hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2015 US Open

Roger Federer safely through to the last 16 after a straight sets win against Philipp Kohlschreiber.

He now plays John Isner.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Good women's match on just now between Victoria Azarenka and Angelique Kerber.

Very entertaining match.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trig View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good women's match on just now between Victoria Azarenka and Angelique Kerber.

Very entertaining match.
    Watched that as well. Not a great fan of women's tennis but enjoyed that

Murray goes a break down in the third game, I'm away to my pit! :-)

@hibs.net private member GreenLake's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Murray goes a break down in the third game, I'm away to my pit! :-)
    No worries, he just broke back (sorry for the yam inference).

Sad to see Nadal doing so badly in recent times. I wonder if he'll ever rediscover the form that saw him win so many Grand Slam titles five or six years ago.

At the moment, it's not looking likely.
    It's odd because he isn't that old or maybe there are a crop of younger guys getting much better.

Murray serving for the match. He played much better tonight than a couple of days ago.

Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    Watched that as well. Not a great fan of women's tennis but enjoyed that
    Azarenka will be a dangerous opponent over the next couple of rounds, since she's seeded so low just now after recent injuries. It was a really good match and both players were playing really well.

Azarenka plays unseeded Vivara Lepchenko next so you have to imagine she'll win that one. She'll then likely play Simona Halep in the quarter finals which would be an interesting match up.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLake View Post
    It's odd because he isn't that old or maybe there are a crop of younger guys getting much better.
    I don't think that's the reason to be honest. If you look at the list of people who have beaten him this year, most of them are established pros who are around the same age as him and some are even older.

Fabio Fognini - 28 x3
    Feliciano Lopez - 34
    Kei Nishikori - 26
    Dustin Brown - 31
    Alexandr Dolgopolov - 27
    Novak Djokovic - 28 x2
    Stan Wawrinka - 30
    Andy Murray - 28
    Fernando Verdasco - 32
    Milos Raonic - 25
    Tomas Berdych - 30
    Michael Berrer - 35

I think it's a combination of a loss of confidence, opponents gaining in confidence that they can actually beat him now and the strain that his body's taken over the last 10 years or so finally catching up with him.

Nadal's still only 29 so there's still time for him to get back to his best but I highly doubt that he'll be doing what Roger Federer is doing right now when he's 34 years of age.

Murray serving for the match. He played much better tonight than a couple of days ago.
    Excellent result last night and good to get on and off in around 2 hours.

Should beat Kevin Anderson tomorrow as well I would have thought. It will be interesting to see what happens in the quarter finals. He is due to meet the winner of Stan Wawrinka and Donald Young. Normally I would say that Wawrinka would be a certainty to win that one, however Young has been in impressive form this week, coming back from two sets to love down in two of his first three matches against Gilles Simon and Viktor Troicki, who were both seeds.

Wawrinka hasn't lost a set so far, although he has been taken to a tie break in five of the nine sets he has played so far. I think that might be an interesting match and from Murray's point of view, I hope it's another long match.

No worries, he just broke back (sorry for the yam inference).
    Aye, I saw that before I passed out! :-)

Azarenka will be a dangerous opponent over the next couple of rounds, since she's seeded so low just now after recent injuries. It was a really good match and both players were playing really well.

Azarenka plays unseeded Vivara Lepchenko next so you have to imagine she'll win that one. She'll then likely play Simona Halep in the quarter finals which would be an interesting match up.

I don't think that's the reason to be honest. If you look at the list of people who have beaten him this year, most of them are established pros who are around the same age as him and some are even older.

Fabio Fognini - 28 x3
    Feliciano Lopez - 34
    Kei Nishikori - 26
    Dustin Brown - 31
    Alexandr Dolgopolov - 27
    Novak Djokovic - 28 x2
    Stan Wawrinka - 30
    Andy Murray - 28
    Fernando Verdasco - 32
    Milos Raonic - 25
    Tomas Berdych - 30
    Michael Berrer - 35

I think it's a combination of a loss of confidence, opponents gaining in confidence that they can actually beat him now and the strain that his body's taken over the last 10 years or so finally catching up with him.

Nadal's still only 29 so there's still time for him to get back to his best but I highly doubt that he'll be doing what Roger Federer is doing right now when he's 34 years of age.

Excellent result last night and good to get on and off in around 2 hours.

Should beat Kevin Anderson tomorrow as well I would have thought. It will be interesting to see what happens in the quarter finals. He is due to meet the winner of Stan Wawrinka and Donald Young. Normally I would say that Wawrinka would be a certainty to win that one, however Young has been in impressive form this week, coming back from two sets to love down in two of his first three matches against Gilles Simon and Viktor Troicki, who were both seeds.

Wawrinka hasn't lost a set so far, although he has been taken to a tie break in five of the nine sets he has played so far. I think that might be an interesting match and from Murray's point of view, I hope it's another long match.
    I have a friend who is nuts about Nadal and she has been expecting him to return to form for quite some time. She doesn't like Andy Murray so I have been giving her a bit of stick about this. Why do you think Nadal is having trouble keeping his style of play going when Federer is not? Is it the amount of energy required for his vicious top spin? How can a guy like Nadal lose confidence when he has won so much?

I have a friend who is nuts about Nadal and she has been expecting him to return to form for quite some time. She doesn't like Andy Murray so I have been giving her a bit of stick about this. Why do you think Nadal is having trouble keeping his style of play going when Federer is not? Is it the amount of energy required for his vicious top spin? How can a guy like Nadal lose confidence when he has won so much?
    He wastes so much energy constantly pulling his underwear from between his arse cheeks! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    He wastes so much energy constantly pulling his underwear from between his arse cheeks! ;-)
    I will repeat that description when I see my friend. Cheers! lol

His style of play relies a lot more on his stamina and his agility around the court than Federer. Federer appears to exert a lot less energy during his matches and has also never faced any serious injuries during his career, Nadal on the other hand has had a lot of trouble with his knees.

I don't think it's been a sudden loss of confidence, it's something that has happened over quite a long period of time. He hasn't won a Grand Slam or a Masters event for well over a year now and as you can see from my previous post, the sort of people who have managed to beat him this year, others will get confidence that they can beat him too. Four or five years ago, hardly anyone apart from Federer, Djokovic or Murray would have truly believed that they could win a match against Rafael Nadal. Now people are doing it on a regular basis so it will help others in the future.

Once that feeling of invincibility goes, it's not easy to regain.

His style of play relies a lot more on his stamina and his agility around the court than Federer. Federer appears to exert a lot less energy during his matches and has also never faced any serious injuries during his career, Nadal on the other hand has had a lot of trouble with his knees.

I don't think it's been a sudden loss of confidence, it's something that has happened over quite a long period of time. He hasn't won a Grand Slam or a Masters event for well over a year now and as you can see from my previous post, the sort of people who have managed to beat him this year, others will get confidence that they can beat him too. Four or five years ago, hardly anyone apart from Federer, Djokovic or Murray would have truly believed that they could win a match against Rafael Nadal. Now people are doing it on a regular basis so it will help others in the future.

Once that feeling of invincibility goes, it's not easy to regain.
    Your analysis is much better than the guys on ESPN! All they seem to argue about is whether he needs a new coach.

So it will be Williams v Williams on Tuesday in the women's quarter finals.

It will be interesting to see if Venus can stop Serena from winning the calendar year Grand Slam.

@hibs.net private member
    See Murray is 2nd on Louis Armstrong tomorrow. Any idea what time he will be on?

Edit

Just seen on BBC that Murray is expected on court around 8.00pm. Take it that is again the hottest part of the day over there. He has been so unlucky with the draws and it gives me a dilemma as to Scotland Germany or Murray.

Anyway think Murray will win in 4 sets.

Federer to play in the late game after Konta.

Good luck Konta.
    Last edited by PatHead; 07-09-2015 at 04:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    See Murray is 2nd on Louis Armstrong tomorrow. Any idea what time he will be on?

Edit

Just seen on BBC that Murray is expected on court around 8.00pm. Take it that is again the hottest part of the day over there. He has been so unlucky with the draws and it gives me a dilemma as to Scotland Germany or Murray.

Anyway think Murray will win in 4 sets.

Federer to play in the late game after Konta.

Good luck Konta.
    Lisicki and Halep is only early in the second set just now and Lisicki is a set up so if Halep's going to come back, it could be another hour before Murray's on.

There's a heat break at the moment. What a difference in atmosphere between this and Wimbledon! Loud rock music belting out and folk running up and down the stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    There's a heat break at the moment. What a difference in atmosphere between this and Wimbledon! Loud rock music belting out and folk running up and down the stairs.
    It's just not the same.

You can't beat the buzz that you get being on the Centre Court of Wimbledon. I was in awe of the place, the first time I went there.

Murray has just started against Anderson. Nicely timed after the football!

@hibs.net private member
    Anderson getting into this game. Held his serve to love in the last 2 service games.

4-4

@hibs.net private member
    Into a tie break. Anderson is playing well.

@hibs.net private member
    1st set Anderson

Anderson takes the first set on a tie break.

@hibs.net private member
    Not as though Murray is playing badly just can't shake him off.

@hibs.net private member
    Anderson broken Murray now 3 0 in 2nd set. I am a bit worried about Murray here.

Big game for Murray there to come back from 0-30.

Anderson still with the break though at 3-1.

Anderson serving for the second set at 5-1.

Not looking good right now.

@hibs.net private member
    Anderson is doing to Murray what you would expect Murray to do to Anderson.

5 1 Anderson in second set and at this stage I can't see a way back for Murray.

Anderson goes two sets up, winning the second set 6-3.