hibs.net Messageboard

Hibernian History Day 50

Season 1924-25

Hibs continued their search for a better ground, but they agree a 25-year lease for Easter Road at £250 per year and decided to redevelop the ground. They partially levelled the slope and moved the pitch 40 yards sideways, they opened a new stand at the stadium which incorporated changing rooms (an innovation for the time). The total cost was £20,000. While the work was ongoing (it was held up due to a builders strike), Hibs played their ‘Home’ games at Tynecastle on Friday evenings. Much of the money was raised via a debenture. The new ground capacity was 45,000 with 4,200 seated.

13th September, Hibs opened their renovated ground in a game against Queen’s Park; Hibs won 2-0 in front of a crowd of 25,000.

May, Hibs finished the league in third place. They also won the Rosebery Bowl and beat Hearts in the finals of the East of Scotland Shield and Wilson Cup.

Season results –
    Scottish Cup 1st round
    League Div1 3/20 Pld38 W22 D8 L8 F78 A43 Pts52

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Never knew that about the ground . I once got an old picture of the ground off Pat Stantons Mother , when I was working in her house . The small main stand was where the East now is .No sure what the year was but maybe that could have been the stand from your post .[ IT was a small stand ]

GGTTH
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by erin go bragh View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Never knew that about the ground . I once got an old picture of the ground off Pat Stantons Mother , when I was working in her house . The small main stand was where the East now is .No sure what the year was but maybe that could have been the stand from your post .[ IT was a small stand ]

GGTTH
    I would have thought it was the old West / Main Stand at that date. I also thought it was widely believed that the building of the stand (knocked down to be replaced by the new West in 2001) was paid for using funds raised from the sale of Willie Harper to Arsenal.