hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Aberdeen's Title challenge

What is the financial position of Aberdeen? Will they be able to withstand bids for players like McGinn etc in January if Celtic try to do what they did to Dundee Utd last season? Anyone know?

Personally I'm loving it; no big fan of Aberdeen but watching the way they play this is definitely the best opportunity for a non old firm title in 30 years. 1986 rings a bell but I can't remember what happened exactly...

2. Log in to remove the advert

Celtic will win the league by 10 points. Once they are kicked out of Europe by Xmas they will kick on. They can spend big in January too.

Its a tough task for Aberdeen to keep up with Sellik's strength in depth .....but if they are still in front in January and sell anybody to the smellies the fans will burn down the stadium, no matter what the clubs finances.

Celtic currently crushing Dundee though and that is Aberdeen's biggest problem .... they are not going to go the whole season unbeaten and it would help if some of the other clubs could step up to the bloody plate and at least force a few draws out of Celtic.
    Last edited by NAE NOOKIE; 20-09-2015 at 04:02 PM.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CB_NO3 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Celtic will win the league by 10 points. Once they are kicked out of Europe by Xmas they will kick on. They can spend big in January too.
    Celtc will miss Griffiths for his goals for a good bit when he appears infront of the SFA beaks this week for singing that song, and to boot a few games ban for dissing the referee after the Aberdeen game, could be double figures.

@hibs.net private member R'Albin's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Razza96
    Quote Originally Posted by CB_NO3 View Post
    Part of me thinks this, but it's worth bearing in mind that Aberdeen went about 25 games unbeaten in the SPL against everyone other than Celtic at the end of last season. If they produce a similar run Celtic will really have a task on their hands - especially with such a poor management team.

Celtic will win the title by at least 10 points.

Left by mutual consent! Stuarty27's Avatar
    Ryan Jack looks like some player. Think they may struggle to keep ahold of him

Nameless
    Left by mutual consent!
    Aberdeen will win the league by at least 10 points.

While I am no Aberdeen fan it is brilliant for Scottish football if Celtic are crushed. Gives hope to everyone and makes it a bit more interesting. Good luck to the Dons- just not next Wednesday!

No danger they'll sell anyone key to their push this season. I actually fully believe one of their strengths is squad unity and they all buy into McInnes and believe they can do it this year. So unless they're 10/15 points behind in January then I can't see any Aberdeen player actually wanting to leave for Celtic this season. Maybe next summer but that's a different story.

Lets hope the sheep aren't on fire on Wednesday.

Left by mutual consent!
    Celtic currently crushing Dundee though and that is Aberdeen's biggest problem .... they are not going to go the whole season unbeaten and it would help if some of the other clubs could step up to the bloody plate and at least force a few draws out of Celtic.[/QUOTE]

They certainly have a better chance than Celtic going unbeaten.

Was Aberdeens debt not written off recently?

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Was Aberdeens debt not written off recently?
    Yeah, some wealthy couple from up that way done it.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    The Donald family

So good crowds and all monies going towards squad.

Lets hope the sheep aren't on fire on Wednesday.
    Hope they rest their first team and put out their u23 team.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    Its a tough task for Aberdeen to keep up with Sellik's strength in depth .....but if they are still in front in January and sell anybody to the smellies the fans will burn down the stadium, no matter what the clubs finances.

Celtic currently crushing Dundee though and that is Aberdeen's biggest problem .... they are not going to go the whole season unbeaten and it would help if some of the other clubs could step up to the bloody plate and at least force a few draws out of Celtic.
    If Aberdeen are still in front in January, the SMSM will sit itself and repeat what it did for the Hun re Scott Allan - in that way it's truly unbiased - as long as either of the 'Old Sum' win, it's happy !!

Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post

Why ? Have we sunk that low we are afraid of Aberdeen ? Bring them on I say, will be a good test of just how far we have come/have yet to go.

Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    Hopefully they'll come down on Wednesday full of complacency, since they're playing a Championship side, and we hit them with the sucker punch.

First domestic defeat of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Auld Git View Post
    Why ? Have we sunk that low we are afraid of Aberdeen ? Bring them on I say, will be a good test of just how far we have come/have yet to go.
    It's not being afraid, it's being realistic. I go into Wednesday's game knowing we're facing arguably the best team in Scotland at the moment, while we struggled to bury Livingston yesterday. I think we'll give them a good game but if we lose I won't exactly be surprised or annoyed.

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trig View Post
    Hopefully they'll come down on Wednesday full of complacency, since they're playing a Championship side, and we hit them with the sucker punch.

First domestic defeat of the season.
    It would be a massive boost for us if we win. Won't be too disappointed if we don't though. As long as we give a good account of ourselves I'd cope with us leaving the league cup.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    It would be a massive boost for us if we win. Won't be too disappointed if we don't though. As long as we give a good account of ourselves I'd cope with us leaving the league cup.

Same sentiments but the league is more important, wee cup run is nice but not a priority.

Few people getting a bit carried away I think.

Aberdeen look a good team but i can't see teams queuing up to buy their players. McGinn, Rooney and Goodwillie have already failed down south and the likes of Ryan Jack just isn't that great.

Hopefully they can run Celtic close but overall there's a big drop in standards in Scotland from say 5 years ago.

I think Hibs can certainly give them a good game on Wednesday

Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    Totally.

I don't expect us to win on Wednesday night, we're going to be facing a huge step up in quality from what we've been used to every week, over the last year or so.

Aberdeen will be massive favourites to win and rightly so. I'm just looking forward to watching a game where the opposition won't be sitting in and putting ten men behind the ball for 90 minutes for a change.

It might not end up in our favour but it will be nice to see because watching these sorts of games every week in the Championship are soul destroying.
    Last edited by Sir David Gray; 20-09-2015 at 05:55 PM.

I will be very surprised if Celtic don't win the title. They absolutely massacred Dundee today, even missing a penalty.

The sheep will put in a challenge, but Celtic have more strength in depth, financial clout, and know how to win a title.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Same sentiments but the league is more important, wee cup run is nice but not a priority.
    all about the league J.

Quote Originally Posted by Trig View Post
    Totally.

I don't expect us to win on Wednesday night, we're going to be facing a huge step up in quality from what we've been used to every week, over the last year or so.

Aberdeen will be massive favourites to win and rightly so. I'm just looking forward to watching a game where the opposition won't be sitting in and putting ten men behind the ball for 90 minutes for a change.

It might not end up in our favour but it will be nice to see because watching these sorts of games every week in the Championship are soul destroying.
    great chance for our players to show what they can do against a good team.

I do think that Aberdeen will sit in at the start and hope to hit us on the break. Then they sit in with a vengeance.

Best chance for us is an early goal and we can't afford to throw away chances like we did yesterday.

If we get in front we can hit them on the break.

Im confident that we can give Aberdeen a decent game. Hearts are probably slightly better personel wise from last season, but so are we. Head to head last season we always matched Hearts. If Aberdeen come into this game a little less focused than for a league match, we have players capable of giving them problems. I just hope they don't grab some early goals. If we think its hard to break down Alloa etc, I can imagine we'll find it tough to chase a game vs the Dons.

Hibs to score first, goes to extra time, Hibs win on pens…