hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alex Harris

First Team Regular

Alex Harris

Dundee Utd & Motherwell looking at Harris according to an ex Livingston player...dunno how he would know tho...anyone heard anything?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by fishybeaver View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dundee Utd & Motherwell looking at Harris according to an ex Livingston player...dunno how he would know tho...anyone heard anything?

Loan or permanent?

TBH since his ankle break then his father's death, the laddie has been pretty poor and nowhere near the player that broke onto the scene, maybe a fresh start is what's needed.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Loan or permanent?

TBH since his ankle break then his father's death, the laddie has been pretty poor and nowhere near the player that broke onto the scene, maybe a fresh start is what's needed.
    Very unfortunate, two things that are more than likely to take his mind off the game for a while

First Team Regular
    [QUOTE=J-C;4444830]Loan or permanent?

TBH since his ankle break then his father's death, the laddie has been pretty poor and nowhere near the player that broke onto the scene, maybe a fresh start is what's needed.[/QUOTE

Didn't say just that the SPL sides were look at him.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Loan or permanent?

His father died in 2012 before he broke into the first team...

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    His father died in 2012 before he broke into the first team...
    That's right. It was before he made his debut so I can't see that effecting him on the park. Seemed a prospect at first as well!

He lost his form a bit before he was injured and since he's been back he's not shown enough for me to merit a place in the team. I think Stubbs telling him if he found a club he could go says it all. Him, Handling and Stanton should be tearing up this league yet they are very soft!

All three I'd be happy to see go if we could get a few in to replace them.

Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    That's right. It was before he made his debut so I can't see that effecting him on the park. Seemed a prospect at first as well!

He lost his form a bit before he was injured and since he's been back he's not shown enough for me to merit a place in the team. I think Stubbs telling him if he found a club he could go says it all. Him, Handling and Stanton should be tearing up this league yet they are very soft!

Agree with you mostly TC but I'd like to see Stanton given more of a chance. That's unlikely to happen due to competition in the midfield so maybe just a loan for him for now and we can see how he does elsewhere first.

I think we'd be mental to let him go at this stage.

There's no denying he hasn't contributed enough since his injury.

Buy we're not exactly over-run with options out wide, and certainly not options who have pace. What happens if Boyle picks up another injury?

He's not had a run of games to let us down of late - the odd fleeting appearance when he has looked good (Dunfermline) and not so good (Montrose).

He's the kind of guy that I'd love to have on the bench on Sunday - last 10, tiring legs - may just be the opportunity he needs.

We're very quick to write players off.

Quote Originally Posted by Purehibee_MYB View Post
    Agree with you mostly TC but I'd like to see Stanton given more of a chance. That's unlikely to happen due to competition in the midfield so maybe just a loan for him for now and we can see how he does elsewhere first.
    Stanton is the best out the three. Maybe a loan deal would be best for him! Ive nothing against any of these players, I just don't think they are good enough. If you aren't doing it in this league then you aren't good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post

Buy we're not exactly over-run with options out wide, and certainly not options who have pace. What happens if Boyle picks up another injury?

He's not had a run of games to let us down of late - the odd fleeting appearance when he has looked good (Dunfermline) and not so good (Montrose).

He's the kind of guy that I'd love to have on the bench on Sunday - last 10, tiring legs - may just be the opportunity he needs.

I'm sorry but that is rubbish, Harris has had more than enough chances to be a success in the first team, second half against Falkirk and once he came on as a sub at Tynecastle, those are the only two times I recall Harris having a positive impact. We can't keep donating wages to players who are never going to make it at Hibs. Harris has some potential but unfortunately I don't see that bearing fruits whilst he is with Hibs. If Boyle were to get injured we can easily change formation so that shouldn't have a bearing on it. We have more than enough options at our disposal.

I don't think anyone is quick to write him off. How many chances do we give someone before we say actually he just isn't good enough? If he was Stubbs wouldn't have said he's free to find himself a new club! Cut our loses with Alex and try get someone else in.

His loan with Dundee started ok then he was benched and never really played did he? I know Hartley wasn't fussed about him coming back!

Unfortunately, this season we need every player to be at the top of their game and pulling their weight. Harris is a shadow of the lad who broke into the Hibs team 2 years ago, following his ankle injury, and might need to move on to move on. Sometimes it just takes a fresh start to get a player going again.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenArmyyy! View Post
    I'm sorry but that is rubbish, Harris has had more than enough chances to be a success in the first team, second half against Falkirk and once he came on as a sub at Tynecastle, those are the only two times I recall Harris having a positive impact. We can't keep donating wages to players who are never going to make it at Hibs. Harris has some potential but unfortunately I don't see that bearing fruits whilst he is with Hibs. If Boyle were to get injured we can easily change formation so that shouldn't have a bearing on it. We have more than enough options at our disposal.
    I've been very critical of Harris in the past - he drives me nuts because there's no doubt he should be doing better.

According to some we're on the point of signing McGeoch - our umpteenth central midfielder, we're nearly going to have as many as Fenlon had at this rate.

The Rangers' weaknesses have been discussed and most people would agree that their weakness is probably their pace at the back, so why we're all so keen to get rid of one of our few pacy players is a bit of a mystery to me.

If you don't have pace in your team then you get plodding side-to-side passing football with no cutting edge - which is rapidly becoming our trademark.

I just think he's worth another shot - I thought he looked lively against Dunfermline, didn't do so well against Montrose but still managed to create the opening goal with a well-weighted pass. Hasn't had a chance since (even though I would have pitched him on in the Dumbarton game when it was running away from us).

If we're going to write him off and get rid then we better have a quick wide player coming in.

wouldn't loose any sleep if Harris were to leave ,hasn't done enough the times i've saw him

The Rangers' weaknesses have been discussed and most people would agree that their weakness is probably their pace at the back, so why we're all so keen to get rid of one of our few pacy players is a bit of a mystery to me.
    When was the last time you seen Harris out pace anybody? Since the injury, the pace is just not there. He's more tentative going forwards than any of the midfielders we have at the club and usually doubles back to play the safe ball.
    I think once McGeogh arrives that the 3 players will have been replaced and Stanton and Harris will go on loan.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    When was the last time you seen Harris out pace anybody? Since the injury, the pace is just not there. He's more tentative going forwards than any of the midfielders we have at the club and usually doubles back to play the safe ball.
    I think once McGeogh arrives that the 3 players will have been replaced and Stanton and Harris will go on loan.
    At Dunfermline. Beat his man all ends up on the right, got a decent cross over and was unlucky not to get an assist.

Which is what sometimes happens when you play right footed players on the right. I'm sure Carmichael is capable of this too, if played on the right like he was at QotS.

Harris seemed to be mainly on the left against Montrose which makes you want to cut in a bit more. Which he did well when he played the pass in for the first goal in that game.

I'm not saying he's been outstanding but he's made enough of a contribution in fleeting appearances to be worth another shot.

@hibs.net private member eastterrace's Avatar

last ten tiring legs , were does this myth come from. these guys are athletes , so running about for 80 mins wont surely knacker them. as for harris sorry the lads not got it, compare him to some hearts youngsters and he is way behind them.

last ten tiring legs, were does this myth come from, these guys

Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post

Why then when I mentioned him not being mentally strong enough the usual suspect posters shoot me down citing this as a reason for his poor form, I knew he lost his father but didn't know when, I just think he's bottled it after his break and won't get back to that level again, it happens in football.

At Dunfermline. Beat his man all ends up on the right, got a decent cross over and was unlucky not to get an assist.

Which is what sometimes happens when you play right footed players on the right. I'm sure Carmichael is capable of this too, if played on the right like he was at QotS.

Harris seemed to be mainly on the left against Montrose which makes you want to cut in a bit more. Which he did well when he played the pass in for the first goal in that game.

I'm not saying he's been outstanding but he's made enough of a contribution in fleeting appearances to be worth another shot.

Think Carmichael is a left footer who plays on the right, maybe be wrong but don't think I am.

Think Carmichael is a left footer who plays on the right, maybe be wrong but don't think I am.
    Put in a fair few crosses from the left with his right foot on Saturday

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    My first impression of Carmichael is that his is no better than Harris. We seem to be continually bringing in new players who are no better that the players moved out to accommodate them.

I presume that Dundee weren't desperate to keep Harris then?

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    If there's no benefit to us in sending him out on loan then we should just keep him. It's strange that he seems to be in demand at a higher level than us, yet is deemed not good enough for us.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    If there's no benefit to us in sending him out on loan then we should just keep him. It's strange that he seems to be in demand at a higher level than us, yet is deemed not good enough for us.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    Or Boyle

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm-bogie View Post
    My first impression of Carmichael is that his is no better than Harris. We seem to be continually bringing in new players who are no better that the players moved out to accommodate them.
    A bit early to be judging him, no? One game in after an injury. Scott Allan looked average in his first few games for us

I've been very critical of Harris in the past - he drives me nuts because there's no doubt he should be doing better.

According to some we're on the point of signing McGeoch - our umpteenth central midfielder, we're nearly going to have as many as Fenlon had at this rate.

If you don't have pace in your team then you get plodding side-to-side passing football with no cutting edge - which is rapidly becoming our trademark.

I just think he's worth another shot - I thought he looked lively against Dunfermline, didn't do so well against Montrose but still managed to create the opening goal with a well-weighted pass. Hasn't had a chance since (even though I would have pitched him on in the Dumbarton game when it was running away from us).

If we're going to write him off and get rid then we better have a quick wide player coming in.
    I agree.

How many good games has Harris actually had for Hibs? As in games were he really stood out as being something special.

Hearts at Tynecastle and the 2nd half of a semi final v Falkirk are the only 2 I can think off. He showed a fair few glimpses but his form was already dipping prior to the injury that is often seen as the catalyst for his downturn in performance. For reasons I don't understand after ripping apart Hearts and Falkirk in the games mentioned he seemed to lose confidence to just go past a man and was always looking to go inside or offload the ball. Maybe that was on instruction from the manager at the time but he never seems to have got over it.

There's only so long you can wait for a player to come good. His injury was a long time ago now, the loan move last year started well but fizzled out pretty quickly and he's not really impressed enough in the games he's had this season. If an offer comes in for him that is acceptable to club and player I can't say I'd be overly upset to see him go. Looked like he had bags of potential but it hasn't really worked out and I doubt it ever will at ER.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Gmack7 View Post
    Or Boyle
    I was under the impression that they had offered Boyle a contract.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    They were but Stubbs said no back in May, it was in the EEN