hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 US Open

2015 US Open

The final Grand Slam of the year begins tomorrow and on day one, Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal are both in action.

Djokovic should be on around 8pm UK time against Joao Souza whilst Nadal will be on around 2am on Tuesday against Borna Coric.

Andy Murray doesn't play until Tuesday but Heather Watson starts tomorrow against Lauren Davis and she begins at 4pm UK time.

Also in the women's draw, Serena Williams is bidding for an historic achievement by becoming the first woman for almost 30 years to complete the calendar Grand Slam by winning all four Grand Slams in 2015.

She begins her tournament at 12am on Tuesday against Vitalia Diatchenko.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member GreenLake's Avatar
    Andy Murray has a tough first game against Nick Kyrgios who along with a half a dozen groupies seems to make a lot more noise than he is worth. I won't be surprised if Kyrgios wears a maroon shirt.

I may have laid a curse on Murray by buying two mens semi finals day tickets. It would obviously be nice to see him play in one of them and maybe too much to hope for.

Murray or not, a trip to New York is always fun and I reserved a table at American Cut in Tribeca to have this steak.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLake View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Andy Murray has a tough first game against Nick Kyrgios who along with a half a dozen groupies seems to make a lot more noise than he is worth. I won't be surprised if Kyrgios wears a maroon shirt.

I may have laid a curse on Murray by buying two mens semi finals day tickets. It would obviously be nice to see him play in one of them and maybe too much to hope for.

Murray or not, a trip to New York is always fun and I reserved a table at American Cut in Tribeca to have this steak.
    It's certainly one of the toughest first round matches Murray could have got considering Kyrgios is just outside the seedings but I don't expect Murray to face too many problems against him.

I can't see too many problems, as always, until the latter stages of the tournament.

He is scheduled to play Stan Wawrinka in the quarter finals, Roger Federer in the semis and then Novak Djokovic in the final. That would be a pretty tough three matches but he should be largely untested up to that point.

Hope you enjoy your trip to the tennis.

@hibs.net private member
    Would love Andy to win this again. Will be hard though as Wawrinka seems to save his best for the majors.

Heather Watson loses the first set in a tiebreak against Lauren Davis.

Heather Watson's search for a first win at the US Open continues as she loses in the first round to Lauren Davis, 7-6 7-6.

@hibs.net private member
    Wonder if she will ever progress now after all these injuries.

@hibs.net private member
    Last year's beaten finalist, Nishikori taken to 5th set.

Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    Wonder if she will ever progress now after all these injuries.
    The glandular fever she had a couple of years ago really set her back.

It's a shame because she had a lot of potential about five or six years ago.

Last year's beaten finalist, Kei Nishikori, is out after losing in five sets to Benoit Paire.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trig View Post
    Last year's beaten finalist, Kei Nishikori, is out after losing in five sets to Benoit Paire.
    Aye he is root a toot. His ranking will suffer after that. Never heard of Paire before

Aye he is root a toot. His ranking will suffer after that. Never heard of Paire before
    Probably won't go much lower than sixth, David Ferrer in seventh is a lot of points behind him but I expect Wawrinka and Berdych to overtake him.

Paire's a very talented guy, currently ranked just outside the top 40 but came close to breaking into the top 20 a couple of years ago.

Certainly think he's capable of reaching top 15 at some stage.

Venus Williams is finally through after three sets against Monica Puig.

Just been confirmed that Andy Murray will play Nick Kyrgios at midnight tomorrow UK time.

I thought that might be the case.

@hibs.net private member
    That be the hottest part of the day?

@hibs.net private member
    Probably won't go much lower than sixth, David Ferrer in seventh is a lot of points behind him but I expect Wawrinka and Berdych to overtake him.

Paire's a very talented guy, currently ranked just outside the top 40 but came close to breaking into the top 20 a couple of years ago.

Certainly think he's capable of reaching top 15 at some stage.
    Ta

That be the hottest part of the day?
    Probably not, it's 7pm New York time so it should be cooler.

Just checked the forecast and it's supposed to be around 26 degrees around that time tomorrow.

Pretty impressive start for Novak Djokovic, winning 6-1 6-1 6-1 against Joao Souza.

@hibs.net private member
    Pretty impressive start for Novak Djokovic, winning 6-1 6-1 6-1 against Joao Souza.
    Blinked and missed it

@hibs.net private member
    If you thought Djoka was quick............

Serena Williams match lasted 37 points! Why do Women get paid the same as men?

Her day got better when all the other players seeded in the top ten in her half of the draw were knocked out.

If you thought Djoka was quick............

Serena Williams match lasted 37 points! Why do Women get paid the same as men?

Her day got better when all the other players seeded in the top ten in her half of the draw were knocked out.
    Absolute nonsense but that's the last I'll speak about that particular subject as the last time that came up, I was accused of being sexist and all the rest of it.

Good to see Johanna Konta is through to the next round along with Aljaz Bedene today, although Laura Robson and James Ward are both out.

Murray begins his tournament in under an hour. I'm hoping to see the first set before going to bed.

Roger Federer looked on top form as well as he made light work of defeating Leonardo Mayer 6-1 6-2 6-2 in little over an hour.

I had to record it as I had an appointment late in the day but I saw the first six games to 3.3 and it looked like it was going to be a close game. Then Murray took the first set, romped the second and now I am watching it at 1.0 to Kyrgios in the 3rd. Looks like it could go the way of Murray with him not being in the least susceptible to Nick's Aussie one man against the world Mad Max type blustering.

Nick looks like he could be a player if he could get the chip off his shoulder.

Kyrgios breaks to go 2.0 up in the 3rd. Could be a turn-a-round.

Murray broke right back without losing a point then won the next service game. Strong Hib's class tennis by Murray.

Kyrgios making too many unforced errors, but nobody hits harder or better shots than him when he gets it right. He is a great talent with the mind of a village idiot at the helm.

Murray up 5.1 in the fourth. Looks like an easy win.

I have to say I'm really impressed with the coverage Sky has of the US Open this year, it's really good with all the eight screens available with different matches to watch and with the news section which comes up every now and again on the main screen with all the latest results and news about certain players.

Top marks.

Andy Murray has just started in his match against Adrian Mannarino.

Slow start for Murray as he loses his serve in the first game - 2-1 to Mannarino so far.

Well done to Johanna Konta who has beaten this year's Wimbledon finalist and 9th seed, Garbine Muguruza, in three sets.

She plays Andrea Petkovic next.

Aljaz Bedene has just taken the first set against Donald Young.

First set to Mannarino, 7-5.

Murray's really struggling to get to grips with this match so far.

@hibs.net private member
    Really getting frustrated at the match. Murray isn't out of 2nd gear.

Like watching Hibs.