we should all have been back.

I honestly don't know what more the club can do to encourage people to come back.

We now have a true leader in charge of the football side of things in Leeann Dempster, she is one of the best things to have happened to Hibs in recent years.

We also have a manager in Alan Stubbs who is worth supporting and we have a good bunch of players who are honest and hard working and are also worth getting behind.

If people can afford to go and have no other work/family commitments then they should be getting themselves along to games every week.

They are bloody awful in general I agree. I think Hibs went a bit downhill approx eight years ago and never recovered.

All is not yet lost but it's a close thing.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trig View Post
    I honestly don't know what more the club can do to encourage people to come back.

We now have a true leader in charge of the football side of things in Leeann Dempster, she is one of the best things to have happened to Hibs in recent years.

We also have a manager in Alan Stubbs who is worth supporting and we have a good bunch of players who are honest and hard working and are also worth getting behind.

If people can afford to go and have no other work/family commitments then they should be getting themselves along to games every week.
    Once you get out of the football habit and find other things to do in your life that you realise are far more enjoyable, it's difficult to turn back.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Once you get out of the football habit and find other things to do in your life that you realise are far more enjoyable, it's difficult to turn back.
    As an ex season ticket holder I totally agree, once your out of the habit you tend not to return. Sad but true.

Take your nephew to the famous five lower and if Dom is a sub he always heads to the kids for photos and autographs

Quote Originally Posted by MJN1875 View Post
    It's about time folk stopped moaning and now that the club is doing its best got back and supported it. I've been to several games this season after not going for a while as I feel they now deserve the support.
    Recent attendances are a total embarrassment, maybe if we backed the team they would find getting out of this league easier.

We have a 20000 seater stadium in the capital of Scotland. How can't we fill that every week, at least 15000.

Why are we so badly supported, I don't get it anymore. I understand why previously, as we were not doing anything to encourage the fans butt about midway through last season we should all have been back.
    The bit in bold - sorry but you must be joking surely? Presumably you mean at least 15,000 home fans every week whilst Hibs are playing in the second tier of Scottish football, watching just about every team that comes to ER playing boring, negative, ultra-defensive, so-called football?

I'm not even going to mention the cost of paying to watch that stuff.

Furthermore, the manner in which Hibs were relegated caused a huge disconnect between a significant number of the fanbase and the club. I personally know a number of lapsed supporters.

Much is being done, and has been done, by the club under Leeann Dempster to repair the damage caused by the mismanagement of others but it will take a while to repair that damage. Ultimately it means getting promotion. Even then, I would be surprised if Hibs will attract 15,000 to every home fixture. I don't think Hibs were even getting that the year they last won the League Cup with a good team playing attractive football.

Taking everything into account, especially where Hibs find themselves for a second consecutive season, I don't think Hibs are all that badly supported when one looks at attendances at most other clubs these days. Yes, the potential is there to increase attendances at ER, but realism has to come into play somewhere.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee

Fantastic!

The more of us there are, the better we are.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by emerald green View Post
    The bit in bold - sorry but you must be joking surely? Presumably you mean at least 15,000 home fans every week whilst Hibs are playing in the second tier of Scottish football, watching just about every team that comes to ER playing boring, negative, ultra-defensive, so-called football?

I'm not even going to mention the cost of paying to watch that stuff.

Furthermore, the manner in which Hibs were relegated caused a huge disconnect between a significant number of the fanbase and the club. I personally know a number of lapsed supporters.

Much is being done, and has been done, by the club under Leeann Dempster to repair the damage caused by the mismanagement of others but it will take a while to repair that damage. Ultimately it means getting promotion. Even then, I would be surprised if Hibs will attract 15,000 to every home fixture. I don't think Hibs were even getting that the year they last won the League Cup with a good team playing attractive football.

Taking everything into account, especially where Hibs find themselves for a second consecutive season, I don't think Hibs are all that badly supported when one looks at attendances at most other clubs these days. Yes, the potential is there to increase attendances at ER, but realism has to come into play somewhere.
    Yeah I get that, we as supporters have had the complete p*ss taken out of us and I am in that category of supporters who stopped even going because of this.

The way we went down was a disgrace and basically summed up how we were run after we won the cis back in 07.

But it also shows that of the 30000 plus fans there that day we can't even get 10000 to turn up when we are now playing well and getting run well, it's sad times.

Are we as big as we think? Look at hearts, they have been run worse and went down and still sell far more than is.

The supporters now have to start taking some responsibility.

I mean fair enough against st mirren etc but we should be selling out against the Huns ffs.

Really is sad times, and it shouldn't be.

Blog Entries
    Yeah I get that, we as supporters have had the complete p*ss taken out of us and I am in that category of supporters who stopped even going because of this.

The way we went down was a disgrace and basically summed up how we were run after we won the cis back in 07.

But it also shows that of the 30000 plus fans there that day we can't even get 10000 to turn up when we are now playing well and getting run well, it's sad times.

Are we as big as we think? Look at hearts, they have been run worse and went down and still sell far more than is.

I mean fair enough against st mirren etc but we should be selling out against the Huns ffs.

And yet another positive thread gets taken down the tubes.
    Cheers

Yes, Hibs probably has the 4th or 5th biggest fanbase in Scotland. Actual attendances though (which is not the same thing of course) usually depend on how well a club is performing and getting good results.

I don't want to "look at Hearts" TBH because I don't really give a s*** what they do. All I'll say is their situation following their relegation due to a points deduction following going into administration is/was entirely different to Hibs. Their supporters really had little choice other than to buy season tickets and DDs in very large numbers or risk seeing their club vanish. They also then went on a winning run that nobody really foresaw and were promoted. I can recall HMFC getting gates of 3,000.

What do you suggest will make the Hibs supporters "start taking some responsibility"?

@hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar
    The longer Stubbs and Dempster are punished for the actions of predecessors, the longer we'll be in this league. An irony lost on those who would rather moan than see us succeed. Tin hat welded on.

We need to stop comparing us with teams in totally different circumstances.

Look at our crowds when we had Riordan, Fletch and the likes. We are on the right track but let's worry when our crowds are this low when we're winning cups and challenging for Europe.

Look at Aberdeen a few years ago compared to now. Hearts have the crowds cause they were on the brink of extinction and it was their time of need and they have been riding the crest of the wave for the last year, we would do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by givescotlandfreedom View Post
    The longer Stubbs and Dempster are punished for the actions of predecessors, the longer we'll be in this league. An irony lost on those who would rather moan than see us succeed. Tin hat welded on.
    No tin hat needed. Agree 100%, well said.

Quote Originally Posted by high bee View Post
    We need to stop comparing us with teams in totally different circumstances.

Look at our crowds when we had Riordan, Fletch and the likes. We are on the right track but let's worry when our crowds are this low when we're winning cups and challenging for Europe.

Look at Aberdeen a few years ago compared to now. Hearts have the crowds cause they were on the brink of extinction and it was their time of need and they have been riding the crest of the wave for the last year, we would do the same.
    But we are now in a great position off the park and on it with a good team playing good football.

We should be selling out v the Rangers. The fans need to support the team. I mean do our fans want us to win the league or not? They will have there end sold out, so should we. I'm hoping if we win that providing we win up til then we will only be 5 points behind. If fans don't come back for that then when will they?

Quote Originally Posted by givescotlandfreedom View Post
    Bang on mate.

Yes, Hibs probably has the 4th or 5th biggest fanbase in Scotland. Actual attendances though (which is not the same thing of course) usually depend on how well a club is performing and getting good results.

I don't want to "look at Hearts" TBH because I don't really give a s*** what they do. All I'll say is their situation following their relegation due to a points deduction following going into administration is/was entirely different to Hibs. Their supporters really had little choice other than to buy season tickets and DDs in very large numbers or risk seeing their club vanish. They also then went on a winning run that nobody really foresaw and were promoted. I can recall HMFC getting gates of 3,000.

What do you suggest will make the Hibs supporters "start taking some responsibility"?
    Nobody wants to look at the **** in gorgie! But they are our rivals who we hate the most and we have to be competing with them off the pitch in the stands and on the pitch.

I don't disagree that we are in a great position relative to the last 7 years however we are still a championship team, if we were sitting level or 3 points behind Sevco then it may be a different story about the crowds.

I don't think there is anything more that LD and the team can do right now, the only thing that will increase crowds would be promotion followed by top six finishes so it's going to take time.

I simply don't think we should be worried about our crowds yet, they will come back as long as we keep moving forward but they won't come back in this league unless we are title material.

Let's see the ticket rush if we make a cup final this year.

I don't disagree that we are in a great position relative to the last 7 years however we are still a championship team, if we were sitting level or 3 points behind Sevco then it may be a different story about the crowds.

I don't think there is anything more that LD and the team can do right now, the only thing that will increase crowds would be promotion followed by top six finishes so it's going to take time.

I simply don't think we should be worried about our crowds yet, they will come back as long as we keep moving forward but they won't come back in this league unless we are title material.

Let's see the ticket rush if we make a cup final this year.
    I personally don't care about making a cup final again til we are back up. Said that from the minute we went down.
    And if we don't get promoted this season I really do fear the worst....

Nobody wants to look at the **** in gorgie! But they are our rivals who we hate the most and we have to be competing with them off the pitch in the stands and on the pitch.
    Can I refer you back to what you said in your post #14 where you said "look at Hearts"?

Hibs will be competing with them off the pitch, in the stands, and on the pitch when Hibs are promoted to the Premier league.

Oh, bye the way, you didn't answer my question.

Can I refer you back to what you said in your post #14 where you said "look at Hearts"?

Hibs will be competing with them off the pitch, in the stands, and on the pitch when Hibs are promoted to the Premier league.

Oh, bye the way, you didn't answer my question.
    Yeah that was a reply to someone saying they don't care about hearts. I was merely stating that I hate them too but we have to compete with them so we have to take notice. I probably hate them more than most due to personal reasons!

What did I not answer?

I personally don't care about making a cup final again til we are back up. Said that from the minute we went down.
    And if we don't get promoted this season I really do fear the worst....
    I wouldn't care either but that wasn't the point, the point is that there would be a ticket scramble and that would show that there are loads of fair weather fans out there, the same ones who attended when we were challenging for Europeans places, the same ones who will be back in the future when we are back in that position.

It's only natural that we have less folk watching us play Alloa and Dumbarton than Aberdeen and Dundee United and if we don't get promoted this year then you can bet our crowds will be down even more.

I'm not saying I agree with people not backing the team because I'm not and I have been attending a lot more this year because I share the sentiment of you and others but as much as I want more people to attend I don't believe they will unless we get back to top six of the top league.

It just seems there is a feeling that we have lost these fans for good when I'm not convinced that's true.

I wouldn't care either but that wasn't the point, the point is that there would be a ticket scramble and that would show that there are loads of fair weather fans out there, the same ones who attended when we were challenging for Europeans places, the same ones who will be back in the future when we are back in that position.

It's only natural that we have less folk watching us play Alloa and Dumbarton than Aberdeen and Dundee United and if we don't get promoted this year then you can bet our crowds will be down even more.

I'm not saying I agree with people not backing the team because I'm not and I have been attending a lot more this year because I share the sentiment of you and others but as much as I want more people to attend I don't believe they will unless we get back to top six of the top league.

It just seems there is a feeling that we have lost these fans for good when I'm not convinced that's true.
    I get your point totally.

Just annoys me that people come out for a big game that really doesn't matter, but when it matters weekly nobody turns up.

Yeah that was a reply to someone saying they don't care about hearts. I was merely stating that I hate them too but we have to compete with them so we have to take notice. I probably hate them more than most due to personal reasons!

What did I not answer?
    The bit in bold - that would be me then. You first introduced "look at Hearts" in response to my post #12.

You didn't answer my question which was as follows:

What do you suggest will make the Hibs supporters "start taking some responsibility"? What is your plan for getting 15,000 home fans through the gates at ER every week?

The bit in bold - that would be me then. You first introduced "look at Hearts" in response to my post #12.

You didn't answer my question which was as follows:

What do you suggest will make the Hibs supporters "start taking some responsibility"? What is your plan for getting 15,000 home fans through the gates at ER every week?
    Well I don't think there is anymore the club can do. I feel the club has done their bit which is why I now attend when I can. I just wish other people would do this as well.

It's over to us now and us fans aren't doing our bit imo.