hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marvin bartley

Prediction League Supremo - 05/06 MB62's Avatar

Marvin bartley

Half way through the first half, the guy at my back comments, 'why are we playing Bartley at home against Alloa, sitting in front of the defence'?

I have to say, I actually agreed with the guy and found it strange that the one game I thought Bartley should have played that position was at hunbrox, where he didn't play.

However, I have to say, I thought big Marv had a great game on Saturday and it is great to see a Hibs player muscling the opposition off the ball rather than the other way around. At one point in the 2nd half he 'sprinted' from one side of the park over the East stand side to cover for Gray who had been caught up the park, his willingness to do that, for such a big man, was impressive.

He is also not too shabby with the ball at his feet either.

I'm starting to warm to the big man

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by MB62 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Half way through the first half, the guy at my back comments, 'why are we playing Bartley at home against Alloa, sitting in front of the defence'?

I have to say, I actually agreed with the guy and found it strange that the one game I thought Bartley should have played that position was at hunbrox, where he didn't play.

However, I have to say, I thought big Marv had a great game on Saturday and it is great to see a Hibs player muscling the opposition off the ball rather than the other way around. At one point in the 2nd half he 'sprinted' from one side of the park over the East stand side to cover for Gray who had been caught up the park, his willingness to do that, for such a big man, was impressive.

To give him game time, to let him get used to the position, to let the other players see what he brings to the team, to get the team used to playing the formation etc etc etc.

I actually think we need him more in these sort of games than against rangers.

It's against the poorer teams we conceeded awful goals on the break as we neglect our defensive duties and bomb forward.

Against rangers everyone knows there role and is more disciplined so we rarely get get out on the break as we normally sit in.

Bartley stops these soft goals being conceeded imo as he is so well disciplined

@hibs.net private member
    Marvin Bartley is the new Matty Jack!

I've been impressed with Bartley. He stops teams breaking against us, a role gomis performed well for the yams last year. Needed against all teams. Only 3 goals conceded so far this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thought he had a really good game. I still want to see what he;'s like when we play against a team that aren't putting 9 men behind the ball when we play them like Falkirk for example.

Prediction League Supremo - 05/06 MB62's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    I actually think we need him more in these sort of games than against rangers.

It's against the poorer teams we conceeded awful goals on the break as we neglect our defensive duties and bomb forward.

Against rangers everyone knows there role and is more disciplined so we rarely get get out on the break as we normally sit in.

Bartley stops these soft goals being conceeded imo as he is so well disciplined
    Took the words right out my mouth. Last year we dominated so many games only to lose a goal on the break and turn the game on its head.

If having Bartley in the team means we give up one attacking minded player to prevent losing said goals then those games will finish 1,2 or 3 nil rather than trying and often failing to turn it around when we lose a goal against the run of play.

Quote Originally Posted by nellio View Post
    Thought he had a really good game. I still want to see what he;'s like when we play against a team that aren't putting 9 men behind the ball when we play them like Falkirk for example.
    Falkirk put men behind the ball as much as any team last season, to great effect too. We struggled to break them down (other than the 3-3 game) and they seemed to have the measure of us.

As has been alluded to elsewhere, having Bartley in the side allows the other players to bomb forward (the other 3 midfielders and the fullbacks) without him getting in the way.

He's going to be a very important player for us this season in EVERY game.

To those who think we shouldn't play him against the weaker teams - should we just play without the defence and goalkeeper as well?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Falkirk put men behind the ball as much as any team last season, to great effect too. We struggled to break them down (other than the 3-3 game) and they seemed to have the measure of us.

As has been alluded to elsewhere, having Bartley in the side allows the other players to bomb forward (the other 3 midfielders and the fullbacks) without him getting in the way.

He's going to be a very important player for us this season in EVERY game.

To those who think we shouldn't play him against the weaker teams - should we just play without the defence and goalkeeper as well?
    ...and the 0-3 games ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I must have imagined Hibs winning 3-0 at Falkirk last May then?

Looks much better now after looking miles off the bave against Dumbarton in particular.

Think he'll be in the team to stay now.

He plays coz it gives the other 3 much more freedom to attack.

Ok, so we managed to score 3 against them twice (I wasn't at the game at the end of last season so had forgotten about it).

My memories of playing Falkirk last season seem to be more about the other 3 games - failing to score in the 90 minutes at ER at the start of the season, failing to score in the 90 minutes away last December and failing to score in 90 minutes in the SC semi-final.

I may be wrong but it felt to me like we made harder work of breaking down Falkirk last year than we did Hearts or Rangers.

I thought Bartley was superb on Saturday.

Broke up play on almost every occasion Alloa ventured forward (admittedly that wasn't many) and was more willing to get forward than I expected when we signed him.

He's in there for a reason and that's to allow Henderson, McGinn and McGeough to go play knowing he will be there to cover. It doesn't matter how poor the opposition is if everyone in the midfield goes tearing forward we will lose silly goals. We have racked up 3 clean sheets in a row at home, poor opposition or otherwise, and that's a good sign.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

I'm getting to the point where I'm enjoying him play as much as the creative players! As others have said he's breaking up the opposition play before we get the opportunity to panic in front of our own goal.

Saw him on twitter saying that was his first shot on goal for 3 years. Bloody good effort, keep having a pop if they're going to be as good as that!

As a team we need to be working their keepers much more, hopefully they'll be getting a sore back picking the ball out the back of the net!

First Team Breakthrough
    Are we yet to concede from open play this season?

Quote Originally Posted by hibee_kane96 View Post
    Are we yet to concede from open play this season?
    In the league? Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Guy's a good signing. Stubbs probably knew there was a problem with that element of the side and once again has made the right call.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

'S' Form
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    Guy's a good signing. Stubbs probably knew there was a problem with that element of the side and once again has made the right call.
    Best game in a Hibs top so far.

THE FIREMAN was putting out the flames all afternoon! Leiths Makalele ;-)

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    Matty jack..wasn't that the guy who used to play the Marvin Bartley role ?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    Matty jack..wasn't that the guy who used to play the Marvin Bartley role ?
    That's him!

He was excellent on Saturday and has performed well in every game he has played in so far. I have to admit I thought he was a shoe in for a start against Sevco at Ibrox ..... if he continues to play like he has and his presence is as effective as it was against Raith Rovers its gonna be hard to leave him out.

Eh, where do you sit?!

He is perhaps my fav player at this time. He is a good physical player and despite being physical he doesn't give away many fouls nor stupid ones. I can't remember him giving away a free kick on Saturday and yet he made his physical presence well felt. Hope he can keep his high standards up. He likes to get forward when he can too. A good side needs at least one player like him.

Both Marvin and David Gray showed a good deal of dig on Saturday, nice to see a his side which is skilful and happy in possession, but also has a physical side. If we had a fit Farid up front to add a bit of physicality at the top of the pitch it would be even better !

Very impressed by the big felly. Liking what i've seen so far.

Love this tweet from him replying to well done messages after the game on saturday:

Thanks for all the kind messages, it means a lot. Delighted to get the win and to also have my first shot for 3 years .

Seems like he is a grounded bloke with a sense of humour..he has also been keeping the dressing room in line..this tweet to Danny Handling:

@DanielHandling Settle down you, tell your pal @MartinBoyle9 I'll be picking him up by his shorts again if he doesn't keep it down

Thought the big man was outstanding today, putting out fires all over the place.

My MOTM

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    Thought the big man was outstanding today, putting out fires all over the place.

My MOTM
    Totally agree