hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: QOS sending off

First Team Breakthrough

QOS sending off

Just heard on sportsound that it was the fourth official that instigated the controversial sending off of Derek Lyall of QOS against Rangers. In the Championship fourth officials are only required for televised matches so given that The Rangers will be the "most televised" team in the championship does this constitute the lack of a level playing field ?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! Fife-Hibee's Avatar
    Certainly seems like it :(

well to be fair Warburton has just said that he was only 5 yards away from it and no way was it a sending off at all, but the fact remains, Kiernan wasn't even booked. The game was over after that.

Quote Originally Posted by monarch View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just heard on sportsound that it was the fourth official that instigated the controversial sending off of Derek Lyall of QOS against Rangers. In the Championship fourth officials are only required for televised matches so given that The Rangers will be the "most televised" team in the championship does this constitute the lack of a level playing field ?
    That's actually a good point.

In Championship games where there is a fourth official, they probably shouldn't be allowed to get involved in any decision making since most of the other matches in the league won't have a fourth official.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    well to be fair Warburton has just said that he was only 5 yards away from it and no way was it a sending off at all, but the fact remains, Kiernan wasn't even booked. The game was over after that.
    He must be taken aback by how many things seem to go Rangers' way up here. He isn't used to it.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

That's easy to say when your team's just gone on and taken full advantage of the decision by winning 5-1.

I wonder what his opinion would have been had Lyle not been sent off and Queen of the South had got something out of the match.

Presumably the QOS fans will be organising a petition to have today's referee banned from handling any of their matches in future.

QOS player sent off

Rangers awarded two penalties.

Warburton must be thinking this Management carry on is a doddle nowadays.

Not sure the fact that a fourth official exists in more of their games than in others is necessarily in itself an advantage for them. The official is allowed to give decisions both ways (whether they choose to or not) and might just as easily have picked up on something that a The Rangers player did.

They'd probably argue (as I'm sure the OF did previously when their players seemed to be more regularly retrospectively done for things) that the extra scrutiny is actually a disadvantage.

The fact that an official has the power to melt into the background if they want to avoid the controversy and aggro that goes with giving a decision against the Old Firm most definitely is an advantage though.

Quote Originally Posted by monarch View Post
    Excellent point but unfortunately nothing we can do about it.

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Some IT genius needs to develop software that can analysis a match from say 6 fixed camera angles, one in the centre of each stand and one on each goal line and process the correct decision. Could do away with refs altogether in professional matches and with them the human error factor and accusations of bias.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    Some IT genius needs to develop software that can analysis a match from say 6 fixed camera angles, one in the centre of each stand and one on each goal line and process the correct decision. Could do away with refs altogether in professional matches and with them the human error factor and accusations of bias.
    Wouldn't it be simpler to just ask Robbie Neilson to tell the ref what the right decision is?

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    Wouldn't it be simpler to just ask Robbie Neilson to tell the ref what the right decision is?
    Or bypass him and ask craig levein directly

Yet Kris Boyd got away with it at Ibrox last season when he did the same thing on Foster!
    Maybe the 4th official was tying his lace and never saw it, just like the Moshni punch on Fontaine

Quote Originally Posted by Trig View Post
    That's easy to say when your team's just gone on and taken full advantage of the decision by winning 5-1.

I wonder what his opinion would have been had Lyle not been sent off and Queen of the South had got something out of the match.
    my mistake, he shouldn't have said anything at all after the game about it.

my mistake, he shouldn't have said anything at all after the game about it.
    Who's saying that?

I'm just saying that it's easy for a winning manager to express sympathy for the opposition when they've had a man sent off.

Who's saying that?

I'm just saying that it's easy for a winning manager to express sympathy for the opposition when they've had a man sent off.
    And I'm saying that he was asked about it so obviously he's got to give some answer. Most managers say they didn't see it or something like that, at least he had the honesty to say how it was, regardless of whether they went on to win it.

And I'm saying that he was asked about it so obviously he's got to give some answer. Most managers say they didn't see it or something like that, at least he had the honesty to say how it was, regardless of whether they went on to win it.
    Fair enough, I just think he may have given a different answer if Lyle had stayed on the pitch and Queen of the South had gone on to take something from the match, that's all.

@hibs.net private member Argylehibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Not sure the fact that a fourth official exists in more of their games than in others is necessarily in itself an advantage for them. The official is allowed to give decisions both ways (whether they choose to or not) and might just as easily have picked up on something that a The Rangers player did.

They'd probably argue (as I'm sure the OF did previously when their players seemed to be more regularly retrospectively done for things) that the extra scrutiny is actually a disadvantage.

The fact that an official has the power to melt into the background if they want to avoid the controversy and aggro that goes with giving a decision against the Old Firm most definitely is an advantage though.
    They complained often that they got caught more than anyone else because they were on the telly more. The other way you could look at it though is that referees seemed to miss more of their indiscretions than anyone else's!

Fair enough, I just think he may have given a different answer if Lyle had stayed on the pitch and Queen of the South had gone on to take something from the match, that's all.
    You're quite right mate, sorry, wasn't trying to start an argument, think we were just coming at it from different angles.

The sending off was an utter joke and the first penalty wasn't much better ............ QotS not the team they were last season by the looks of it.

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    The sending off was an utter joke and the first penalty wasn't much better ............ QotS not the team they were last season by the looks of it.

They'd won their first 3 games until yesterday, so not that bad a team, a better start than we've had, looks like it was just one of those days for them.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Just watched the highlights for an experienced player Lyle was very stupid to make the head motion especially with the 4th official a yard away. First penalty was never a pen in a million years. Rangers looked sharp and good going forward..

Fairly certain there was a fourth official at ER on Saturday dealing with the subs.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Just watched the highlights for an experienced player Lyle was very stupid to make the head motion especially with the 4th official a yard away. First penalty was never a pen in a million years. Rangers looked sharp and good going forward..
    Unfortunately at the moment they look capable of blowing everybody apart from us away ..... The hardest away games in this league are QotS, Falkirk, Raith Rovers and I would think St Mirren once they get their act together. At the moment I just cant see the Zombies dropping more points at these venues than we will. That's not a criticism of Hibs, just an assessment based on the way the season has started.

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Unfortunately at the moment they look capable of blowing everybody apart from us away ..... The hardest away games in this league are QotS, Falkirk, Raith Rovers and I would think St Mirren once they get their act together. At the moment I just cant see the Zombies dropping more points at these venues than we will. That's not a criticism of Hibs, just an assessment based on the way the season has started.
    I concur NN . We have to at least equal there results til we play them . Must beat them at ER . We will need to beat them in all the three games if we are to win the league imho .

GGTTH
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

The Rangers won comfortably against us when we had 6-8 potential first team players injured. They've also won comfortably against part time teams and teams that have had a player sent off. Apart from that they have struggled and relied on huge chunks of luck/favourable (dodgy) decisions. I'm sure they will drop plenty of points over the course of the season. It's up to us to drop less.

Quote Originally Posted by Cilla Black View Post
    The Rangers won comfortably against us when we had 6-8 potential first team players injured. They've also won comfortably against part time teams and teams that have had a player sent off. Apart from that they have struggled and relied on huge chunks of luck/favourable (dodgy) decisions. I'm sure they will drop plenty of points over the course of the season. It's up to us to drop less.
    I wasn't counting the 2 - 6 game ..... we were the better team until our makeshift midfield fell apart.

Warburton will get sacked in 2 or 3 years for a lack of getting anywhere near Celtic. His end is written already.

First Team Regular Canon Hannan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    He must be taken aback by how many things seem to go Rangers' way up here. He isn't used to it.
    The referee was a Rangers season ticket holder in the past too.