hibs.net Messageboard

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?

Jim Scott (Hibernian 1958-67)

I just realised it's Jim Scott's 75th birthday today. Many happy returns, Jim!

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Happy birthday Jim. Thanks for the memories.

@hibs.net private member eastterrace's Avatar
    he was one of my favorite player back then, great dribbling skills.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm-bogie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Happy birthday Jim. Thanks for the memories.
    Ditto. Quality player
    This is how it feels

Ah, Jim Scott.! One of my early heroes when I first went along in the early/mid 60's to see you with Pat Quinn, Neil Martin, Peter Cormack, Eric Stevenson.....can still see the small black and white pictures of your faces on rosettes they used to sell at the ground, haha.

Well, happy birthday Jim and thanks for some great young boyhood memories. That was an excellent team...

Quote Originally Posted by Roxyhibee View Post
    Ah, Jim Scott.! One of my early heroes when I first went along in the early/mid 60's to see you with Pat Quinn, Neil Martin, Peter Cormack, Eric Stevenson.....can still see the small black and white pictures of your faces on rosettes they used to sell at the ground, haha.

Well, happy birthday Jim and thanks for some great young boyhood memories. That was an excellent team...
    they were all quality players, no like the pish we watch now.

Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    I just realised it's Jim Scott's 75th birthday today. Many happy returns, Jim!
    Not sure why but we called him"dough legs" . Some great memories watching that team.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by inglisavhibs View Post
    Not sure why but we called him"dough legs" . Some great memories watching that team.

Maybe because he wasn't all that quick over the ground?

But he made up for it with phenomenal close control. A very fine player and a true gentleman. He and Alex opened a pub in Falkirk together. Both genuine guys.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Happy birthday Jim. I blame you and your teammates for turning me into a Hibby and making me suffer all these years!

Great days and the masochist tendancies in me wouldn't have changed any of them. Well maybe not.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    Happy birthday Jim. I blame you and your teammates for turning me into a Hibby and making me suffer all these years!

Great days and the masochist tendancies in me wouldn't have changed any of them. Well maybe not.
    Me too. Happy days

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post

Me too the barstewards: agree:

Coaching Staff
    Goodonya jim.

A superb player with the best dribbling skills I have seen in a Hibs jersey.

He would invite defenders to tackle him on the right side touch line, beat them on the outside, to be at a point where it seemed he HA D to cut inside...then beat the next one on the outside, and just when you thought he had done the impossible..he would beat the next one on the outside before whipping a cross in.

A linesman's nightmare!

I saw him later at Crystal Palace. John Yogi Hughes ex-Celtic was there too. I remember Scott used to take the pens at Hibs, rolling them into the corner. Joe Davis took over the job.

@hibs.net private member
    Happy 75th Birthday Jim (sorry it's a day late). You were a joy to watch in your time at Hibs. Hope the years have been kind to you.

He ended up at Palace, via Newcastle I believe, during their first couple of years in the old Division 1, had lost some pace by then, but was a good entertainer

Quote Originally Posted by eastterrace View Post
    they were all quality players, no like the pish we watch now.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolm-bogie View Post
    Agreed happy birthday Jim, that's the kind of quality player we used to take for granted 😎

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    I saw him later at Crystal Palace. John Yogi Hughes ex-Celtic was there too. I remember Scott used to take the pens at Hibs, rolling them into the corner. Joe Davis took over the job.
    Never forgave him for breaking Bobby Duncan's leg. Ref never even gave a foul
    This is how it feels

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Never forgave him for breaking Bobby Duncan's leg. Ref never even gave a foul

Oh yes. That Hughes (as opposed to Yogi who played for and managed us) was a very nasty piece of work.

I was at that game and I was convinced then that Hughes deliberately set out to do Bobby serious damage - and succeeded. Bobby was potentially a top-class right-back who could have played at the very highest level in the game. After the injury he was never the same player.

I'm still absolutely certain that Hughes deliberately stamped n Bobby's leg as Bobby went past him with the ball. Bobby had had Hughes in his pocket from kick-off and Hughes didn't like it.

As you say, John - no booking, no free-kick, and the Celtic fans chanting "Yogi ... Yogi ... Yogi ..." as the St Andrew's Ambulance guys carried Bobby off on a stretcher. Both the tibia and fibula were broken, IIRC - he must have been in agony. Stein subbed Hughes a couple of minutes later - if he hadn't some of our players would have dealt with him as he deserved - and probably been given lengthy suspensions for their trouble.

However, Jimmy Scott and his elder brother Alex were, as I've said, thorough gentlemen and capable of making a football do things Hughes couldn't ever have even imagined. Sadly, Alex died in 2002, in his early 60's.

It's not often a football club signs a player as a direct replacement for his younger brother, as we did with Alex after Jim moved to Newcastle.

Oh yes. That Hughes (as opposed to Yogi who played for and managed us) was a very nasty piece of work.

I was at that game and I was convinced then that Hughes deliberately set out to do Bobby serious damage - and succeeded. Bobby was potentially a top-class right-back who could have played at the very highest level in the game. After the injury he was never the same player.

I'm still absolutely certain that Hughes deliberately stamped n Bobby's leg as Bobby went past him with the ball. Bobby had had Hughes in his pocket from kick-off and Hughes didn't like it.

As you say, John - no booking, no free-kick, and the Celtic fans chanting "Yogi ... Yogi ... Yogi ..." as the St Andrew's Ambulance guys carried Bobby off on a stretcher. Both the tibia and fibula were broken, IIRC - he must have been in agony. Stein subbed Hughes a couple of minutes later - if he hadn't some of our players would have dealt with him as he deserved - and probably been given lengthy suspensions for their trouble.

However, Jimmy Scott and his elder brother Alex were, as I've said, thorough gentlemen and capable of making a football do things Hughes couldn't ever have even imagined. Sadly, Alex died in 2002, in his early 60's.

It's not often a football club signs a player as a direct replacement for his younger brother, as we did with Alex after Jim moved to Newcastle.
    This. I agree 100% Doddie
    This is how it feels

First Team Regular Billy McKirdy's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: N?A Wii Code: N?A
    Happy Birthday Jim, I was too young to see him play but he was in the Hibs team that beat Valencia 2-0 in the Fairs Cup the night I was born almost 50 years on the 8th September, I also got to know his son Jim quite well when we worked for the same company in the 1990s, I gave him my copy of Pat Stanton's book to give to his old man to read.

Coaching Staff

I was in the coo shed that day, and in those days all that separated the rival fans was a row of polis standing on a stairway.

I remember that the exchange of bottles and cans between the two sets of supporters was the worst I have ever seen it.

Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    I was in the coo shed that day, and in those days all that separated the rival fans was a row of polis standing on a stairway.

I remember that the exchange of bottles and cans between the two sets of supporters was the worst I have ever seen it.
    Happy days!

Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post

yes remember it well ended up on the pitch when the mass battle in the cow shed was going on.