hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Final Whistle Behaviour

What should we expect from our players once the final whistle is blown?

It has been commented in previous threads that Feruz and Malonga disappear down the tunnel without acknowledging the fans come the final whistle, while other players spend time clapping the fans.

If I was Leanne from a marketing/commercial stance, I would hope that the players spent a few precious seconds/minutes bonding with the customers, whether they wanted to or not.

I imagine from a players' perspective I would want to build a good rapport with the fans too and be liked.

From a fans' point of view, irrespective of the result/performance, I would expect the players to come over and give a thumbs-up and a clap.

Thoughts?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Couldn't care less as long as we win.

I think sometimes as fans were are critical of over analysing everything.

Players similar to fans play off there motions and the type of game etc it is.

Some players are grateful and understand a fans point of view and go clap them at every game.

Some players head straight down the tunnel, this could be for a number of reasons.

Feruz for example has had alot of comments about him this week about the car incident and then after the game some people judging him on 20 minutes saying they expected more and for him to have a massive impact like he is the messiah.

Perhaps feruz wasn't too happy with his performance as he wanted to come on and show everyone he was the real deal so when the whistle went he was disappointed and just went down the tunnel.

As long as they are playing well, getting victories and are respectful about the club I don't care if they clap.

Fans at the game will care about the club more than 99% of the squad, but I bet you every fans doesn't clap at the end of the game.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Marketing/Comnercial stance? A step too far if you ask me, I couldn't care less what they do.

I'm normally off as soon as the final whistle goes so wouldn't know what happens. So long as we get three points that the main thing.

Whilst I admire much about the Bundeslegia (sp) I cannot stand how the players all run up to their fans at the end of every game, sometimes holding hands in a line and doing the German equivalent of a "ronny roar". It's orchestrated crap and means nothing to anyone with more than two correctly functioning brain cells. Someone wants to clap the fans, then fine, but it's also fine if they head off down the tunnel as far as I'm concerned.

When we win, I like to see the likes of Fontaine and McGeouch go round the pitch and applaud the fans.

If we've lost, I couldn't care less what happens.

I like it when they stay and appluad the fans. Makes it seem like they care more.
    I liked how robertson always stayed on the pitch and applauded. He seemed to really care and sadly in most cases he was having to apologise for a pish team performance.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    If the crowds drop any further they'll be able to come round and thank us personally.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Couldn't care less as long as we win.
    Spot on!

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    To turn this around...

In the name of bonding should the fans roundly clap every performance whether they wish to abstain or not?
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Half the stadium leaves with 5 mins to go anyway. I think we should clap them on their way. ;-)

We need much more honesty in football, not less, so forcing the players to play up to the fans in some show of false loyalty/affection is cringeworthy. Would much sooner they concentrate on giving 100% and winning the game.

Dont know about all that but one idea I've had for a while is that any unused subs should go down to the FF lower for about 10 mins after the game and sign autographs, get pictures took with the kids and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Diet View Post

It has been commented in previous threads that Feruz and Malonga disappear down the tunnel without acknowledging the fans come the final whistle, while other players spend time clapping the fans.

If I was Leanne from a marketing/commercial stance, I would hope that the players spent a few precious seconds/minutes bonding with the customers, whether they wanted to or not.

I imagine from a players' perspective I would want to build a good rapport with the fans too and be liked.

From a fans' point of view, irrespective of the result/performance, I would expect the players to come over and give a thumbs-up and a clap.

Thoughts?

On the other hand Malonga climbed in to the crowd in the East Stand at half time to allow a lot of kids to take selfies with him. Doesn't make him a bad person.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyAsHellas View Post
    Whilst I admire much about the Bundeslegia (sp) I cannot stand how the players all run up to their fans at the end of every game, sometimes holding hands in a line and doing the German equivalent of a "ronny roar". It's orchestrated crap and means nothing to anyone with more than two correctly functioning brain cells. Someone wants to clap the fans, then fine, but it's also fine if they head off down the tunnel as far as I'm concerned.
    Couldn't disagree more.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    We need much more honesty in football, not less, so forcing the players to play up to the fans in some show of false loyalty/affection is cringeworthy. Would much sooner they concentrate on giving 100% and winning the game.
    You could say that about any activity that's designed to raise support / profile / atmosphere / spirits, in any sphere of human endeavour, where it's lacking: it's all fake. It can have tangible results, though, which is why it's done. Perhaps, in our case, a wee bit less 'honesty', and a bit more 'let's get on with it, and try and make this more positive / fun', might improve things a bit. Would it hurt?

Quote Originally Posted by ahibby View Post
    On the other hand Malonga climbed in to the crowd in the East Stand at half time to allow a lot of kids to take selfies with him. Doesn't make him a bad person.
    Ah that's where he went...from my seat in the East I thought her been called in early to come on second half then he reappeared again!

Class act from big Dom!!!

GGTTH

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar

Thoughts?

He has played 20 mins for Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by hibs0666 View Post
    Couldn't disagree more.
    This.

Is it hell orchestrated crap, more a genuine appreciation for the effort and support the fans gave the team.

I was at Hertha Berlin v Leverkusen a few months back. It was a Tuesday night, about minus 3 degrees, Leverkusen fans had 1000km round trip and won the game 1-0 and moved towards a champions league spot. Hertha were rank rotten and slipped near the relegation zone. Every Bayer Leverkusen player, coaches, the whole bench was upto their fans at the end of the game high five'ing them, giving the fans their jerseys etc.

At the other end of the stadium the Herta captain appeared to make his players stand in front of the "Ostkurve" which was rammed with about 8000 fanatics and sit their, take the abuse and apologise to the fans.

@hibs.net private member Kojock's Avatar

Thoughts?

I think its disrespectful for fans to leave before the end of the performance. Everyone should be made to remain in their seat and applaud the team leaving the pitch regardless of the result. The players have done their best to put on a good show and we should at least acknowledge that fact.

@hibs.net private member Liam89's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyAsHellas View Post
    Remember when Colin Calderwood tried to implement that?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    If the crowds drop any further they'll be able to come round and thank us personally.
    Boom boom!

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam89 View Post
    Remember when Colin Calderwood tried to implement that?
    Aye it lasted one game.

Personally I like it when the players stay on for a wee bit to acknowledge the fans ... even if its just for turning up. I don't see anything wrong with a bit of bonding between us and them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    Personally I like it when the players stay on for a wee bit to acknowledge the fans ... even if its just for turning up. I don't see anything wrong with a bit of bonding between us and them.
    It also gives the fans the opportunity to constructively boo a standing target, without the distraction and frustration of culprits running around pretending they don't hear you.

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    Half the stadium leaves with 5 mins to go anyway. I think we should clap them on their way. ;-)
    I saw that happen once during the Butcher era - the person leaving then squared up to the guy and told him that he pays his money, he can leave when he wants

When I used to play competitive football I was so obsessed with winning that, if we had lost, I would be so angry I would have been completely unable to think about clapping the fans at the end of a game. I would have been straight back to the dressing room to have a rant at myself and everything.

Not sure whether or not that's a good attitude and possibly a little immature but I don't think I could have been accused of lacking commitment to the team.

It's probably good manners to clap the fans and it's nice to see but if the players have shown the right attitude on the pitch I'm not that bothered what they do at full-time.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    we should sing "we can see you sneaking out". i sit near the stairs in the east and it hampers my viewing for the last few minutes...why is everyone in such a rush.

@hibs.net private member
    Home games couldn't care...I quite like it when we play away...recognition that we too have made an effort.