hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Is Anyone Interested in Making/Funding a 'Refugees Welcome' Banner?

There can't be many people who have not been moved by the recent scenes from Syria, Hungary, Calais and many other areas, sadly.

Therefore, some posters on .net would like to join our German counterparts by making a 'Refugees Welcome' (or similar) banner to be displayed at ER a week on Saturday at the Alloa game. *Please note: this is the idea of a group of fans and does not claim to represent the whole support.

IF you would like to be involved by either donating and/or helping to produce the said banner, please advise either on this thread or by PMing Pretty Boy. We will also be looking for volunteers to help make the banner and/or provide space to do so but any other ideas are welcome. Oh, and we also aim to keep costs to a minimum and any excess money raised will be donated to an agreed charity.

If you can't commit financially or with your time outwith match days, volunteers will also be required to help display the banner on the day, so you can still show your support.

For donations, please use the PayPal a/c leithlinks@live.co.uk and clearly state 'banner' or the like

Please respect that this thread is for those interested in helping. Therefore, could I respectfully request that any other comments/opinions are kept for the existing thread on the Holy Ground forum?

Thanks in advance

FS

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Just a suggestion but there are fundraising pages on social media for raising money for caravans and living essentials to ensure that those fleeing Syria have somewhere safe and relatively warm and comfortable to sleep in places like Calais.

I totally understand that the idea of the banner is entirely in the best nature and it's a lovely gesture but might it be better to concentrate entirely on action and assist in these efforts than spend some a percentage of the money on a gesture?

entirely for the sentiment behind this all though.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just a suggestion but there are fundraising pages on social media for raising money for caravans and living essentials to ensure that those fleeing Syria have somewhere safe and relatively warm and comfortable to sleep in places like Calais.

I totally understand that the idea of the banner is entirely in the best nature and it's a lovely gesture but might it be better to concentrate entirely on action and assist in these efforts than spend some a percentage of the money on a gesture?

entirely for the sentiment behind this all though.
    I understand what you are saying but people can already do that of their accord, if they so wish. This is about a section of our support coming together to show solidarity with these desperate souls.

If there is money left over, as previously stated, it will be distributed to a relevant charity

Yes, happy to donate.

I don't want refugees coming here. ....i wish them well though

Left by mutual consent!
    No! But good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by FranckSuzy View Post
    Please respect that this thread is for those interested in helping. Therefore, could I respectfully request that any other comments/opinions are kept for the existing thread on the Holy Ground forum?
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZYHIBBY View Post
    I don't want refugees coming here. ....i wish them well though
    Quote Originally Posted by TheReg! View Post
    No! But good luck.
    Please see above, in bold.....

Anyway, £50 already received

I'd be happy to help. After all, our club was set up by Irish people who were fleeing poverty and starvation.

Got a mate who makes banners - he'd help in any way he could too. Great effort in true Hibernian tradition !

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Clash View Post
    I'd be happy to help. After all, our club was set up by Irish people who were fleeing poverty and starvation.

Got a mate who makes banners - he'd help in any way he could too. Great effort in true Hibernian tradition !

Good man and can you give your mate a shout?

£100 now received

@hibs.net private member RMQ1967's Avatar
    Well done to you all for arranging this

A small token of support for people who are going though unbelievable hardship but hopefully it sends a message to those in power that can make a real difference to the suffering that these families are going through.

My money has been sent - sorry I can't do more.

@hibs.net private member AgentDaleCooper's Avatar
    great idea, especially since, as has been pointed out, our club was started by people fleeing awful hardships in ireland
    Last edited by AgentDaleCooper; 03-09-2015 at 11:01 PM.

Too skint to sent cash unfortunately, but I fully support this

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Small donation sent ..... Excellent idea. Thanks you.

Another donation sent. Well done for organising this.

Very happy to support any cause that shows compassion and empathy with families in distress and suffering.

First Team Breakthrough superbam's Avatar
    Done!

Quote Originally Posted by FranckSuzy View Post
    £100 now received
    It might be worth posting once the cost of the banner has been fully covered, that way all of the folk who think the money can be better spent elsewhere can also donate to the cause as well. Safe in the knowledge that their money hasn't been 'wasted' raising awareness and showing some support.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_Hibee View Post
    It might be worth posting once the cost of the banner has been fully covered, that way all of the folk who think the money can be better spent elsewhere can also donate to the cause as well. Safe in the knowledge that their money hasn't been 'wasted' raising awareness and showing some support.

That's not a bad idea at all.

I'll be having a look into costs over the weekend so will definitely post something up after I have the info.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Commendable- Well Done!

Donation to follow.

@hibs.net private member HiBremian's Avatar
    Donation coming once I'm on the desktop! Think the banner should just say "Refugees Welcome". That's the international football fans' choice ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rather than spending £100s on a banner, why not tap into the those in the support thay could knock this up for pennies and donate the rest...?

Left by mutual consent!
    Donation sent. I will also help raise the banner if needed.

As I suggested on the Holy ground thread, any cash left over (if any) would find a lovely home at the Multi Cultural Family Base in Leith.

Quote Originally Posted by Since1875Hibs View Post
    Rather than spending £100s on a banner, why not tap into the those in the support thay could knock this up for pennies and donate the rest...?
    No one is going to be spending hundreds on a banner.

This is going to be a home made affair compromising a sheet of some kind and some paint. I've already contacted a few people who have a bit experience doing this kind of thing.

I would say that if we have already raised over £100 then the cost of the banner is well covered although I don't want that taken as gospel.

What would be helpful is if anyone could point us in the direction of a space where a few of us could get together and actually do the handiwork, unfortunately my living room is probably a bit small
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    No one is going to be spending hundreds on a banner.

This is going to be a home made affair compromising a sheet of some kind and some paint. I've already contacted a few people who have a bit experience doing this kind of thing.

I would say that if we have already raised over £100 then the cost of the banner is well covered although I don't want that taken as gospel.

What would be helpful is if anyone could point us in the direction of a space where a few of us could get together and actually do the handiwork, unfortunately my living room is probably a bit small
    On the flipside, I'm sure we've all seen banners made in a similar fashion in football crowds before that have been, well, terrible. I'm absolutely certain that the .net art attack squad will make something we can all be proud of, but given as such a banner will - hopefully - get a bit of press coverage, it's important to make sure it looks as good as possible, even if that means calling in the professionals for some aspect(s) of it.

As soon as I've got my PayPal account sorted, I'll donate.

@hibs.net private member Juice-Terry's Avatar
    Well done for doing this. Need more donations?

@hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    Superb effort. I support this. Would be happy to help display it

Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    On the flipside, I'm sure we've all seen banners made in a similar fashion in football crowds before that have been, well, terrible. I'm absolutely certain that the .net art attack squad will make something we can all be proud of, but given as such a banner will - hopefully - get a bit of press coverage, it's important to make sure it looks as good as possible, even if that means calling in the professionals for some aspect(s) of it.

As soon as I've got my PayPal account sorted, I'll donate.
    Indeed and there will be a level of professional help. I've already received an offer of such this morning which is appreciated.

I was just trying to be clear that we won't be spending hundreds getting this made by an 'outside' professional sign making company or whatever. We'll be drawing on the fantastic pool of resources that is hibs.net and the wider Hibs support.

Done.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Remember and spell check and no Grocer apostrophe .

Sent via the bushes @ EM
    Last edited by O'Rourke3; 04-09-2015 at 07:38 AM.

Nameless
    Left by mutual consent!
    I'm appalled by what is happening. I've already given as much as I can to other charities, but I support this. We are watching people starve and drown and suffocate, all in glorious Hi Definition Technicolor. Edinburgh has space for an extra 500,000 people during the festival, FFS these people need to be let in!!