hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member offshorehibby's Avatar

Development team v Hamilton

HALF-TIME: Hamilton Academical Development Squad 0 #Hibs Development Squad 0

Development Squad starting line-up: Brennan, Dunsmore, Forster, D. McGregor, Donaldson, Watson, Martin, Stanton, Duthie, Feruz, Shaw

substitutes: Clements, J. McGregor, Stirling, Waugh, Scott, Breen, Murray
    TOP CASH BACK
    The easy way to make money

2. Log in to remove the advert

Feruz scores first but Hamilton equalise just after

2-1 Hamilton
    TOP CASH BACK

For goodness sake. Only a few days after Corbyn is elected as president and we're being forced to field develop Islam at the expense of a player eligible for our country.

Sickening.

;)

No Insall?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No Insall?

There's probably roughly 44.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    No Insall?

Or Anier, surely must need the match fitness. Unless...

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    Or Anier, surely must need the match fitness. Unless...
    Strange thing is he was with Estonia team last week. So you would expect he is match fit

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan69 View Post
    Strange thing is he was with Estonia team last week. So you would expect he is match fit
    Did he not come home early from international duty.

FT 2-1
    TOP CASH BACK

Left by mutual consent!
    Bring back James McDonaugh

ok to laugh, I suppose but surely a win is what is needed against the 2nd string of a lower SPL team? we know where we are , but have more of a budget than the likes of the club that just beat us, naw?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by monktonharp View Post
    ok to laugh, I suppose but surely a win is what is needed against the 2nd string of a lower SPL team? we know where we are , but have more of a budget than the likes of the club that just beat us, naw?
    We have quite a young under 20s side this season (though I see we did play 3 over age players tonight), there's a few 17 year olds, and some players coming from the age group below to play in the 20s too. We're also missing Jordan Sinclair (dislocated shoulder) as well as Conner Duthie and Lewis Allan who were regulars last season. Don't know what's happened to Callum Crane though.

Hamilton have a very good young side. Don't let them fool you just cause they're not a fashionable side so to speak.

These games are about development not winning.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Twiglet View Post
    We have quite a young under 20s side this season (though I see we did play 3 over age players tonight), there's a few 17 year olds, and some players coming from the age group below to play in the 20s too. We're also missing Jordan Sinclair (dislocated shoulder) as well as Conner Duthie and Lewis Allan who were regulars last season. Don't know what's happened to Callum Crane though.
    Think Calum broke his metatarsal against Celtic a few weeks ago

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    Which is wrong in a way. It should be built into the youth players to win every game to get that winning mentality. McGeouch said that as a youth at Celtic they were expected to win every game

Not for me. Its alright for kids football but by this stage win, win, win should be getting built into them everyday.

@hibs.net private member woodythehibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    Not for me. Its alright for kids football but by this stage win, win, win should be getting built into them everyday.
    Agree to some extent but we have had winning sides in the past at this level with nobody really being ready at first team level afterwards i.e Sammy, Boozy, Ross Caldwell.

U20s should be about developing their game and body so that they are better prepared for the step up.

Footballers should naturally have that winning mentality anyways.

I understand that we have younger players in the team and that development is a key part of the process. But I had commented on another thread about the fact we had gone from winning games at this level to losing most of them now and wondered what the reasons we're ,which has partly been explained .
    But a bit of me thinks it can't be that great Turning out week in and week out ,and getting beat .and at some point you would think that could start to impact on squad morale ,and isn't great for confidence .
    However we had the hoodo over hearts at this and other younger age groups for a while and very few of those players broke through into first team So be interesting to see how this crop fairs over the next three to four years .

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: toomanydjs
    How important is winning for those teams though? Weve had very successful youth teams in the recent past, yet the first team hasnt really had any benefit from that. I think how the team is performing is irrelevant if we are bringing through 1 or 2 players of a higher standard than before.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by S4uzee View Post
    Which is wrong in a way. It should be built into the youth players to win every game to get that winning mentality. McGeouch said that as a youth at Celtic they were expected to win every game
    Absolutely correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    Absolutely correct.
    Its not...its about developing individual players so they can make the step up to the full squad. Oli Shaw, Scott Martin, Dunsmore. If the individuals improve enough to step up then the dev team has worked, and it really doesnt matter if they lose every single game.

Should players want to win games....of course they should. But its not the development coaches job to ensure they win games.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by S4uzee View Post
    Yes and no, obviously winning menataility is important, however, development games and the set up are to ensure players are ready for the first team. That might mean not winning development games if certain things are being tried or we are playing players that aren't quite fit or sharp enough or possibly aren't going to commit everything because they are trying to be fit enough for the first team.

I know they have a bit of a following in themselves but results are not important at all. We've had decent teams in the past at that level who have gone on to achieve nothing. We need to change the way we ae getting players ready for the first team. If that means results at that level suffer then that doesn't matter at all.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Yes and no, obviously winning menataility is important, however, development games and the set up are to ensure players are ready for the first team. That might mean not winning development games if certain things are being tried or we are playing players that aren't quite fit or sharp enough or possibly aren't going to commit everything because they are trying to be fit enough for the first team.

I know they have a bit of a following in themselves but results are not important at all. We've had decent teams in the past at that level who have gone on to achieve nothing. We need to change the way we ae getting players ready for the first team. If that means results at that level suffer then that doesn't matter at all.
    Spot on Andy. I think the way wee Scotty Martin has come in and not looked out of place is a testament to how things are going now, he always seems like he knows where he should be and isn't drawn into the headless chicken style of play that comes with a lot of young players.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post

We had a development team a few years back that won the double, where are all those players now?

It's important to get a balance, winning is very important but development is even more so, we've been blessed with a lot of very good players coming through the ranks in recent years, some have looked very good Stanton, Handling and Harris but as we've seen they were not physically ready for the 1st team football.
    Last edited by J-C; 17-09-2015 at 09:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cod Boy View Post
    From grass roots level it seems to be win at all costs.Coaches more intrested in winning cups and league's I hear folk saying my ladies team won 12.0 at the weekend are boasting about it.
    That's nonsense. Most teams I come across are trying to do things the right way. Until the age of 12 there are no leagues or cups to play for.
    After that the Pro clubs have taken the best players away anyway. Do you want the rest of the lads not to play competitively even though they are outside the system? Playing for a team in a league, trying to win each week, playing for cups etc is a great way to spend your youth.

Quote Originally Posted by Twiglet View Post
    Duthie played last night as he is on a development loan so can play in our development team

While I'm not losing any sleep over the development team losing again - the results this season for this team have been poor.

My concern is that not winning games can affect morale and development.

I understand with youth football it's not about winning till around 12 upwards but a competitive mindset has to be installed into these players.

If they aren't developing this mindset then what chance do they have when they are under pressure for the 1st team.

This club has been full of weak mentality the last few years and while maybe only 1 or 2 may make it to the first team out of this group we need a culture of winners.

I just hope the coaches are installing that as they games I've seen the development team play I can't see where our next good youngster is coming from - don't get me started on the lack of good goalies - this should be a priority of the academy as it's been far too long since one was anywhere near the 1st team.

But its not the development coaches job to ensure they win games.

If there is a coach alive that can "ensure" a team can win at any level then he's welcome to Stubb's post.

Has anyone thought Hamilton and any other team that had beaten the Development Squad recently proably just deserved to win the game.

We have a young squad there, I'm sure as they 'develop' results will improve.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Its not...its about developing individual players so they can make the step up to the full squad. Oli Shaw, Scott Martin, Dunsmore. If the individuals improve enough to step up then the dev team has worked, and it really doesnt matter if they lose every single game.

Should players want to win games....of course they should. But its not the development coaches job to ensure they win games.
    The progression of "young" players to the first team has hardly been a success story for a good number of years now and the ones that do make the breakthrough have not been able to impose themselves for any sustainable length of time. They seem to be lacking in confidence and unwilling to take risks.

There's something wrong somewhere I'd suggest.