hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member

would a bonus point system work in football

Watching the RWC and the bonus point system they use can really make big changes the outcomes of the groups.

The bonus point system offers extra to both winners and losers - you get an extra point for scoring 4 or more tries and even the loser gets a point if they are within one converted try - 7 points...

This encourages both teams to attack - even if you are losing...to try to get to within (say) one goal...

I know football is not up for big changes...but might be interesting....

what do people think?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Not for me. Go out and score more than you concede and you get the goal difference bonus anyway.

I would like to see a scenario where they do away with draws and after 90 minutes it goes to a shoot out. I remember the old NASL used to do a 10 second challenge instead of penalties to decide winners.

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Watching the RWC and the bonus point system they use can really make big changes the outcomes of the groups.

The bonus point system offers extra to both winners and losers - you get an extra point for scoring 4 or more tries and even the loser gets a point if they are within one converted try - 7 points...

This encourages both teams to attack - even if you are losing...to try to get to within (say) one goal...

what do people think?
    This was the thinking when they changed the rules to make it 3 points for a win instead if 2.

No. Leave it as it is.

No. Overly complicated for football. They can't work out a sensible offside rule. Imagine the mess they"d make of this.

Would be interesting to use the league cup to experiment with rule changes. It could make quite an exciting cup group stage.

@hibs.net private member eastterrace's Avatar

what do people think?
    just as well we dont have that at the moment as der hun would be even further ahead. but its a good idea in the rugby world cup tho.

Don't watch rugby but at work were taking about changes you would make to football. One being 0 points for a nil nil. Point for a score draw. Extra point if you win and scored more than 3/4 goals.

I'd do away with the offside rule for the last 20 mins of every game 😁

Coaching Staff

what do people think?
    I think nothing good comes from watching that guff.

No, but we should look into the way they ref the game different class

@hibs.net private member eastterrace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    I think nothing good comes from watching that guff.
    the atmosphere at some of the big games is fantastic, you should give it a try. the wales england game was pure theatre even tho i dont know all the rules it was great to watch.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    The better teams would just be even further ahead.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    0-0 draw should be no points IMO, way better to see teams going for it.

How about simply 4 points for an away win and 0 points for 0-0 draw, this would force teams to play instead of shutting up shop every time they play a bigger team away.

I think the three points for a win and one for a draw is likely the best system. The table doesn't lie and too many draws will kill a team that was ts to contend. On a similar line my change of choice would be getting rid of away goals in two legged comps. The logic was sound but the reality is it causes such defensive football. Better a straight up aggregate shootout imo.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Home loss by any number of goals - no points
    Home draw - 1 point
    Home win by any number of goals - 3 points
    Away loss by 3 goals or more - no points
    Away loss by 1 goal - 1 point
    Away draw - 2 points
    Away win by 1 goal - 3 points
    Away win by 3 goals or more - 4 points

Works in speedway.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    Home loss by any number of goals - no points
    Home draw - 1 point
    Home win by any number of goals - 3 points
    Away loss by 3 goals or more - no points
    Away loss by 1 goal - 1 point
    Away draw - 2 points
    Away win by 1 goal - 3 points
    Away win by 3 goals or more - 4 points

Works in speedway.
    That sounds interesting to me ...

@hibs.net private member
    No. Leave it as it is. All this extra points is nonsense. Also suggesting 0 points for a 0-0 draw? That's even worse.

Rugby is dreadful. That's why they have all those silly points systems.

Testimonial Due
    As long as this is a hypothetical thread; why not just play till someone scores. Or perhaps 0 points for a draw.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: toomanydjs
    I dont think 0 points for a 0-0 draw is a bad idea. Some 0-0's can be exciting, but often its because at least one team has just come and shut up shop to get something. Its hardly great viewing watching 10-11 men camped out on the edge of their box for 90 minutes (for either set of fans).

There are probably far more pressing matters however, with current refereeing being one of them!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    No. Leave it as it is. All this extra points is nonsense. Also suggesting 0 points for a 0-0 draw? That's even worse.

Rugby is dreadful. That's why they have all those silly points systems.
    Rugby is moving with the times and changing to try and make things more exciting. I'm not a huge fan but the idea of making things more exciting in football is something that has to be looked at, especially here where fans drift away in their hundreds every season.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Rugby is moving with the times and changing to try and make things more exciting. I'm not a huge fan but the idea of making things more exciting in football is something that has to be looked at, especially here where fans drift away in their hundreds every season.
    Yes rugby is trying to be more exciting. Football doesn't need to as it isn't criminally dull at all levels.

We're essentially comparing the world cup of rugby to scottish football's second tier and wondering why we come off worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Antwerphibs View Post
    Yes rugby is trying to be more exciting. Football doesn't need to as it isn't criminally dull at all levels.

We're essentially comparing the world cup of rugby to scottish football's second tier and wondering why we come off worse.
    I don't see why this conversation should be limited to us and our situation? Why wouldn't all of football benifit from a bonus points system?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Antwerphibs View Post

It's a discussion about whether a revamp of the points system would help football in general - it wasn't anything to do with us or the division we are in.....

First Team Breakthrough Mathias Jack's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: GazA1875
    Quote Originally Posted by Thegreenside View Post
    No, but we should look into the way they ref the game different class
    Amen, I've been saying to some pals for ages. I'm not saying scrutinise every decision, the pace of football is what makes it exciting.

More to do with the captain; get him more involved in the responsibility for his players. Works a treat in rugby, the odd scrap does occur, but it's no worse than what was seen at Stamford Bridge the other week against Arsenal.

Part of what is great about football is the art of defending. There is great merit in getting a clean sheet so it would be ridiculous (imo) if you were not to give a point for a 0-0 draw (which might be a very creditable result).

I totally agree with those mentioning the refereeing though - and I think this needs to come from the referees. They bring far too much of it on themselves in football and don't command the respect of the players anything like enough. It is considered to be a good thing when they don't show cards in football - a few yellow and red cards in the first 10 minutes of games for players "answering back" and you'll soon see it disappear.

The culture is all wrong, especially when managers (and players, and fans fwiw) can blame poor results on one refereeing decision instead of several poor decisions by managers or players over the course of a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Part of what is great about football is the art of defending. There is great merit in getting a clean sheet so it would be ridiculous (imo) if you were not to give a point for a 0-0 draw (which might be a very creditable result).

I totally agree with those mentioning the refereeing though - and I think this needs to come from the referees. They bring far too much of it on themselves in football and don't command the respect of the players anything like enough. It is considered to be a good thing when they don't show cards in football - a few yellow and red cards in the first 10 minutes of games for players "answering back" and you'll soon see it disappear.

The culture is all wrong, especially when managers (and players, and fans fwiw) can blame poor results on one refereeing decision instead of several poor decisions by managers or players over the course of a game.
    Totally agree but where do we get these referees that command respect?