hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

It's all gone a wee bit quiet..............

on the transfer front, or is it just me?? The real business starts in about 3 weeks, and we're still short of a first team squad player or 3 IMO.

I know Hibs keep their cards predominantely close to their chests and the right people are probably scuttling around trying to get deals done behind the scenes but - as we know from experience - players picked up a day or 2 before the transfer window "slams shut" are usually mediocre at best and/or take a number of weeks to get integrated into the squad and up to match-fitness.

We need to hit the ground running, beat Rangers away on August 22nd and never look back. No fannying about, there's now no reason or excuse why we shouldn't do what Hearts did last year - or close to it - and comfortably skoosh this league, albeit probably with a couple of traditional Hibs cock-ups along the way.

I hope we have the 1st team squad - both in terms of starting XI quality and strength in depth - to do that but with our chronic luck with injuries/niggles seemingly already rearing its head, I'm a mite concerned we currently don't.

Or am I being a fanny?

2. Log in to remove the advert

We are still lacking a player or two but have a hell of a start on Rangers, we will be fine come the start of the season IMO.

I think that we're only after a defensive mid player now so not likley to hear a lot as were only after one more player really.

I expect 2 more to come in! Both Midfielders. Holt development fee may have stopped that deal. But I'm more than sure Hibs will be speaking to a number of players about signing!

Promising Youngster dunedinhibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Hibernianfcggtth
    Anyone know if were still trying to get kiss or was there nothing in it?

Yep 2 more max. DM and one all rounder.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dunedinhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anyone know if were still trying to get kiss or was there nothing in it?
    He's talking to Us, Motherwell and Hearts. Was due to train with us but heard his agent pulled him out while he talks to other clubs.

quality not quantity.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    Yep 2 more max. DM and one all rounder.
    Has Keith Watson signed? Did I miss this?

Regardless, seems clear that the two lads coming through as full backs (Crane and Dunsmore?) will play a part.

And tough on Danny Handling if he has picked up an injury.

Coaching Staff
    We need a minimum of three to get to where we were.

I'd be happier with one or two more though. We were left very short at times last year and I'm not sure the younger players can be expected to be any more ready than they were a few weeks ago.

Robertson and McGeough were both pretty key players who played when they were available. I think their loss to the squad shouldn't be underestimated.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post

I'd be happier with one or two more though. We were left very short at times last year and I'm not sure the younger players can be expected to be any more ready than they were a few weeks ago.

Robertson and McGeough were both pretty key players who played when they were available. I think their loss to the squad shouldn't be underestimated.
    You can add Liam Craig to that as well. Whatever his failings, Stubbs rated him higher than Handling, Stanton and Harris. We need three new signings imo, especially if Handling is out for a while.
    Right now we are short of a team never mind a squad.
    I'm sure Hibs know this so I'm not panicking, yet.

Whilst they were, I still think there was something not quite right about the midfield at times. The fact that we leaked the odd silly goal wasn't just down to the defence and the fact that we failed to break teams down wasn't just down to the strikers. Allan and Fyvie were the main men and we've held onto them. Whilst Robertson and McGeoch were both good players and contributed a lot (as did Liam Craig who we have also lost), you can't just go again with the same players and expect something different to happen. That means that you sometimes have to sacrifice players that you like or get rid of folk who have done quite well for you in the hope that someone else coming in does better and adds a bit more to the "blend".

I do think we're a couple short, especially now it looks like Danny Handling has been cruelly denied his opportunity to stake a claim.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Whilst they were, I still think there was something not quite right about the midfield at times. The fact that we leaked the odd silly goal wasn't just down to the defence and the fact that we failed to break teams down wasn't just down to the strikers. Allan and Fyvie were the main men and we've held onto them. Whilst Robertson and McGeoch were both good players and contributed a lot (as did Liam Craig who we have also lost), you can't just go again with the same players and expect something different to happen. That means that you sometimes have to sacrifice players that you like or get rid of folk who have done quite well for you in the hope that someone else coming in does better and adds a bit more to the "blend".

I do think we're a couple short, especially now it looks like Danny Handling has been cruelly denied his opportunity to stake a claim.
    Agree with all that. Maybe different bodies but bodies required all the same just now. We've got a bit of time though.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Agree with all that. Maybe different bodies but bodies required all the same just now. We've got a bit of time though.
    Have we got time Andy, this place will go into meltdown if we were to lose against Rangers a week on Saturday. It's a shame we've drawn them, could have done with a nice wee easy fixture, particularly with all the injuries/unfit players we have at the moment

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheBull1875
    Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    on the transfer front, or is it just me?? The real business starts in about 3 weeks, and we're still short of a first team squad player or 3 IMO.

I know Hibs keep their cards predominantely close to their chests and the right people are probably scuttling around trying to get deals done behind the scenes but - as we know from experience - players picked up a day or 2 before the transfer window "slams shut" are usually mediocre at best and/or take a number of weeks to get integrated into the squad and up to match-fitness.

We need to hit the ground running, beat Rangers away on August 22nd and never look back. No fannying about, there's now no reason or excuse why we shouldn't do what Hearts did last year - or close to it - and comfortably skoosh this league, albeit probably with a couple of traditional Hibs cock-ups along the way.

I hope we have the 1st team squad - both in terms of starting XI quality and strength in depth - to do that but with our chronic luck with injuries/niggles seemingly already rearing its head, I'm a mite concerned we currently don't.

Or am I being a fanny?
    Chatte.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Have we got time Andy, this place will go into meltdown if we were to lose against Rangers a week on Saturday. It's a shame we've drawn them, could have done with a nice wee easy fixture, particularly with all the injuries/unfit players we have at the moment
    I dunno about that - I dont give monkeys about that cup, only interested in the league this year and gaining more points over the season than Sevco - We can field the dev squad for the Petrofac as far as I am concerned.

Only my opinion, but doubt I am the only one.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    It's a pretty meaningless competition so it is a tie I think we can afford to lose.

It doesn't matter what the result is, we'll learn a lot about our players in that game. Even if we don't add to our squad we have Stanton and Martin who are midfielders, Stevenson has played there in the past, maybe Carmichael can play as an advanced central midfielder. Handling's injury might not be as bad as has been feared.

The whole squad needs tested in big games and the The Rangers game is now a big game. If we lose or the fringe players don't contribute then we know we need to add to our squad. If they step up to the plate then if they can do it in a cup tie against The Rangers then they should be up to doing it against everyone in the league this season. We'll learn more about our players playing in a cup tie with a big crowd behind us at home than we would ramming 7 past a bunch of part-timers in an echoey, empty stadium. I think it is a great draw and exactly what we would have wanted to prepare us for the league season which is what it is all about this year.

I would like to see at least a one central midfielder being brought in though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    You can add Liam Craig to that as well. Whatever his failings, Stubbs rated him higher than Handling, Stanton and Harris. We need three new signings imo, especially if Handling is out for a while.
    Right now we are short of a team never mind a squad.
    I'm sure Hibs know this so I'm not panicking, yet.
    This for me too. McGeough, Robertson and Craig were all players who contributed last season, especially Robertson whose efforts were undervalued IMO .... none of them were irreplaceable players, but as far as I can see as yet they haven't been replaced ..... I will bow to the greater knowledge of those who watch the development squad as to whether any of the midfielders can step up ... but if not we really do need to sign at least one decent midfielder before the season proper starts, especially in view of what could be a long term injury to the unfortunate Danny Handling.

Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    I dunno about that - I dont give monkeys about that cup, only interested in the league this year and gaining more points over the season than Sevco - We can field the dev squad for the Petrofac as far as I am concerned.

Only my opinion, but doubt I am the only one.
    I agree to a point, I don't give a hoot about the cups this year either but a win over Sevco in the Petrie cup gives us a chance to put early pressure on their new manager, the board, players etc. which could affect their league form.

Stubbs said in his interview that he knows he still has a couple of things still to do so I think he knows we still need another couple, which is good news. I think we'll get it done before the season starts

Left by mutual consent!
    Hopefully we are still trying to get McGeouch back.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheBull1875
    I agree to a point, I don't give a hoot about the cups this year either but a win over Sevco in the Petrie cup gives us a chance to put early pressure on their new manager, the board, players etc. which could affect their league form.

We still need 2 more fairly experienced midfielders, Handling and Stanton have been to told either shape up or ship out, basically a kick up the bum for motivation but they are not the answer as I still feel they are still too inconsistent to push us further, would love them to prove me wrong. Young Scott Martin looks and sounds like a prospect but he's still a lad with a lot of learning to do, so we need experienced midfielders brought in, yes we've lost 3 this season but as good as Robertson did, a holding midfielder he was not and McGeouch is too similar to Allan and Fyvie but not nearly as good as them, we need someone different.

Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post

Or am I being a fanny?
    You asked the question, so I'll answer. Fanny. 😊

I trust Stubbs totally and he's not daft. We'll get the players we need in time for the big kick off. I wish folk would stop worrying.

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    You asked the question, so I'll answer. Fanny.

I trust Stubbs totally and he's not daft. We'll get the players we need in time for the big kick off. I wish folk would stop worrying.
    If we ever stop worrying, the club have got a problem. :-)

If we ever stop worrying, the club have got a problem. :-)
    Indeed. And half the regulars on this board would disappear!

@hibs.net private member essexhibee's Avatar
    Stubbs will have it sorted got total confidence in that.
    ​​
    Scottish Cup Winners 2016 - The Immortals

Certainly not worried at the moment but we definitely need at least three first team players to come in.

We're still short in defence and in midfield.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    It has to be remembered that we're still 3 1/2 weeks away from the start of the league season. It's a bit of a pain that we've drawn the huns in the challenge cup as we would have been looking to coast through that and the first round of the league cup.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by Trig View Post
    Certainly not worried at the moment but we definitely need at least three first team players to come in.

We're still short in defence and in midfield.
    The last interview I saw Stubbs do he was clear we still need to bring three players in ,and am sure he said he didn't need to move players on to do that ,as there was flexibility .Kieth Watson was clearly one of those three ,and as far as I know he is still with us but injured ,so you have to assume that he would like that deal to be done ,but given he was out injured at end of last season ,he needs to prove his fitness .
    He also is on record as saying he hasn't given up on McGeoch yet ,and he is still at Celtoc , and not playing ,so assume available ,but clearly we can't just wait and expect that one to happen ,so Stubbs will be looking at other players as contingency if that one falls through .
    He has also said he needs a midfielder with a bit of steel ,but who can break up play ,win the ball back ,and make a pass ,so I think that's the type of player he had hoped to bring in by now ,but he also said he was prepared to be patient to get the right type of player.
    He then indicated that to fill up the squad there would need to be movement ,so I expect some players to either go out on loan or maybe one of the younger players with first team experience to move on .Whether the injury to Handling if long term ,prevents that is now open to question
    If Keatings and Dan can't get game time in before the Rangers game because of injury ,then both if fit by that time would need to get game time ,as would any new signing ,so think Stubbs thinking for Rangers game will be changing as the next week progresses ,although the team that started against Berwick ,as Billy whizz pointed out ,might not be far off his starting 11 for that game .
    Last edited by Ronniekirk; 16-07-2015 at 07:17 AM.